Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Support > Archive::Windows Servers

Archive::Windows Servers Archive area for Windows Servers's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 10-28-2002, 06:52 AM
pms
Sarnak

Default Let me try again. POP/luclin exp

I'm going to restate the question as there seems to be some that are a tad too touchy on this board.

When eq is patching/checking where does it keep the file list ? Server-side or contained in your officially licensed and paid for eq installation directory ?

Inside the eq installation directory on my hard drive, installed from the official licensed and paid for eq CDROMs what files make up an entire zone ?

When I patched from the eqlive severs with the unmodified and just installed off my EQ CDROMs I noticed some zones now have .xmi files. What are those and are they required for playing eq on a server located on Sony/ Varent property and for which I have paid my monthly fees ?

Legal notice:

EverQuest and You
Old 10-28-2002, 09:40 AM
Lurker_005
Demi-God

Your previous post was a poorly hidden attemt of asking for pop files without buying the expansion. Which as you seem aware of is aginst the forum rules. Why is that being touchy?

If not for the first post making it obvious this one might not get closed for the same reason.

as far as XMI, they are music files. Midi files posibly.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:08 AM
pms
Sarnak

Default Not really

Thanks for your opinion but, really it was not my intent to 'ask' anyone for the files. I asked a question if they can be downloaded thru the patch mechanism. If you cant see the difference then I don't know what to tell you. Asking a question about the zone data files, again, has absoultly nothing to do with asking anyone to send me ANYTHING. The whole emulator is built on reverse engineering captured data packets and examining data files that are the property of Sony. To take a stand that asking if the files can be downloaded thru the patch tool is 'warez' while developing and discussing a system that allows you to completely circumvent Sony's fee collections is hypocrisy. While I agree that there should be no posting of links for file downloads or requests for the location to download the files, censoring any mention of the exsistance of said files or censoring of questions about them is absurd.
Old 10-28-2002, 12:29 PM
xSigmax
Sarnak

Default LOL

Understood totally, I love EQEmu and everything but<edited>

I dont want to have a comment .. LOL
Old 10-28-2002, 01:14 PM
Lurker_005
Demi-God

A lot of it comes down to where you think the line should be drawn.

-asking for files
-asking for links to files
-asking how to find/get the files

Doing any of the above on public boards exposes a lot of people to it that may not have even considered the idea, but now have the means to get the files.

I just fealt that the first post was over the line, and this one just seemed like it might be too much right after that other post.
Old 10-28-2002, 02:02 PM
kunta
Sarnak

but what about links to sony / eq's files? would this be warez? it is their files on their servers? if this is warez, I wont post anything about it, but if not, then I will post here how to get them.
Old 10-28-2002, 02:47 PM
pms
Sarnak

Seems like your trying too hard to justify the locking of the thread. I think you miss the point of why the rule was probably (probably because I didn't make it) made in the first place. To keep this board out of legal trouble by not providing direct links to copyrighted material. That will get you angry letters from lawyers. Given following the instructions given on this board for using the emulator alone violate the licensing of the EQ EULA and that isn't censored why censor one and not the other ? If I could change a file in the directory that caused the download of patches it would be NO different then changing the eqhost.txt files according to the EULA. Legally your danger would come from the DMCA and I can take a pretty good guess that the emulator and this board are already in violation of that.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:39 AM
Monchichi
Fire Beetle

Default rotfl

NT
Old 10-29-2002, 04:05 AM
kathgar
Discordant

Wow, you must be a great lawyer! Considering the DMCA only has to do with copyright protection mechanisms such as CSS(as in DVDs, not Casscading Style Sheets) and the such. Downloading the files without permision is Copyright Infringment and as such, with us and/or Sourceforge providing you with the information could really fuck us, which would not be good. Oh, and the emulator isn't illegal, oh no it violates some EULA... that I never accepted..that isn't really binding...You are lucky you aren't banned for making ANOTHER thread after the first one is locked.

"while developing and discussing a system that allows you to completely circumvent Sony's fee collections is hypocrisy"
Considering the emu is NO WHERE NEAR and will NEVER be remotely in the realm of their servers, we aren't taking much revenue. Infact, we might even be giving them some(people buying the game/expansions, not using/not using much their resources, people playing the emu then getting hooked on live..)

"While I agree that there should be no posting of links for file downloads or requests for the location to download the files, censoring any mention of the exsistance of said files or censoring of questions about them is absurd."

Did I censor anything? No, I did not delete any post, edit any post, I only locked the thread. Forcing someone who would want to give you said information via email but not through us.

Edit: IANAL, but IANAnIdiot and I have read things such as the DMCA, the Electronic theft act, blah balh balh..
Old 10-29-2002, 04:37 AM
devn00b
Demi-God

PMS: Whats so hard about accepting the rules that EQEmu has set down for the forums/irc? is that so hard? it is THERE board after all. you dont like the rules go elsewhere simple as that.

there are plenty of places that will answer/have the info you are looking for (tho i wont tell you).
Member of the "I hate devn00b" Club
Most Senior EQEMu Member.

Current Work: EverQuest 2 Emulator. Zeklabs Server
Old 10-29-2002, 04:53 AM
pms
Sarnak

Go ahead and ban me if you like. That will keep me quiet if that's what you want. Getting information off this board is like pulling teeth. Ask a question and you are likely to be flamed by one of the 3-4 guys that hang around on this board full time looking for people to give shit to. This board seem to contain elements of both the official Sony EQ whine boards and the scriptkidz scene. I don't think I have ever seen such an unfirendly fucking board in my life. Instead of looking for imaginary 'warez' posts you should try putting a leash on the dog pound there and try and make this a board people care if they are banned from or not.
Old 10-29-2002, 06:23 AM
kunta
Sarnak

Your first post (in this thread) if completely off topic. It has nothing to do with the emulator, or even windows support for the EMULATOR. You are asking for help with the client. If you need help with the client, call sony, post in the off topic forum. What you are asking for has ZERO things to do with this emulator.

If you dont like how people respond to your post on this board, GO AWAY. Nobody is forcing you to stay here.
Old 10-29-2002, 06:52 AM
pms
Sarnak

Nobody has been particularly hard on any of my past posts. Its a general observation of the response to many of the posts in the support forums. Go read some and see what I mean. Seems like so much time is spent flaming over if it is the right forum or not or telling them to rtfm or 'is it warez' that the noise level makes half the threads not worth reading. I'll be honest, I don't care about if I read this board or not.. The files for the emulator are availible thru sourceforge and there is no real information to be had here that can't be found elsewhere. I'm only responding to this whole thing because I feel a need to defend my position and to show the hypocrisy of this whole thing. As I said, I do understand the legal need to keep the forum free from software but, the paranoia over things that even slightly might be considered 'warez' is pointless. I asked how I can change my installed files to download patches. How is that at all different then installing EQ and patching to play the emulator ? In both cases you have obtained the files to use the emulator and no software was obtained from the eqemu web pages. You can no longer use the latest eqemu without patching yet by Kathgars logic if anyone was to say to patch from sony before trying the emulator they would be promoting or asking for the 'warez' he is so scared of seeing here.
Old 10-29-2002, 06:59 AM
kunta
Sarnak

No, what you were asking is how to get files that sony didnt want you to have. From other posts in this forum, that isnt cool here, that has been posted, I even offered how to get those files, but then someone posted that its not ok, and I respect that. You should too. There are many other sources to find out how to get the files and they condone posting ways to get them. They are out there, you just have to find them. In other words, dont bring that here, dont even hint for that here. Your asking for something this community doesnt support, so respect that or expect to get pissed off people flaming you.

- Kunta
Old 10-29-2002, 07:19 AM
a_Guest03
Demi-God

If the food's free, the chef doesn't care if you liked it.