Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:39 AM
Huppy
Demi-God

Default Is there any server that has a ..........description ?

FOR THOSE who need help in finding a server that has this and that or something else,
new people might not realize there is an available list that shows all the active servers,
as well as the current status & population of each server. (Some may be listed as
"down" or "locked").

Link to Server List (shown on top right of EQEmulator Home page) :

http://www.eqemulator.org/index.php?pageid=serverlist

On all the "registered" servers listed, it has a "view" link to click on. This will either give
a description of the type of server and maybe what it offers and/or a link to a website
that will give you info, etc.

If you don't find what your looking for on that list, then it doesn't exist or won't exist
until someone builds it. There is plenty of servers to enjoy ....Have Fun
Old 12-05-2015, 09:50 AM
provocating
Demi-God

I really think they know the list is there, I think it is laziness.
Old 12-05-2015, 03:44 PM
lupisnoctum
Sarnak

I'll agree with the "laziness" diagnosis, but it's not so much the players as it is so many of the self-styled developers who apparently can't be bothered to register and add even a brief description of their server. Maybe not everyone wants to take the extra five minutes and knock together a forum so that they can provide more detailed information about what they're up to, but registering the server itself and throwing down some minimal info shouldn't be as rare as it is these days.

It's kind of hard to make a case for potential players to invest their time in playing a server when the "developer" can't even be bothered to do the bare minimum to communicate with them and perhaps attract their interest. A lot of the members of the Zero Club don't even bother to put anything in their MOTD.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:10 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupisnoctum View Post
I'll agree with the "laziness" diagnosis, but it's not so much the players as it is so many of the self-styled developers who apparently can't be bothered to register and add even a brief description of their server. Maybe not everyone wants to take the extra five minutes and knock together a forum so that they can provide more detailed information about what they're up to, but registering the server itself and throwing down some minimal info shouldn't be as rare as it is these days.

It's kind of hard to make a case for potential players to invest their time in playing a server when the "developer" can't even be bothered to do the bare minimum to communicate with them and perhaps attract their interest. A lot of the members of the Zero Club don't even bother to put anything in their MOTD.
I never figured out why they do that.....or I guess do not do that.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:36 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

I seen a post from someone looking for a few things including a server population of 100+
Well, all he had to do was look at the Server List to see the current status of the servers
and, if they are registered, then clicking on the "view" will show the overall population stats.
(online, maximum). But sometimes, I think some people actually looked at that list
and thought maybe they were going to find that infamous invisible server by posting
about what they are looking for. Hence: if they don't see it on the list, it doesn't exist.

Myself, I think there is something there for everyone who is reasonable. I often see
players who want features and benefits that will help them level real fast. I don't get
that preference. A server could be set up to let someone level to 100 with custom
uber gear, all done in one day. But then what ? Even if a player only has very limited
time to play the game, there is still no hurry to get to the "end of the game" Hahaha
Old 12-05-2015, 05:45 PM
provocating
Demi-God

You cannot look at the server population and get an accurate count of players though. Many of those you see with a population of 50+ are not actual players. Some players are actually managing 30 to 60 boxes. It does not take but a few of those to hit 150+

A tiny server like mine hitting 12 players makes me happy, that is like 200 players on a heavily boxed server, just saying.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:54 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by provocating View Post
You cannot look at the server population and get an accurate count of players though. Many of those you see with a population of 50+ are not actual players. Some players are actually managing 30 to 60 boxes. It does not take but a few of those to hit 150+

A tiny server like mine hitting 12 players makes me happy, that is like 200 players on a heavily boxed server, just saying.

LOL, You know, I have heard "rumours" about that from people. I used to box
a few toons back on live eq, but I couldn't imagine trying to manage that many.
But if a server owner is allowing that (or doing it himself), it will do more harm
to attracting legit players, than good. Because if a player sees population stats
like that and logs on to the server only to find out there isn't a raid guild or
something to to play with, it's a setup for disappointment.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:20 PM
jabedoben
Sarnak

Could be laziness. Or it could be that some people would like to get an opinion from kind, friendly players who may have tried out different servers and would like to offer up a suggestion.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:16 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

Something else to take in to consideration, on that server list, with many of the low
population ones you see, which show an average of 1-3 players, some people put
these servers together without a priority for the public. Some will set a server up
to simply let their friends and/or relatives login to play. One can have their own
private login server, but it can be a lot easier for some to just link their private server
in to the EQEmu site.
But some server owners are developing their individual servers with a focus on their
own preferences of what kind of server they want. Some will definately listen to
suggestions if they have a priority of populating their server, but it's not like a little
restaurant. You won't see a pizza/pasta place start serving chinese food because a
few customers suggested it.
My server is not going have a whole bunch of uber features, which help people level
to max in a week. Think how eq live was 10 years ago, and thats what my restaurant is
serving. (smirk)
But in the end "The Bottom Line" - Its all free for the players. Nothing to complain
about. Its not, however, free for the server owners who work at populating a server.
VM's Data Centers, Servers, Bandwidth, it all costs money and these owners are
dishing it out of their own pockets. I only pay out an extra $35/month to run my
server, but even then, I can not populate it with a major amount of players. Maybe
40'ish tops concurrent, but anymore, then I would have to look at more money.