Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:01 AM
trevius
Developer

Yes, they did do that, but they also set it so that if you start another EQ session while one is already running, the second session will use the next available core. So, for people with dual or quad cores, this will make it so boxing uses each of their cores instead of all being hard set to 1 of them, or them having to manually change them each time.

Though, by multi-core support, I mostly meant that they resolved most of the previous multi-core issues with EQ. EQEmu players using SoD should not have to do anything special in order to play whether they run a multi-core CPU or not. That is a nice bonus, as many have had multi-core problems, and wasted hours of time to resolve them, if they were ever even able to resolve them. Having a client that can readily support today's hardware is a big plus IMO.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:33 PM
titan_g
Fire Beetle

Just wanted to point out that SoD is still $2.50 on Steam as of today (April 3rd).
Old 04-03-2010, 05:35 PM
trevius
Developer

I am hoping the Public Login Server is compatible with SoD soon. We are running out of issues to fix with SoD, and need more players using it to give us bug reports so we can fix them. As it is, it looks like it is nearly caught up with SoF and may not be long before it is caught up with Titanium (or surpassing it).

Again, I strongly recommend that anyone who has not picked up a copy of SoD yet do so now before that sale ends! It is an amazing deal for what I believe is an amazing client for EQEmu. I have not had even 1 client crash that wasn't caused by development work. So far, it seems even more stable than Titanium is!
Old 04-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Aye, it is much more feasible to let the players get a hold of it and tear it up... Only so much you can do switching back and forth between the spectrum
Old 04-04-2010, 01:52 AM
trevius
Developer

Here is an update on the SoD client that I have been posting around on a few of the popular EQEmu server forums. Figured I would share it here as well to keep everyone informed of the status:

Currently, as of now, the sale of SoD from steam for $2.50 is still going even though it is well after March 28th when it said the sale was supposed to end. If you don't have your copy of SoD yet, I recommend getting one before the sale ends!

Link to Steam for getting the SoD client for EQEmu:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/24130/

Currently, we are still waiting on Rogean to update the EQEmu Public Login Server to work with SoD, but that should hopefully happen any day now.

The EQEmu developers have been hard at work to get the SoD client caught up with SoF and beyond and even though it has been less than 2 weeks that we have been working on it, it is already nearly done! All major systems seem to function very well. We have resolved just about all of the known issues with the SoD client already and only have a couple of minor issues left to work on until we start getting more bug reports from players actually playing and testing all systems. As soon as the Login Server is allowing SoD clients to log in, any server that is current with the SVN will be able to allow SoD clients to start playing immediately.

I have left my SoD client logged into my test server every day since I was first able to get in over a week ago, and have not crashed a single time other than while we were working on some development stuff. So, the client itself is definitely much more stable than SoF and probably even more stable than Titanium.

It has built-in multi-core CPU support that means you won't need to worry about adding any multi-core fixes or anything to be able to run SoD. It also assigns EQ to a single core per session you have up and will assign your first session to 1 core, and your next EQ session to the next available core and so on. This means that boxing performance should be better than normal on most other clients.

SoD also has a feature to let you set the frame rate for EQ windows in the background, which further helps with boxing performance. One nice improvement that SoD has over SoF is that it has an option that will let you lock the window size when in windowed mode, which prevents accidental window resizing and a potential crash. I haven't seen a single issue from switching windows when boxing on SoD so far.

I also notice that SoD does not spike your CPU to 100% and keep it there like Titanium and SoF can do sometimes. SoD only seems to use the CPU amount that it actually needs, so I think that helps with performance and stability as well.

The SoD client also works much better with custom UIs than SoF did, since SoF has a known bug with UIs that was worked out before the SoD client came out. I have tested quite a few UIs on SoD, and so far, it seems to work with many of the UIs from the beginning of 2009 up to even the most current UIs out there. There may need to be some slight adjustments needed for custom UIs from different expansions (like Underfoot) to work 100% correctly on SoD, but in general they seem to work well for the most part.

The SoF client took us months of work to get it to the point we now have SoD now in less than 2 weeks! I expect some very nice things from the SoD client and again am recommending that everyone who can afford the $2.50 to get it right now and download it before the sale ends.

If you are interested on the current development status of SoD, you can check the development tracking thread for it here:

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30909

As you can see, there are not many issues with it that we are aware of that haven't already been resolved. I have even been going back through some of the remaining SoF issues that also exist in SoD and resolving them too. My hopes are that this will be the next mainstream EQEmu client and will replace Titanium. The more people that get it now, the better.

If there are any questions or concerns, post them here and I will answer what I can
Old 04-04-2010, 02:15 AM
Burningsoul
Discordant

I'm sure you get this a lot, but THANK YOU for the immense effort into getting this whipped into shape! I remember back to 2003/4 and patching by the update, this is incredible to anyone that's been following for this long. Keep up the GREAT work!!!
Old 04-04-2010, 03:40 AM
trevius
Developer

Well, just for the record, it isn't just me working on SoD. Derision has done a huge portion of the work and done some of the more complicated things that would have taken me considerably longer to work out. KLS has also helped and was the one that got the Open Source LS working for it so we could even start to work on it at all. A few others have pitched in as well. I want to thank the others that have helped as well. This definitely wouldn't be moving along nearly as quick as it is without the help of the other devs here
Old 04-04-2010, 04:52 AM
Burningsoul
Discordant

Too late for an edit, but that was directed at everyone - I'm astonished at the manpower poured into this over a relatively small amount of time - thank you everyone!
Old 04-04-2010, 07:02 AM
wtbmacestun
Fire Beetle

I want to say thank you to every one of the devs working on this right now. I grabbed the download from steam and am very thankful that you guys are working so hard on this. Keep up the good work you guys!
Old 04-04-2010, 04:30 PM
cmdrwayne
Fire Beetle

Where does Steam save Seeds of Destruction so I can do backup, or do I just use the steam backup wizard ?

I found it here: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\everquest
Old 04-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Zandig
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrwayne View Post
Where does Steam save Seeds of Destruction so I can do backup, or do I just use the steam backup wizard ?

I found it here: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\everquest
Yes that is the location. You can move the directory to where you want it or back it up however you want to. I backed mine up to a couple of DVDs to make it easy to install again if I ever need to.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:03 PM
nano
Fire Beetle

Bought SoD off Steam for $2.50 last night and finished download this morning.

I downloaded the server code from SVN and compiled the server and EQEmuLoginServer. My existing PEQ database was still the same revision so I left my SQL alone.

Booted up the server and EQEmuLoginServer, booted up the SoD client and connected to localhost on port 5999. Everything went smooth. The SoD client saw my server and I was able to make a new character and load into the tutorial zone, no crashes or disconnects.

World.exe did spit out a bunch of [Debug] [WORLD__CLIENT_ERR] messages, but nothing that caused a crash or disconnect.

I haven't ran the server for very long but so far it is looking absolutely superb!

This might not help much, I am still fairly fresh behind the ears when it comes to compiling and running an EQ server, so I have to say if *I* was able to get it up and running without any trouble that must mean something!
Old 04-05-2010, 03:25 PM
djeryv
Hill Giant

Quote:
Since it is a digital download, that means you will be able to get it instantly instead of having to wait for it to come in the mail. I highly recommend making a copy of the install folder somewhere on your harddrive (or burn it to a DVD) so you will have a backup in case you mess the client up or need to install it fresh again at some point.
I downloaded it off steam and backed up the install dir to a DVD...now how do I get this game on another PC with these 2 DVDs I made? I don't want to hook up to STEAM to play this.

- Djeryv
Old 04-05-2010, 04:19 PM
trevius
Developer

All you need to do is copy the install folder to your other PC where ever you want it and then create the shortcut to eqgame.exe like normal. Everquest doesn't require anything special like registry entries or anything like some applications need, it just needs to have the install folder there and you can start it up right away. It is very easy to move the install around because of this
Old 04-05-2010, 04:22 PM
gaeorn
Developer

SoD is no longer on sale. The price is listed as $19.99 on Steam now.