Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:36 AM
Irreverent
The Solo Server

Default Using lua?

Its been awhile since I've done an update, noticed on my quest update a ton of quests going from perl to lua.

I tried to search the forums for a guide of if/what we need to do.

Do I need to download anything new? Do I need to change anything?

I did notice a new checkbox in CMAKE for perl and lua...I checked both? Seemed to compile fine. But, do I need an API to download or something? I noticed somewhere there said something of 5.1 vs. 5.2. If so, do we need Rel 1, Rel 2? Does it matter?

Didn't see anything in the news either.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Robregen
Developer

yes you can checked both Lua and Perl. for lua to work. just need to put lua51.dll into your server folder. and lua_modules folder that comes with the quest svn. just put that in the server as well as that acts like a plugin for lua. more information about this here:

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37008
Old 08-17-2013, 06:27 PM
wolfwalkereci
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irreverent View Post
Its been awhile since I've done an update, noticed on my quest update a ton of quests going from perl to lua.

I tried to search the forums for a guide of if/what we need to do.

Do I need to download anything new? Do I need to change anything?

I did notice a new checkbox in CMAKE for perl and lua...I checked both? Seemed to compile fine. But, do I need an API to download or something? I noticed somewhere there said something of 5.1 vs. 5.2. If so, do we need Rel 1, Rel 2? Does it matter?

Didn't see anything in the news either.
Also if you want to keep the perl quests you can svn checkout to r1220 which I believe was the last revision before they started changing quests over to lua. Assuming you use or need the quests in question as .pl and not .lua

Old 08-18-2013, 07:56 AM
Irreverent
The Solo Server

I downloaded the dll...which folder does it need to be put in?

The download came 3 main things:
1) lua5.1.dll
2) lua5.1.lib
3) /include folder

I looked at the wiki and the link...neither really tell about how to do setup for the non-lua people.

Thanks
Old 08-18-2013, 10:27 AM
sorvani
Dragon

For Windows, everything you need is in the dependencies folder. The shortcut URL is http://eqemu.github.io/
edit: after downloading the dependencies, extract them to the dependencies folder created in the location your checked out the source repo.

I do not build linux servers so no idea there.

update the git repo
Delete your CMAKE cache.
Rebuild CMAKE with Lua and Perl
Build your solution and copy executables like normal.
the default quest folder is renamed global
you need to move the lua_modules folder to the root of the directory just like the plugins folder
copy the lua51.dll from the dependencies folder to your root server folder.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:34 AM
sorvani
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irreverent View Post
Also you are free to keep using the Perl quest system. the two are not mutually exclusive.

I rewrote PoTime because it desperately needed it. I chose to use Lua because I wanted to learn it as well as help ensure it works right.
Robregen did the Qeynos area stuff for the same reason.

Like any other new feature it had issues and KLS was awesome in working them out with us.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:38 PM
wolfwalkereci
Discordant

I'm just sad that you guys removed the perl quests from the svn.
Why not just leave them since the system defaults to lua if you compile with it and falls back to perl if not.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:56 PM
demonstar55
Demi-God

You can still pull them from the repo, not like they're gone.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:29 AM
wolfwalkereci
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonstar55 View Post
You can still pull them from the repo, not like they're gone.
Yeah if you pull to a previous revision as in the current revision they are deleted.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:20 PM
fwaits
Fire Beetle

With the help of this and another thread, I recently updated my build to use both LUA and PERL successfully. Using the guide from here as a baseline:

http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka...rverSetupGuide

Differences/additions:

1. Download and extract the dependencies from here rather than the one in the guide to get the boost and lua files.

2. When running CMake, check the EQEMU_BUILD_LUA option in addition to the already checked EQEMU_BUILD_PERL option.

3. Copy the lua_modules folder in C:\EQ\EQEmuServer\quests to the root C:\EQ\EQEmuServer folder.

4. Copy the lua51.dll file from C:\EQ\Source\dependencies\luaj_x86\bin folder to the root C:\EQ\EQEmuServer folder.

5. Launch and enjoy.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:53 PM
fwaits
Fire Beetle

Ok it seems my LUA stuff is still not working after all. No dialog works and hand-ins for NPCs get eaten. I built the server fine with LUA and PERL options, no errors. I added the lua51.dll to the root EQEmuServer folder. I also copied the lua_modules folder to the EQEmuServer folder so there is a C:\EQ\EQEmuServer\lua_modules folder with 5 files in it. Is this correct? Any thoughts or help on fixing it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-01-2013, 02:23 PM
fwaits
Fire Beetle

Aaaaand I figured out the problem, which was totally unrelated to the setup of LUA. The process I posted a couple of posts up still stands and works.