Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:14 AM
Esildor
Hill Giant

Default Create/Edit Spells?

Want to preface this by saying I'm not exactly sure where I should post this, so, I went with the general section. If this is wrong I will gladly repost elsewhere or if a mod is willing to donate their precious time moving it <3

I just put together my first server about a week ago now, and so far have been able to find great posts around this forum and elsewhere answering almost every question I've had up to this point. Between the posts and some trial and error I have been able to tackle most figuring outs so far.

This brings me to spells. So far, I've had no luck figuring this out.

To make a new spell, do you actually create a new spell or is the easiest way to pick an obsolete spell and make a new spell out of that ID?

With this, I've been using the SpellEditor from GeorgeS Tools and have tried the Null Spell Editor to no avail. With the SpellEditor I'm looking at the Spells_US.txt(?) file that came with and playing around with that. With the Null spell editor I'm trying loading in that same text file and changing things then telling it to apply the changes to my database, but with no luck.

I'm hoping someone is able to simply and clearly explain to me HOW I would go about making a spell; and even further, how to supply a custom spell file for those wanting to try my server?

Or, if someone knows of a detailed guide that already exists and could point me towards that I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2014, 09:23 AM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

Try the Daily Dump. It has a spell editor, item editor, NPC editor, factions, etc. You just have to set it up for localhost, which you could Google how to do, if necessary.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:41 AM
Township EQ
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmannen View Post
Want to preface this by saying I'm not exactly sure where I should post this, so, I went with the general section. If this is wrong I will gladly repost elsewhere or if a mod is willing to donate their precious time moving it <3

I just put together my first server about a week ago now, and so far have been able to find great posts around this forum and elsewhere answering almost every question I've had up to this point. Between the posts and some trial and error I have been able to tackle most figuring outs so far.

This brings me to spells. So far, I've had no luck figuring this out.

To make a new spell, do you actually create a new spell or is the easiest way to pick an obsolete spell and make a new spell out of that ID?

With this, I've been using the SpellEditor from GeorgeS Tools and have tried the Null Spell Editor to no avail. With the SpellEditor I'm looking at the Spells_US.txt(?) file that came with and playing around with that. With the Null spell editor I'm trying loading in that same text file and changing things then telling it to apply the changes to my database, but with no luck.

I'm hoping someone is able to simply and clearly explain to me HOW I would go about making a spell; and even further, how to supply a custom spell file for those wanting to try my server?

Or, if someone knows of a detailed guide that already exists and could point me towards that I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Hey bud.

Have you heard of EoC? It's pretty much an all-in-one tool.

It has a GREAT NPC editor (with mass zone editing capability) as well as a very concise and easy to use item editor. If you hit "PEQ Editor" upon logging in there's a spell editor in there as well as all of PEQ's tools. It may take a bit getting used to but there's no downloading or anything and it's run by one of the EQEmu administrators. The only thing you have to do is forward port 3306.

There's a whole forum dedicated to information and links on it here: http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=679

Good luck man.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:03 AM
Esildor
Hill Giant

Hola.

So, I'm playing with EoC's online database tools now. In the PEQ Editor, using the "Edit Spells" I changed SpellID 5094(Test AC, I believe).

I changed 5094 to be a port to my starting area, and, it does in fact port to my starting area but when I cast the spell using #castspell 5094 it says:

"A faintly glowing shield protects you." This leads me to believe it's still drawing the old text for the test AC spell.

In addition, when I right click my charm that I put the port spell on it says:

"You begin casting test ac.item Cast Time (5000) (test ac)"

Is this because where I'm loading EQ from doesn't have an updated spell file?

Furthermore, on the PEQ Editor there is an option "Generate spells_us.txt"

If I use that command will it generate a spell file for my specific spell database?

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2014, 05:14 AM
Township EQ
Hill Giant

Quote:
Hola.

So, I'm playing with EoC's online database tools now. In the PEQ Editor, using the "Edit Spells" I changed SpellID 5094(Test AC, I believe).

I changed 5094 to be a port to my starting area, and, it does in fact port to my starting area but when I cast the spell using #castspell 5094 it says:

"A faintly glowing shield protects you." This leads me to believe it's still drawing the old text for the test AC spell.

In addition, when I right click my charm that I put the port spell on it says:

"You begin casting test ac.item Cast Time (5000) (test ac)"

Is this because where I'm loading EQ from doesn't have an updated spell file?

Furthermore, on the PEQ Editor there is an option "Generate spells_us.txt"

If I use that command will it generate a spell file for my specific spell database?

Thanks!
Yup.. you're gonna have to use the generate feature.. it pulls the spells from your specific database table.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:33 AM
Esildor
Hill Giant

Would you be able to explain a bit more in detail what happens once I use the feature?

Does it replace the Spells_us.txt folder already in my database, and, if so, where is that within the folders?

Do I just copy that same file into a folder on my client for logging into the server?
Old 03-12-2014, 01:08 PM
Township EQ
Hill Giant

Quote:
Would you be able to explain a bit more in detail what happens once I use the feature?

Does it replace the Spells_us.txt folder already in my database, and, if so, where is that within the folders?

Do I just copy that same file into a folder on my client for logging into the server?
Sure..

When you're editing a spell and you press the save button.. that's sending a query to your spells table in the database. As soon as you pressed save your spell was added to your server. The reason you're getting that spell issue is because your client still thinks it was the original spell (or if you completely created a new one it would come up as unknown spell). When you use that generate function it will pull all the spells from your database and create a new spell file with it. All you have to do is hit save link as and save it to your desktop and move it to your EQ directory.

What I just explained is basically how everything in EoC works.. if you create an item the same exact thing happens.. but you won't get any errors because items don't require anything from your client.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask man.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:13 PM
Esildor
Hill Giant

Question

Thanks, I've been careful about going trigger happy on things I don't understand.

I figured that out, unfortunately the item description on my portal spell is ports to Gfay (534?) but my spell doesn't port there. I was looking in dbstr.txt(?) do I need to add a spell description in there for my new spell?

Thus far I haven't been able to find a feature that lets me create a brand new spell; is there one or should I just be editing obsolete ones?
Old 03-13-2014, 03:25 PM
Township EQ
Hill Giant

Port spells are pretty weird actually.. Check this thread out: http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37949

and the description in dbstr is only necessary when you right click a spell and want text for it.. Like when you right click minor heal and it says "heals for between x and x amount of health"

the spell will completely work even if you set the description to 0.. there will just be nothing when you right click it unless you're running MQ2.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:57 PM
Esildor
Hill Giant

I think you posted the wrong link for thread because it's a link to this one.

That's good to know about the description thing.

I made a port to my start zone and then put that port on an item so people can easily return to that area, the port on the item is called:

"Theater Gate"

It doesn't port to Greater Faydark but under "Spell Effect" on the item it says

"Spell Effect: Opens an arcane portal that teleports you to the Greater Faydark."

I probably copied numbers from the Greater Faydark to make sure I had numbers for a "port" spell if that makes sense, is one of those numbers making it say that?

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2014, 04:18 PM
Dunge0nMastr
Hill Giant

THe spell descriptions are handled within the dbstr_us.txt file in the clients folder. Each spell has a "Desc Number" (thats what its labeled as in PEQ editor, id have to take a peak at the db to see if that corresponds) which corresponds to the # within the dbstr which you can use to edit the description.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:11 PM
Township EQ
Hill Giant

Yeah.. I definitely did post the wrong link.. haha.. stupid of me.

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37519

That thread is only if your port spell is porting you to wonky locations in the zone.. What Bront is telling you is how you're going to change your issue.. You're going to have to distribute your dbstr file for anyone who plays on your server if you want them to see that description.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:00 AM
Esildor
Hill Giant

I didn't have a chance to play with spell descriptions again tonight, but, plan on trying to get that set up tomorrow.

Reading the post you linked about the teleport coordinates in the spell, Township, the theory about the 4th number being heading if divided by 2; I've tried so many different numbers and can't get my port to face people the way I want it to .. probably play around with that a bit more tomorrow too.