Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 10-10-2005, 02:50 PM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

Default One left

For those who have asked, I still have one copy of the s2k server package left available for sale.

The server I am using to store it on will shut down in a few days.

Last edited by Scorpious2k; 10-11-2005 at 06:32 AM..
Old 10-11-2005, 11:21 AM
gottasummer
Discordant

How much?

Does it include the login server? And wouldn't that be making the EQEmu devs upset because the login server isn't supposed to be released?
Old 10-11-2005, 03:20 PM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

It does NOT include the login server, that is run by the developers staff as always. The one we used and you would use has some custom code in it to support a secret project we had been working on, but I am not free to talk about here. That project *is* included if you want to continue with it.

The package includes

200+ populated zones including custom designed zones

player accounts and player characters (gives you a potential starting player base) these are the way players left them the day the server shut down

custom items
custom spells
quests

custom code (including the source)

a copy of the s2k website (excluding forums) with the data and tutorials it had

some notes, etc

general utilities we used

the "secret project"

general support from myself and Dindoleki to help you get it running

we've been getting $200 per copy
Old 10-11-2005, 10:32 PM
gottasummer
Discordant

Oh... erm... I don't mean to be rude... but thanks for your time. That is much more than what I was thinking...

I am a C++ Programmer myself and will probably try customizing the Emu.... but $200 for a modified open source program is too much for me.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:39 AM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottasummer
Oh... erm... I don't mean to be rude... but thanks for your time. That is much more than what I was thinking...

I am a C++ Programmer myself and will probably try customizing the Emu.... but $200 for a modified open source program is too much for me.
It's more than just modified code.

It's a complete database with over 200 populated zones and an existing player base. It has custom quests. It's tested and stable. It also includes support in setting it up by the people who ran the original server.

And best of all, with the exception of a few ini file changes and bat file changes, it's basically plug it in and start it up.

I understand that it may be too much money, but we decided to limit the number of copies we would release to keep the number of clones down so there wouldn't be 100 poor quality s2k servers out there. We decided to charge for it to ensure that those who got it were serious about it.

We might be willing to let copies of the source out for less money (without quests and database) but I would have to talk to Tark and Myra about it since they have been co-serverops since the first day the server came online.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:23 PM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

I sold this one, but I have one I have been holding for someone who seems to have disapeared so to those who were interested, I have this one left. Send me a PM.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:29 AM
Melwin
Fire Beetle

Damn, I wonder how much we could sell WR for.

Not that we would.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:59 AM
Sakrateri
Dragon

How do you sell an existing player base to different people? are all of those players going to guarantee to be on each server bought? sorry just curious how that works.

Game Gallery

My Forums

Old 11-07-2005, 03:47 AM
sdabbs65
Dragon

Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melwin
Damn, I wonder how much we could sell WR for.

Not that we would.

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

www.cheaterz.info
Old 11-07-2005, 01:24 PM
Woodlife Treestrider
Banned

Imo selling S2K was the most horrible idea you could make... now we have like 10 S2K versions just floating around. Fucking stupid.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:14 AM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakrateri
How do you sell an existing player base to different people? are all of those players going to guarantee to be on each server bought? sorry just curious how that works.
There is no guarantee.

The idea is that if someone has put time into creating and leveling a character (or several) it would be more appealing to go back to that character and continue on a familiar server than to start another one at level one on a strange server. It was our expirience to have players come back and do this with characters they had made a year or even two years before.

In my opinion this is an advantage over starting from scratch with a server and hoping someone discovers it and plays on it.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:33 AM
Killawen
Sarnak

So selling it for 200 dollars helps all that? Lol.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:54 AM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killawen
So selling it for 200 dollars helps all that? Lol.
No, we were going to give it away for free ay first, Then we thought about dozens of poor quality clones running and decided we needed a better idea. By charging for it we can control the number of copies that get out there and ensure that the people running it are serious about it and willing to not only invest a little money in it, but also some time.

Our dream was that each would take the S2K server as a BASE and change it according to their own vision. Making alternatives to the current single option of the PEQ/EQ Live versions that are out there now. Changing the original S2K and making 5-6 different servers with their own ideas and style.

With only one database currently available for EQEmu, most servers look the same. The amount of effort to change it and make something unique and different is overwhelming. Starting with a DB that has over 200 zones, including 10 custom ones that aren't on live, gives them a big start. Custom quests is another boost since anyone who has worked with quests knows the amount of work that is required to write and test these.

Give the players something unique, fun, and stable and they will come. I think S2K, WR, and Guildwars have proven this. How many of the other servers out there have approached or passed the 100+ players online mark?

The S2K server represents about 30 months of development, with custom code, zones, quests, items, and more. It contains creative ideas of players as well as our staff, Myra, Dindoleki, and myself. Any server op can do the same if he is willing to put in the time. When he does, assuming it takes the same time that it took us, he will be at this level by the year 2008. For a very few, we have offered the chance to skip this and jump in with a head start. A two and a half year lead over the competition with a proven server and the chance to make it something of their own; something better.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:22 AM
Demi-God

GuildWars is now on sale for... 2 billion dollars!!!
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:20 AM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by image
GuildWars is now on sale for... 2 billion dollars!!!
Maybe if you throw in Devn00b....