Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:41 PM
crazz2323
Fire Beetle

Default Any good server close to old EQ but pre Planes of Power?

I was looking through the forums and had trouble finding an answer to my question. I would really love a server that goes up to but does not include Planes of Power. To me the loss of boats, mini map and teleporting all over was the beginning of the end for EQ. I would like a solid legit server with a good population, that is as close to old EQ was back then as possible. Any like this exists?
Old 05-12-2008, 12:16 AM
eboogaloo
Fire Beetle

Man if you find this let me know thanks in advance
Old 05-12-2008, 12:28 AM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

the thing is that boats do not realy work anyway.
some server use simulated boats- you walk up to the boat and teleports you to next location where real boat would have made next stop, but there is no real boat travel. - there reason for this is because long time SOE managed to broke the solidity of boat model, so it no longer capable of carrying player on it- you will fall throw if try to step on it. The SOE "fixed" this by adding translocators and telling everyone that strange magic prevents boat travel =)
They eventualy did fixed the real boats that was way long after Titanium release

But anyway, what you should realy look for is the server which disabled PoK books, rather than POP itself (there is nothing wrong with Planes of Power, the problem is only with PoK books =)

When my server (which is curently in development) goes to live - there won't any clicky books around
Old 05-12-2008, 01:05 AM
dojo420
Fire Beetle

a server recently started that might interest you is Ascent.
it's a progression server currently at kunark level. you have translocators for
boats (as explained above) and ones that connect spires (nk, dl, gfay, tox) + fob.
For more detailed information on the server's "vision" look at it's EQemu thread.
The GM Asphixiate has been very helpful so far and the population peaked at
around 25 players . We got characters in all level ranges.

I just got back to EQ a couple weeks ago and disliked the current EQlive version.
It was just too different from what i left from several years ago. That's how i
found out about EQemu and after testing several servers i settled on Ascent as
it's the closest to old school eq with a great community.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:29 PM
crazz2323
Fire Beetle

Thanks for the replies! I suppose I can live without actually riding the boats but yes I really want the clicky books disabled. The books and auto maps actually bug me. I will check out Ascent.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:18 PM
crazz2323
Fire Beetle

I checked out Ascent and it is pretty good. Unfortunately, it is a progression server so eventually it will have those darn books but with a pop of only 9 today I'm not too worried about it anytime soon. I do wonder however if my wife and I will be able to handle it as a duo if it really is an EQ Classic server, that may be a problem.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Cvinion
Sarnak

check out this Thread

http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25146

its Old world, Kunark and Velious