Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 06-15-2019, 05:18 AM
Stubbay
Sarnak

Angry Noob server admin

So, I've successfully gotten a server to run, and made a character. I've now, also managed to log into the EOC. There's a problem, though...

I can't seem to find any noob guide on how to modify the server. I've seen plenty of threads about specifics, but I'm at a complete loss as to where to begin. I've never done anything like this before. I've learned the basics of HTML, CSS, and some Python and C#, in the past, but beyond being able to.. kind of... read some of the code, I'm lost.

Am I just not seeing the thread? Am I missing something on the wiki? I've read through a lot of pages, and maybe I'm just frustrated with the numerous problems I've had along the way, but I can't seem to find any entry level explanation for what to do, how to, or where to begin.

Any help, links, etc., would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:53 PM
phantomghost
Hill Giant

Very basic of updating will be getting to the database. I use Heidisql myself to modify certain tables. Login with your user/password.

Very easy thing would be updating spells, items, creating new items, changing rules, setting xp rates, etc.

Certain updates would require you to retrieve your own binaries.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:36 PM
phantomghost
Hill Giant

Here is a how to compile your own binaries, but in all honesty, I only know enough to get mine to work after referencing several posts... I actually spent hours getting errors because of PERL until I realized I just needed to re-install PERL (if you have a working server and you install a different version of PERL, your server will not work, until you re-compile your binaries successfull--- just be warned).

Here is how I got my Binaries, maybe someone who has more knowledge can explain further or fix any innaccurate statements I make... I just kept trying until I got it to work for me, so there may be something that can be done easier.

In order to compile your own binaries you need to install visual studios. https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/

Make a folder. I call mine Source#. # for me identifies which database I am building the binaries for. (I name my database PEQ1, PEQ2, etc.)

Now you will need GIT.
https://git-scm.com/downloads

Open the following website:
https://github.com/EQEmu/Server

You will need to copy the link (in a green box it says "Clone or Download"--- Copy this link.

Once installed, right click on your Source Folder and choose "git Bash here"
This will open up another window, type:

git clone https://github.com/EQEmu/Server.git
  • Notice the link after git clone is the link I copied from the github website.

Once this is complete, open the folder and you should see Source>Server >Dependencies

Open Dependencies folder and add them to this folder:
https://eqemu.github.io/
  • Download the 86 or 64 based on what your install was.
  • I had issues with PERL myself. I installed x64 PERL and everything else was x86 so it would always fail on the BUILD for Zone. I ended up re-installing PERL using 5.12.3 x86

In the Server Folder, I then create another folder named "Build" (you can use CMake to make this folder for you...)

Now download Cmake:
https://cmake.org/

Once installed, run CMake. In
"Where is the source code", navigate to your Server Folder... for example
C:\PEQ\Source\Server

"Where to build the binaries", Do the exact same thing but add /Build
C:/PEQ/Source/Server/Build

Now at the bottom left, Press Configure. Assuming no issues it should show all of the options to Generate.

Pretty much everything by default is checked, you will likely want to Check EQEMU_BUILD_LOGIN and if you want bots EQEMU_ENABLE_BOTS

Press Generate. This should

Now the portion you will need visual studios (fairly long download/install so you may want to start this first) I use visual studio 2017 (free community version) but currently the download is 2019 (I assume 2019 works--- but honestly not sure).
https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/

Once downloaded you may want to reference this post on here:
http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35722

In your Source>Server>Build folder there will be a file : EQEmu.sln

Open this file and it will open Visual studios.

Typically, if no issues (this is where I originally had issues, I changed my Zone to use x64 instead of Win32, but I kept getting compile errors--- which is why I switched to perl5.12.3 x86) you should be able to just Build the binaries here:
Build Tab>Build Solution

After a few minutes, if all went well, you should see XX Successful, and hopefully 0 Unsuccessful. (You may see one skipped, under Build>Configuration Manager, Install was not checked by default).
  • If you have any Unsuccesful you will need to read the errors and attempt to correct them.

I used Debug and Win32 for my build. (You will need to match whatever you are compiling for x86 or x64. (Reference the post above).

About a week after my original compile, I had an error Debug Assertion error, I found a few posts regarding this error, but no solution. I fixed mine by Building the Solution in Release and then replacing just these files into my server. (I also had to debug my clients).

If you have to attempt the Build again, I would use Clean Solution first... or use Rebuild solution.

Assuming all is successful, under Source>Server>Build>Bin>Debug will be all of the files you need to copy/paste into your EqEmuServer folder (or whatever your actual server folder name is--- the one with t_start.bat etc.)

I'd suggest making a copy of all the original file, before replacing--- in the event something went wrong... but that is purely up to you.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:41 PM
Stubbay
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomghost View Post
Here is a how to compile your own binaries, but in all honesty, I only know enough to get mine to work after referencing several posts... I actually spent hours getting errors because of PERL until I realized I just needed to re-install PERL
This is actually similar to why I was so frustrated up to the point of creating a thread; spent two days trying to simply get the server up, only to realize I needed to reinstall MariaDB. Then, about 3 hours more, attempting to log into EOC, because the guide (both wiki and forum), had me using a value I shouldn't have, and found the solution to, by accident. So, forgive my first post if it came off as whiny lol.

Thank you for the in-depth reply. This sounds a lot like something i was attempting to follow on the wiki, but with no luck. I'm either using my Command Prompt improperly, or something about it has been changed since the time the wiki page was created... or possibly they're not as familiar with Windows; I did see a reply where one dev said he primarily uses Linux, and wasn't sure about the specifics in Windows.

I'll be attempting this later today, and likely committing it to it's own txt doc, for future reference.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:21 AM
Stubbay
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomghost View Post

Now download Cmake:
https://cmake.org/

Once installed, run CMake. In
"Where is the source code", navigate to your Server Folder... for example
C:\PEQ\Source\Server

"Where to build the binaries", Do the exact same thing but add /Build
C:/PEQ/Source/Server/Build

Now at the bottom left, Press Configure. Assuming no issues it should show all of the options to Generate.

Pretty much everything by default is checked, you will likely want to Check EQEMU_BUILD_LOGIN and if you want bots EQEMU_ENABLE_BOTS

Press Generate. This should
I am continually getting this error:

HTML Code:
CMake Error at C:/Program Files/CMake/share/cmake-3.15/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:137 (message):
  Could NOT find ZLIB (missing: ZLIB_LIBRARY ZLIB_INCLUDE_DIR)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  C:/Program Files/CMake/share/cmake-3.15/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:378 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  C:/Program Files/CMake/share/cmake-3.15/Modules/FindZLIB.cmake:115 (FIND_PACKAGE_HANDLE_STANDARD_ARGS)
  CMakeLists.txt:293 (FIND_PACKAGE)
I'm gonna see if I can find a solution, or those files, it says it is missing, but i thought I should report this, to see if you recognized it.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:24 AM
Uleat
Developer

Zlib linkable files should be in your 'dependencies' folder.

I'm using cmake 3.11.2 and it can find them.

If you don't have one, you'll need to verify that you grabbed the correct version for the type of build you're after (x86 or x64.)

I know the x86 works..haven't tried the x64 build myself.

In phantomghost's example..you will need to unpack them here:
Code:
C:\PEQ\Source\Server\dependencies

Compilin' Dirty
Old 06-16-2019, 01:48 AM
Stubbay
Sarnak

i'm fairly certain I unpacked the dependencies correctly. I've done it about 3x, just to be sure.

An answer I found online, lead me to simply downloading a Zlib, and now I *seem* to be passed that problem.

My new one, is as follow:

HTML Code:
Build type: RelWithDebInfo
CMake Error at C:/Program Files/CMake/share/cmake-3.15/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:137 (message):
  Could NOT find OpenSSL, try to set the path to OpenSSL root folder in the
  system variable OPENSSL_ROOT_DIR (missing: OPENSSL_CRYPTO_LIBRARY
  OPENSSL_INCLUDE_DIR)
  C:/Program Files/CMake/share/cmake-3.15/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:378 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  C:/Program Files/CMake/share/cmake-3.15/Modules/FindOpenSSL.cmake:413 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
  loginserver/CMakeLists.txt:30 (FIND_PACKAGE)

CMake Error: The following variables are used in this project, but they are set to NOTFOUND.
Please set them or make sure they are set and tested correctly in the CMake files:
LUA_INCLUDE_DIR (ADVANCED)
   used as include directory in directory D:/EqDevServer1/server
   used as include directory in directory D:/EqDevServer1/server/common
   used as include directory in directory D:/EqDevServer1/server/common
   used as include directory in directory D:/EqDevServer1/server/libs
   used as include directory in directory D:/EqDevServer1/server/libs/luabind
   used as include directory in directory D:/EqDevServer1/server/libs/luabind
   used as include directory in directory D:/EqDevServer1/server/libs/libuv
   used as include directory in directory D:/EqDevServer1/server/libs/libuv
   used as include directory in directory D:/EqDevServer1/server/libs/format
   used as include directory in directory D:/EqDevServer1/server/libs/format/fmt
   used as include directory in directory D:/EqDevServer1/server/libs/format/fmt
   used as include directory in directory D:/EqDevServer1/server/libs/recast
   used as include directory in directory D:/EqDevServer1/server/libs/recast
   used as include directory in directory D:/EqDevServer1/server/shared_memory
   used as include directory in directory D:/EqDevServer1/server/shared_memory
   used as include directory in directory D:/EqDevServer1/server/world
   used as include directory in directory D:/EqDevServer1/server/world
   used as include directory in directory D:/EqDevServer1/server/zone
   used as include directory in directory D:/EqDevServer1/server/zone
   used as include directory in directory D:/EqDevServer1/server/ucs
   used as include directory in directory D:/EqDevServer1/server/ucs
   used as include directory in directory D:/EqDevServer1/server/queryserv
   used as include directory in directory D:/EqDevServer1/server/queryserv
   used as include directory in directory D:/EqDevServer1/server/eqlaunch
   used as include directory in directory D:/EqDevServer1/server/eqlaunch
   used as include directory in directory D:/EqDevServer1/server/loginserver
LUA_LIBRARY (ADVANCED)
    linked by target "zone" in directory D:/EqDevServer1/server/zone
And that's after fixing an error where cmake couldn't find the boost files lol.

Should I just redirect these to look in my private server's files? I can't tell if I've done something wrong, or I'm simply missing... something(s) o.O
Old 06-16-2019, 07:25 AM
phantomghost
Hill Giant

It looks like you are trying to run Cmake in the wrong folder.

You need to set the Where is the source code to the folder you created initially.

For me I named mine Source#. This is where you did the git bash on the folder.

Then Where to build the binaries is essentially the same thing with /build at the end.

All of the files you listed are in the actual EqEmuServer folder that has all of the binaries installed with the initial server.

At this point, there is nothing to do with your EqEmuServer folder at all, you could have made the Source folder on your desktop if you wanted.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:55 PM
Stubbay
Sarnak

Yeah, I'm completely confused. I remade the entire folder. I'm positive I'm using the correct folders; I checked this by even trying to use my Private Servers folder, as the source, in case I misunderstood. Found an issue that had caused some problems, which I fixed, but otherwise, I'm lost. Still getting these errors.

HTML Code:
Selecting Windows SDK version 10.0.16299.0 to target Windows 10.0.17134.
Could NOT find Lua51 (missing: LUA_LIBRARIES LUA_INCLUDE_DIR) 
CMake version: 3.15.0-rc1
Version: 4.0.0
Build type: RelWithDebInfo
  Could NOT find OpenSSL, try to set the path to OpenSSL root folder in the
  system variable OPENSSL_ROOT_DIR (missing: OPENSSL_CRYPTO_LIBRARY
  OPENSSL_INCLUDE_DIR)
  C:/Program Files/CMake/share/cmake-3.15/Modules/FindOpenSSL.cmake:413 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
  loginserver/CMakeLists.txt:30 (FIND_PACKAGE)

CMake Error: The following variables are used in this project, but they are set to NOTFOUND.
Please set them or make sure they are set and tested correctly in the CMake files:
LUA_INCLUDE_DIR (ADVANCED)
   used as include directory in directory D:/EQDevServer/server
   used as include directory in directory D:/EQDevServer/server/common
   used as include directory in directory D:/EQDevServer/server/common
   used as include directory in directory D:/EQDevServer/server/libs
   used as include directory in directory D:/EQDevServer/server/libs/luabind
   used as include directory in directory D:/EQDevServer/server/libs/luabind
   used as include directory in directory D:/EQDevServer/server/libs/libuv
   used as include directory in directory D:/EQDevServer/server/libs/libuv
   used as include directory in directory D:/EQDevServer/server/libs/format
   used as include directory in directory D:/EQDevServer/server/libs/format/fmt
   used as include directory in directory D:/EQDevServer/server/libs/format/fmt
   used as include directory in directory D:/EQDevServer/server/libs/recast
   used as include directory in directory D:/EQDevServer/server/libs/recast
   used as include directory in directory D:/EQDevServer/server/shared_memory
   used as include directory in directory D:/EQDevServer/server/shared_memory
   used as include directory in directory D:/EQDevServer/server/world
   used as include directory in directory D:/EQDevServer/server/world
   used as include directory in directory D:/EQDevServer/server/zone
   used as include directory in directory D:/EQDevServer/server/zone
   used as include directory in directory D:/EQDevServer/server/ucs
   used as include directory in directory D:/EQDevServer/server/ucs
   used as include directory in directory D:/EQDevServer/server/queryserv
   used as include directory in directory D:/EQDevServer/server/queryserv
   used as include directory in directory D:/EQDevServer/server/eqlaunch
   used as include directory in directory D:/EQDevServer/server/eqlaunch
   used as include directory in directory D:/EQDevServer/server/loginserver
LUA_LIBRARY (ADVANCED)
    linked by target "zone" in directory D:/EQDevServer/server/zone

Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "D:/EQDevServer/server/Build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "D:/EQDevServer/server/Build/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".
I've been looking through the associated folders, to try and find files and folders, myself... Yet, the ones it wants, I can't seem to find most of.

When I manually tried to direct to associated folders, I got even more errors. Either because it couldn't find them (the files it wanted), or didn't seem to like that some of them were the same.

I'm doing my best to remind myself, this is new to me and a learning process and I'm likely to make mistakes... lmao
Old 06-16-2019, 10:12 PM
Uleat
Developer

Those cmake log files may contain info on the problem.

Have you tried doing this on 'c' drive instead of 'd' drive?

Compilin' Dirty
Old 06-16-2019, 10:15 PM
Stubbay
Sarnak

Thought adding these may be worth doing:

Old 06-16-2019, 10:16 PM
Stubbay
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uleat View Post
Those cmake log files may contain info on the problem.

Have you tried doing this on 'c' drive instead of 'd' drive?

No, I haven't. I wasn't sure it'd make a difference. My D drive is my SSD. Does it have the potential to screw things up?
Old 06-16-2019, 10:43 PM
Uleat
Developer

I don't see a lot of concrete info of this particular scenario..

..but, I have seen some reports of linkage info being lost under certain conditions - nothing yet on cmake's website.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 06-16-2019, 11:40 PM
Stubbay
Sarnak

I went ahead and copied the folder over to my C Drive. Cleared the cache, and tried, again. Came up with the same issue.

Is it possible the files it's after, are simply missing from the github? Should I try to see if I can use a different version of CMake?
Old 06-17-2019, 12:23 AM
Uleat
Developer

Pretty sure that my local repo has straight copies of the dependencies from the github site.

You could try using an older version of cmake to see if that helps (3.11.2 is what I use.)

Can you post the output of those two log files? It may help.

Compilin' Dirty