Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:43 PM
Durinor
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
Are you on a private LAN using an internal IP Address? From what I see in your post you are using an internal IP address, use the internal IP address of the server computer where it says host IP then in your router you need to forward the ports to that server IP.
Step 7: Editing your server configuration and launching your server
§a) (OPTIONAL) Port forwarding on your router (if you're using one)

Port forwarding is required if you want to allow other people out on the Internet to play on your server. If you are only intending for yourself or other people on your local LAN to connect, then this step is not necessary.
Log in to your router and you need to forward the following ports to the internal ip of your server computer.
UDP 7000 to 7100 (Port Range Forwarding is essential for this)
UDP 9000
NOTE: Windows also has a Firewall that will block these ports #'s into your computer if you are using Windows. You will need to create Windows Firewall exemptions, or allow world.exe/zone.exe/ucs.exe as a list of approved programs
To find out the internal ip of your computer, at a command prompt type ipconfig. The 192.168.1.xxx number that is listed is the forwarding IP you need.
Every router is different, so if you don't know how to log in to it, then you will have some searching to do without the manual.
Most commonly, a web browser is used, typing in an address like 192.168.1.1

Section of the guide that might help you out. http://wiki.eqemulator.org/p?Complet...er_Setup_Guide
Thank you for the response. There is no port forwarding necessary. Yes, they are on different subnets, but they are not separated by a firewall, only a router. A router that is not also a firewall by default like home consumer products. All the Cisco router does in my topology is route the traffic. No rules are applied, no ports need be forwarded. I can, for example, rdp, etc the server on 172.16.210.0/24 from my PC on 192.168.0.0/24 Eventually, yes the 172.16.210.0/24 network will be behind a firewall and facing the Internet and I will need to do port forwarding. But not yet. There is no reason why simply routing traffic should break this. It does not break rdp or any other protocols/sessions. But for some reason, the server only works when the PC and the server are both on 192.168.0.0/24
Old 01-23-2017, 11:24 PM
Durinor
Sarnak

Here is a wireshark conversation from the server while trying to connect. Everything is going fine and then you start to see port unreachable on 9000 for some reason:

Old 01-24-2017, 12:17 AM
Uleat
Developer

Code:
<loginserver1>
	<host>172.16.210.11</host>
	<port>5999</port>
	<account></account>
	<password></password>
</loginserver1>
<loginserver2>
	<host>172.16.210.11</host>
	<port>5999</port>
	<account></account>
	<password></password>
</loginserver2>
If you're not using 2 distinct login servers, I would delete the <loginserver2> tag and remove the enumerator from <loginserver1>.

Two streams to the same login server is probably not a good thing...

Code:
listen_port = 5998
Still doesn't match what you're telling the world server to use above.

If there's an issue using the same port, I would try to figure out what is causing the problem.

Compilin' Dirty

Last edited by Uleat; 01-24-2017 at 12:28 AM..
Old 01-24-2017, 12:46 AM
cannon
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durinor View Post
But for some reason, the server only works when the PC and the server are both on 192.168.0.0/24
Are you trying to set up a LAN server or a public server?
Old 01-24-2017, 10:08 AM
Durinor
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
Are you trying to set up a LAN server or a public server?
Right now it is a LAN server, that just happens to be on a different subnet connected by a router, not a firewall.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:37 AM
Durinor
Sarnak

Sorry, what is enumerator?
Old 01-24-2017, 10:56 AM
Durinor
Sarnak

I changed the listen port to 5999, but it still won't enter world unless both the pc and the server are on the same subnet.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:41 AM
jpyou127
Discordant

You have a routing/local firewall issue sounds like. You may have to set persistent routes on your emulator server if the router you are using does not have that ability. Also if this is a windows box the emulator is on, check your firewall settings on that machine. It maybe blocking the zone it considers the subnet "in" which would also probably require opening ports for that zone. If its a windows box, just create 1 inbound and 1 outbound rule that allows all ports/services in/out on all zones (public/work/home). Its an easy check.

Another easy check is just to telnet to that port (5999?) from one machine on the subnet to the emulator. If it doesn't connect is a firewall or something is port blocking.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:47 AM
Durinor
Sarnak

I don't have a routing issue. The router has an interface in 172.16.210.0.24 and an interface in 192.168.0.0.24 The PC has a static route to 172.16.210.0 using the 192.168.0.0 interface of the router. I know how to route, it's what I do for a living. Other apps and protocols route fine to the server. I would never need a static route on the router to route between two directly connected networks.

I agree, there is something at layer 3 that is messing this up, but it's not a lack of a clear route. There are no firewalls involved either on the network or locally on the server or the PC, either. I can login fine to the login server, but I just can't enter the world with a character.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:51 AM
jpyou127
Discordant

I modified my answer after I went back and read your previous entries. I can tell you know how to setup a routing protocol (I also do that for a living). Read my edits above.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:52 AM
jpyou127
Discordant

This is more than likely the windows built in firewall. Dont turn it off, just make those 2 entries above then telnet from the subnet back to the emulator's subnet and see if the port is open.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:54 AM
jpyou127
Discordant

If that fixes it, just open ports on all "zones" in the windows firewall that you need.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:01 PM
Durinor
Sarnak

The port is open. I can telnet on 5999 with no problem from the pc across the router.

Why would I need a routing protocol for this? That is the last thing I want. I don't want that router advertising to my ospf it's route to 172.16.210.0/24, since right now I only want my pc and the emu server using this router.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:11 PM
Durinor
Sarnak

The eventual goal is to have the emu server in a dmz (hosted in my home, rather than a remote datacenter), and then access the emu server via my inside network. This works fine right now for rdp and other protocols, but not for the world server. As I said, I can login and create characters, I just can't enter the world. Right now, I'm not even using a firewall between the dmz and the inside, simply a router. No NAT, no firewall, just simple routing. I can't imagine why that would prevent the emu from working. Once, I get it working in this configuration, I can worry about port forwarding from the web.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:50 PM
Durinor
Sarnak

I created rules on both the server and the pc to allow all tcp and udp in both directions. No difference.