Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:47 PM
Steel
Sarnak

Default Newbie here.

Hello all,

New to this emu idea so forgive me if i ask something wrong here.We were all newbs once right?

Ive searched the forum but there are some things about eqemu that i do not understand.

1-is eqemu,in its basic form,just like EQlive?Is everything in place?Quests,mobs,items,epics,zones,combines,etc.. or are they hand placed and made by the team?If not,whats missing from the EQ experiance?Or do i need some sort of other files?

2-Has anyone made a UI thats just like the classic one from the kunark/velious era that i loved and miss so much?

3-Is there a way to spawn the items and levs that me and my friends/family had when we quit EQ so we could pick up right were we left off?

4-How strong of a LAN server would i need for say like 2 LAN connections and sometimes/rarely 4 inet connections max?

5-Do i need any other files besides the EQemu(0.7.0-1040)file to play on a emu server someone else created?

6-What files do i need for a mini login/lan server for me,friends/family?

7-How far in content is the project?

On a side note,I think its great what you all are doing.The ability to play offline is what ive been looking for since day one EQ came out.I quit for the same reasons i'd say alot of you quit.I'm looking forward to giving this a round when titanium arrives.

Appreciate it.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:09 AM
TheLieka
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel
1-is eqemu,in its basic form,just like EQlive?Is everything in place?Quests,mobs,items,epics,zones,combines,etc.. or are they hand placed and made by the team?If not,whats missing from the EQ experiance?Or do i need some sort of other files?
Some of it is, some of it isn't. The VAST majority of it is, but each server op puts their own spin on things.

The thing to remember is, there are two parts to a server. The game dynamics, and the content. The majority of the game dynamics are handled by the EQEmu server piece (which is eqemulator.net) and the majority of the content is handled by the database (typically PEQ or Angelox).

The vanilla server (EQEmu + PEQ) mirrors EQLive in most aspects, as far as content and dynamics. I believe PEQ has content populated and available through 95% of Luclin, some (or all of) LoY, and most of PoP, but each ServerOp is independent of PEQ and EQEmu, so they could (in theory) completely rebuild the way the game dynamics run and the database content, and many successful servers have done this. You would have to log in and play on a few to see what I mean.

Quote:
2-Has anyone made a UI thats just like the classic one from the kunark/velious era that i loved and miss so much?
Not to my knowledge. I haven't found anyone willing to post a custom UI, and frankly, I haven't taken the time to customize one myself. It's all XML, so if you'd like to build it, post it here and help the community out. That's how we continue to learn and grow.

Quote:
3-Is there a way to spawn the items and levs that me and my friends/family had when we quit EQ so we could pick up right were we left off?
That's a conversation between you and ServerOps/GMs for whichever server you choose. It CAN be done, but the question is, would they do it? I wouldn't, but I run a legit PvP server, so putting your EQLive toons into the mix, would likely unbalance things.

Quote:
4-How strong of a LAN server would i need for say like 2 LAN connections and sometimes/rarely 4 inet connections max?
From my experience, any PC from the last 4 years can host the server, without many issues, especially using dynamic zone launchers

Quote:
5-Do i need any other files besides the EQemu(0.7.0-1040)file to play on a emu server someone else created?
You don't need EQEmu 0.7.0, that is the server. To play on someone else's (or your own) server, you need Everquest Titanium. You can buy it at the store for $20, no other version is supported (read as: get Titanium if you want to play).

Quote:
See Item 4.

Quote:
See Item 1.

Welcome to the community.

Dax

Former ServerOp - Vallon Zek / Tallon Zek Emu Server - Legit / Guild PvP - (2007 - 2011 RIP)
Old 09-07-2007, 07:30 AM
Wizzel
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel View Post
Hello all,

New to this emu idea so forgive me if i ask something wrong here.We were all newbs once right?

Ive searched the forum but there are some things about eqemu that i do not understand.

On a side note,I think its great what you all are doing.The ability to play offline is what ive been looking for since day one EQ came out.I quit for the same reasons i'd say alot of you quit.I'm looking forward to giving this a round when titanium arrives.

Appreciate it.
What you are looking for is not here right now but is on its way. Stay tuned.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:12 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

Quote:
Actually, everything you seek is currently available - except Wizzel's classic client, which is a W.I.P. The EMu is not populated 100% to live, and never will be (unless we get tons more help). Suffice it to say, literally thousands of players have enjoyed current EMu content, since the best part about the EMu is that content can be customized almost any way you like - including zones you've never seen before.

Welcome, and enjoy.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:41 PM
Criimson
Hill Giant

Quote:
The two major distros that are Live-focused are:
PEQ - http://eqemu.sesmar.net/
and
Angelox's Classic DB -
http://www.nahunta.org/~angelox/
Both of these you can play on their server or DL and host your own
If you are new to MySQL I'd suggest going to PEQ and getting their server pack..it will take care of most of the setup for you.

Quote:
Go to www.eqinterface.com as I seem to remember seeing one there that was based on the old interface. Just remember to DL interface parts made for OoW, DoN, DoD, or earlier as the new things won't work and may cause issues.

Quote:
You can go to http://66.159.225.58/eqemu/eq.html and use the item editor. It will allow you to add any magelo to your characters (ie the exact one you had when you quit) and also has a ton of other tools to help you with your DB.

Quote:
You need the eqemu files to host a server and when ya edit the config.xml file make sure ya make it a mini login and then also DL the minilogin files for the server host to enable LAN play or just make it a normal server (connected to the eqemulator servers).

Criimson
Old 09-13-2007, 06:46 PM
Steel
Sarnak

As it stands right now i'll be alone on the server for a while.If they dont put me off again,i'll be going into the hospital monday and they told me to expect to stay 3 weeks at least.So i'll be setting up the server in the hospital since thats the day Titanium supposed to arrive.Gonna have a friend bring it to me in the hospital so i can setup the mini login.Setting it up and playing it will give me something to do since TV in the hospital sucks.Plans after the hospital stay is going to be teaching 2,via LAN,to play EQ with the help every so often from friends that are local and played EQ when i did,via Inet connection.Then after we learn the 2 how to play EQ effeciently and explore the parts EQ that we never got to,either join a live emu server or open our own server up if it will handle it.

Since i won't be able to play a live emu server before i hit the hospital and there is not inet there i need to get all my ducks in a row before i go.So let me me go ahead and ask the questions needed.

Is there a publicly released DB that favors solo play?A DB like that would make training the noobs easier and it would also make my hospital stay alot more pleasent!

File check:So far i have DLed "EQEmu-0.7.0-1042","EQEmu-0.7.0-1042-source","EQemu Guide","WinCvs2_0_2-4","ActivePerl-5[1].8.8.820-MSwin32-x86-274739","EQitem(editer)","Maps.tar","New_Maps.zip" ,"Minilogin6.2","msvcp71.dll","msvcr71.dll","My sql-5.0.45-win32","Mysql-gui-tools-5.0-r9a-win32",and I've DLed PEQ's DB and Quests using CVS.Anything else I need and/or any of these the wrong version?

Are the GM items in the DB and summonable?A few will come in handy.

Dang its late and I forgot the other ?'s so maybe tommorow.

Thanks for the links and info all.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:43 AM
TheLieka
Developer

Wow... wanna talk about flame-proofing your post.

Former ServerOp - Vallon Zek / Tallon Zek Emu Server - Legit / Guild PvP - (2007 - 2011 RIP)
Old 09-14-2007, 08:45 AM
Steel
Sarnak

? Not sure what you mean.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:17 AM
Theeper
Discordant

I think he means that you were proficient in making sure you know what you need, so noone should flame you because you did your homework and didn't say ... "Hay guyz, i have Trilogy, how do i setup emuz, pleaz help?!!?!?"

Quote:
Is there a publicly released DB that favors solo play?
PEQ is live-like, and AX is geared towards pre-velious content I think. I am guessing that PEQ would be more favorable towards soloing.

Quote:
Are the GM items in the DB and summonable?
All items are summonable. I never tried to look for any GM only items, but if they're there, you can summon them.

Quote:
Anything else I need and/or any of these the wrong version?
Might wanna get a DB management tool.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:27 PM
Steel
Sarnak

Thanks for clearing that up!!I really thought i had screwed up or something and re-re-re-re-re-re-re-read the post to see where i went wrong lol.

As for a DB management tool-I havent run across any threads on them so far so i'm not entirely what it does.Same goes for the packet collector-een alot of talk on it but dont understand what it does.Still researching though.What is the name of the DB man tool and i'll see what i can do to get it and research its use.

As for most things software related;its complete jibberish to me but I try.

Ran into something im unclear about.After I DLed peq db and quests a day or so later i thought i would check and see if it was updated.I rann the program the same but instead of detecting if I already had a file and just getting updated/added ones,it completely downloaded them all again and placed them in a folder inside the origional folder.So im unclear how to update properly.

Reason i asked about the GM items is for situational reasons.Say im testing thier alertness and how to deal with adds-I let them go find and pull a mob to camp-while they are thrashing on the one i make another mob attack them and maybe another.It seems it would be quicker to help them with a clicky that i clicked(as GM) and correct them on thier mistake and immediatly send them into another battle so they cann test my theory and see how it works than to let them die and have to hold thier hand persay back to the camp spot and/or rez and rebuff and re-med and wait for rez affects to wear off(the cust serv rez will help there too).The downtime without the items will discust them eventually and make them lose interest too.

Does the no drop item rule apply to those with GM/serv op status with or without GM/guide status flag turned on?If they accomplish a task i set for them can i summon the nodrop and/or lev required/recommended item on my cursor and hand it to them in "trade" fashion for a prize?

Still Appreciate it!
Old 09-15-2007, 03:29 AM
Theeper
Discordant

Think of a DB management tool as a GUI that makes manually editing and looking up things in your DB easier than typing in SQL at a command prompt. Personally, I use phpMyAdmin, which is a web based system. Lot's of people here use Navicat.

You don't need GM items for giving items and killing mobs. You just use commands. Look up the GM commands on the site or do #help in-game.

AFAIK, no drop does apply to GMs, but you can use the "#giveitem" command to give a no drop item to a player. So "#giveitem 2300" would put JBoots on your target's cursor (using PEQ DB).