Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Linux Servers

Support::Linux Servers Support forum for Linux EQEMu users.

Old 01-27-2022, 07:07 PM
Freejack
Sarnak

Default Akk-stack docker container

Started to play around with this and realized something. Why is 3306 exposed outside the container if there is no connections from the outside to the database?

It just hit me because I use docker and containers and this is the first that has the db exposed to the outside when all that needs access is inside the container.

Wouldn't best security practice be even in a dev environment to not expose the port outside the container?

If anyone knows why, I was just thinking and wondering.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:18 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freejack View Post
Started to play around with this and realized something. Why is 3306 exposed outside the container if there is no connections from the outside to the database?

It just hit me because I use docker and containers and this is the first that has the db exposed to the outside when all that needs access is inside the container.

Wouldn't best security practice be even in a dev environment to not expose the port outside the container?

If anyone knows why, I was just thinking and wondering.
Whether you choose to expose the port or not is up to your discretion and choosing as is any other installation.

Lots of folks like to connect to their MySQL instance via browser remotely or connect to web tooling without a ton of fuss.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:24 PM
Freejack
Sarnak

I was not thinking in that aspect. I am always in the security side of things. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:54 PM
Freejack
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkadius View Post
Whether you choose to expose the port or not is up to your discretion and choosing as is any other installation.

Lots of folks like to connect to their MySQL instance via browser remotely or connect to web tooling without a ton of fuss.
Since I am not as familiar as I would like to be with docker where can i go to change that outside exposed port to something else before it composes it?
Old 01-27-2022, 08:22 PM
Freejack
Sarnak

Having an issue with make install after setting environment and network.

Use 'docker scan' to run Snyk tests against images to find vulnerabilities and learn how to fix them
make up detached
COMPOSE_HTTP_TIMEOUT=1000 docker-compose up -d eqemu-server mariadb
[+] Running 0/2
⠿ Container peq-test-server-eqemu-server-1 Starting 0.4s
⠿ Container peq-test-server-mariadb-1 Starting 0.4s
Error response from daemon: driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint peq-test-server-mariadb-1 (69754616aebae5a2ca2dd5da5ef0af4b6e49575d9f2ef3324 2a833d0d20e4fd1): Error starting userland proxy: listen tcp4 10.12.16.8:3307: bind: cannot assign requested address
make[1]: *** [Makefile:191: up] Error 1
make: *** [Makefile:96: install] Error 2

I changed the port so I can run this as a test. No matter what I set the ip at it tells me it can not assign it.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:30 PM
Freejack
Sarnak

Got it all figured out had a port stuck that was not even in use. Killed the pid and off and running.

PEQ Database is taking forever to download though.
Old 01-29-2022, 12:23 AM
Freejack
Sarnak

Ok got it up and running and can access everything except the peq editor webpage. I have re installed it 3 times and everytime I can not access the peq editor page.

Anyone else had this issue?
Old 01-29-2022, 01:08 AM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freejack View Post
Ok got it up and running and can access everything except the peq editor webpage. I have re installed it 3 times and everytime I can not access the peq editor page.

Anyone else had this issue?
Need to do a little bit more to initialize the PEQ editor

In the workspace container run `make init-peq-editor`

Afterwards on the host run `docker-compose up -d peq-editor`
Old 01-29-2022, 03:26 AM
Freejack
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkadius View Post
Need to do a little bit more to initialize the PEQ editor

In the workspace container run `make init-peq-editor`

Afterwards on the host run `docker-compose up -d peq-editor`
Thank you and hopefully I have a roadmap to pull the existing data from my Linux install into the container install.
Old 01-30-2022, 07:00 AM
Freejack
Sarnak

OK got it all installed and now there is a real odd issue, this machine has also got installed the akk linux installed version of the server. It runs great, now for the oddity. start up the container version it all comes up and nicely accessible.

Same ports which are already forwarded, same config parameters other than those required for container setup and operation. So when you try to connect to the server to play it goes black and then gives the patch error for the client. Looking at logs the client says it connected. on the server side in the logs no such connection.

Ensured everything was shutdown from the other server to ensure there was not 2 running just the container. Tried even a localhost login and same thing.

So looking for ideas for the possibility of this happening.

P.S. Also have caught ucs running in the background after shutting the server down and have to manually kill it.
Old 01-30-2022, 07:16 AM
Freejack
Sarnak

SOLVED and running.................... anyone have any good ways to transfer characters out of one db in to another?

AKK I will help anyone who does the container setup. I am now well versed in it's things of mystery. LOL
Old 04-23-2023, 05:34 PM
shaggybritches
Fire Beetle

Freejack,

What was the solution you came up with? The docker containers appear to be working fine but aren't showing the connection from the client; the client give Error 1017, which sounds like it means that it's not connecting correctly.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. Thanks!
Old 04-29-2023, 09:49 PM
shaggybritches
Fire Beetle

Found the issue, it's with how my system is set up.

I'm running the ark-stack docker container, but I'm also running EQ in a VM. That means in my eqemu_config.json, I needed to make these two equal:

"localaddress": "192.168.x.y",
"address": "192.168.x.y",

Normally localaddress 127.0.0.1 since you'll play on the same machine you host on, but by using a VM to play I'm effectively running the eqemu server on a separate machine.

I hate to say how many hours I spent working this out. Thanks to this thread for pointing me in the right direction. http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43408

Tags
akk-stack, docker, mysql