Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

View Poll Results: Do we need a Blacklist for Hackers and Cheaters ?
YES! 10 43.48%
NO! 8 34.78%
I don't mind 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2007, 11:18 AM
aza77
Hill Giant

Default Blacklist of Cheaters/Hackers

Just an idea.. but what about starting a new sub about hackers and cheaters. Peoples could send the account names to eg Mattmeck or whoever else administrates it, together with a proof like a log file, picture or whatever and the account will be added to the list. Other server administrators will than be able to ban certain accounts/players that cause more harm than fun before they even log in at their servers.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:06 PM
mattmeck

We would need some controle over what usernames are posted, we wouldnt want someone who is just mad at someone else to give there name.

There must be proof, and every one will be reviewed, and if someone is a big enough problem we can always IP ban them too.

Most server owners dont realize they can IP ban people too, just disallow there IP from accesing the server box.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:11 PM
bufferofnewbies
Hill Giant

aza sounded like he volunteered to lead the review committee to me, Matt.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:14 PM
eq4me
Hill Giant

I cant comment for the USA but here in Europe the vast majority of people are using dialup accounts with variable IPs. So there is no use in banning on an IP basis. Moreover a normal Player without Guide/GM rights on an Emu server cant see the underlying accout name of an char. Since the char itself is only managed on the Emu server it is played on nobody but an Guid/GM can complain effectively to the maintainers of the login server.

But be aware that a new account is created in little time and the cheater is back in business. Yes, he will loose his old toon but imho this is of little conseqence since he most likely got booted from the server he last played on(and which GM complained) anyway. In banning him he might be even motivated to prove that you cant stop him. At least that was my impression from my time managing an Action Quake2 Server way back.

Last edited by eq4me; 01-09-2007 at 08:18 PM..
Old 01-09-2007, 01:44 PM
RangerDown
Demi-God

I don't feel it's the project's place to get involved in affairs with any individual server. That used to happen a lot, and I never saw any good come out of it. All that came out of it were blemishes on the project and dev team's reputations.
<idleRPG> Rogean ate a plate of discounted, day-old sushi. This terrible calamity has slowed them 0 days, 15:13:51 from level 48.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:16 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDown
I don't feel it's the project's place to get involved in affairs with any individual server. That used to happen a lot, and I never saw any good come out of it. All that came out of it were blemishes on the project and dev team's reputations.
Totally agree...
Old 01-09-2007, 05:15 PM
CrabClaw
Hill Giant

Hmm, I'll have to vote no on this one. Policing a server should be the server owner's responsibility and theirs alone. There is no real way to verify any evidence anyone could provide. Since a server owner could virtually create any evidence in the database, screen shots or log files (which really are just plain, un-encoded text files), it is too easy to fake. The only thing you can do ban them, delete their accounts and post it up in your own forums.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:09 AM
Jibbatwinkers
Sarnak

If someone really obnoxious shows up on KMRA or Zebuxoruk Mort and I just let each other know and we throw a ban on them on both servers. We've only ever had to do it once and only in extreme cases.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:15 AM
Cripp
Discordant

ya i think the serverOP should deal with all there own problems with there population...
and ya, thats a good idea to share known fools to other serverOPs like Mort and Jib did.
but ya... people on servers should be dealt by the owner or GMs of the server.. not EQEmu..

cuz what if someone wants to be a dick on one server and be good on another? ;p

www.nugblazers.com
Old 01-12-2007, 05:45 AM
mattmeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripp
be dealt by the owner or GMs of the server.. not EQEmu..
EQEmu is not going to deal with them (unless its an extream situation) I am offering a section of the forum for the OP's to shair the info. There just needs to be some QC over whats posted.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:32 PM
EliteSting
Sarnak

After having to deal with an obnoxious twit just recently , I personally think an area for server Op's to give each other a heads up on not potential problem players , but actual problem players that are a recurring problem is a good idea. Granted , like Mattmeck said before , there will need to be some QC on whats posted. I know it's going to be a pita , but Ill say it anyway ... maybe if the section was limited to server op's it would cut down on the QC aspect , rather then having it in the general public. Just my random thoughts..
Old 01-14-2007, 09:18 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteSting
I know it's going to be a pita , but Ill say it anyway ... maybe if the section was limited to server op's it would cut down on the QC aspect , rather then having it in the general public.
I was just thinking of what a maintenance nightmare this would be. The forum admins job would become unbearable... do you know how many servers come and go? While it would be great, I am not sure it's something they'd be interested in doing. Unless, somehow, it was tied to the account that sets up a server - but then, anyone could go setup a server, gain access, and see what the secret society is saying.

Lose:Lose scenario, I am afraid. Maybe someone offsite from eqemulator.net could host something like this? I could, but even I am not that interested in changing access every week.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:25 PM
GeorgeS
Forum Guide

Actually this would be easy for me since I could code a .NET FTP program with write access that would update the list whenever anyone ran the program with a notepad full of data. If you want something like this coded let me know.

Only server ops will have access to the program password to update it.

GeorgeS

http://www.georgestools.chrsschb.com//
Old 01-18-2007, 05:46 AM
sdabbs65
Dragon

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeS
Actually this would be easy for me since I could code a .NET FTP program with write access that would update the list whenever anyone ran the program with a notepad full of data. If you want something like this coded let me know.

Only server ops will have access to the program password to update it.

GeorgeS
Good Idea....
Seeing anything like this actually working would be impossable to maintain
because of the abuse most of the players maintain thuout Servers.
Most anyone can boot up a shard and say there a servop.
I recommend they have a shard up at least 2 years to access the database
with Verified web site to boot.
I have always used disallow there IP from accesing the server box.
and it seems to work out good but they still hit my webserver untill I ban them there 2.

www.cheaterz.info

Last edited by sdabbs65; 01-18-2007 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: .
Old 01-18-2007, 10:29 AM
Darkonig
Hill Giant

Hackers and cheaters? Making the game enjoyable or making it a nightmare? These are not necessarily related topics. Hackers are an essential part of the emulator. If it were not for hackers, the eqemu would not exist. Those who dig into the inner workings to find out what makes them tick and then incorporate those ideas into the emulator are a necessity.

It is possible, and I experienced it on live even, for someone who is neither a hacker nor a cheater to make the game unenjoyable for others, by hogging spawns, training, harrassing. All it takes is a selfish attitude and a login. This kind of behavior is irrespective of if a player is a hacker or cheater.

When you talk about should hackers and cheaters be banned, what exactly are you talking about and how do you identify it is taking place?