Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::General > Archive::General Discussion

Archive::General Discussion Archive area for General Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 07-15-2004, 01:38 PM
Jett
Fire Beetle

Default EQLive testing new login 7/16

This could get ugly if they change it like they did last time, if they keep a similar eqhost it shouldnt be too bad, but im not a dev hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EQLive
Hey folks,

Our platform group has put together a new version of Launchpad, just for EverQuest. The new Launchpad system, which is used for all other SOE games, is now being applied to the Test server for you folks to try out. Please log into test, using the Testeverquest.exe icon from your EQ directory and download the Launchpad front end. Expect the login process to be a little slower the first couple of uses as it sets up its caches, but after it is all set, you should be logging in faster than ever.

Make sure you submit your feedback using the bug command in-game or by using the feedback link, here on the Dev Corner.
Just a heads up, when they add it, you may not want to patch. :lol:
Old 07-15-2004, 07:37 PM
aendaar
Sarnak

it has become increasingly obvious that SOE is slowly and quietly trying to break EQEmu, this being alot of proof
Old 07-15-2004, 08:17 PM
sshinji
Fire Beetle

PlanetSide requires you to log in before you can patch... if this is what they are doin... some EQEmu members wont be playing for free or at all anymore... if you know what i mean -_-
Old 07-15-2004, 11:09 PM
rizzen04
Hill Giant

Quote:
it has become increasingly obvious that SOE is slowly and quietly trying to break EQEmu, this being alot of proof
I think SOE couldnt give a shit about EQEMU, this is a very small project in comparison to the amount of work it takes them just to modify something like that. They are still bringing in tons of money off EQ and even alot of the people that play EQEMU have live accounts on EQ still. there are around 16,000 registered accounts here, even if that was 1 account per person and always active it wouldnt even dent EQ's total account base.
If it doesn
Old 07-16-2004, 12:14 AM
meeble
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshinji
PlanetSide requires you to log in before you can patch... if this is what they are doin... some EQEmu members wont be playing for free or at all anymore... if you know what i mean -_-
Indeed, it does look like that's what they're doing. They said it's the same Launchpad system as is used for their other games, and I know that SWG certainly requires you to login before patch, so it looks like going to be the same system. *sigh*
Moopy.nu : Personal website, very boring!
ToastyHost.com : Affordable quality web hosting, with oodles of features!
Old 07-16-2004, 01:25 AM
Melwin2
Fire Beetle

Location: Outside. Pressing my nose up against the window. YOUR window.

Good thing that they keep all EQ files up for download on their FTP then, huh? Secondly, I think it's high time we client locked.

I know they keep zone files and such for all their games, so I can't imagine they wouldn't keep game files there.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:07 AM
Jett
Fire Beetle

Hmm, as of 12:00 Noon PST, i logged on test and there was no change *shrug*
Old 07-18-2004, 12:40 PM
Katts
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeble
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshinji
Indeed, it does look like that's what they're doing. They said it's the same Launchpad system as is used for their other games, and I know that SWG certainly requires you to login before patch, so it looks like going to be the same system. *sigh*
Yep.. its true. If you have LaunchPad from Sony installed you can tell.

Make a shortcut, and edit it like this:

"C:\Program Files\Sony\Station\Launchpad\LaunchPad.exe" /game:Everquest

Run that, and it will download the new-developmental Everquest Patcher. My guess is they will transition it over eventually... but it may or may not be working now.
Old 07-18-2004, 03:43 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

All the more reason to get our own client going. Once they make the transition the result could be disastrous for EQEmu. I've been working like crazy trying to get mob models rendering and to learn everything I can about .WLD files. I'll be releasing an updated WLD reference doc and some other goodies sometime this week. I strongly suggest that anyone who can help develop a client please do so, since the clock is definitely ticking.

WC

P.S. By the way, there's a problem with the forum. I can't post a new topic :(
Old 07-18-2004, 04:09 PM
fnemo
Discordant

why trying to read a file format you know almost nothing (or knew) instead of creating a new one ?
why stick with the old op_codes problems (the unknown ones) instead of implementing your own op_code both in client and server ?
Old 07-18-2004, 04:17 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

I agree with respect to opcodes, but a client still has to read the EQ content that all players have. I'm working on trying to read content so a client will be able to prosper. If I was writing a client I'd pick an existing EQEmu version and just stick to that in terms of opcodes.

WC
Old 07-18-2004, 04:56 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

Actually as I think about it I guess it isn't disastrous for EQEmu, but it means that everyone has to pay for an account. It's still a pain in the butt though and would hurt the project mightily, I suspect.

WC

By the way, I still can't post a new topic :( Something about a SQL error on line 269...
Old 07-18-2004, 11:28 PM
killspree
Dragon

I'm not sure I understand how this really hurts? Logging in before patching shouldn't hurt as long as the patch server is in eqhost too, shouldn't it?
Old 07-18-2004, 11:49 PM
Melwin2
Fire Beetle

Location: Outside. Pressing my nose up against the window. YOUR window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killspree
I'm not sure I understand how this really hurts? Logging in before patching shouldn't hurt as long as the patch server is in eqhost too, shouldn't it?
eqhost has nothing to do with the patch server. eqhost.txt manages the login and registration servers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windcatcher
Actually as I think about it I guess it isn't disastrous for EQEmu, but it means that everyone has to pay for an account. It's still a pain in the butt though and would hurt the project mightily, I suspect.

WC

By the way, I still can't post a new topic :( Something about a SQL error on line 269...
An EQ client of our own would be hot, but it'll be some time before it's done, and our popularity and thus population will still crumble. And if everyone had to pay for an account to play, our population would become nil.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:34 AM
bloodgoth
Sarnak

We could have our own client, we wouldn't be able to charge for accounts though... That's like, totally illegal. If we had a dedicated host, I'm sure we could get someone who plays both EQLive and EQEmu to upload the changed files every time it is patched, therefore providing it to the community via a patcher that is run from our end.

-edit-

Or... Ya know, we could just modify the old patcher and still leech off the SOE ftps.