Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:25 PM
laxative
Hill Giant

Default quick discipline question

I read through all the posts regarding the quests for disciplines etc.

Would anyone be willing to elaborate how this is handled database side?

I am looking at experimenting giving other classes existing disciplines.

I think it has to do with modifying the spell associated with the disc but Im getting stuck there trying to link it with the skill.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2008, 09:29 PM
trevius
Developer

You would probably need to edit the source code to get most of them to do what you are wanting.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:47 AM
hayward6
Forum Guide

I may not have all the facts since I've never played anything but a caster, but I don't think you can give disciplines to a class that isn't designed to have them. I think you would run into the same problem if you tried giving Warriors a mana bar and spells... It just isn't designed that way.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:15 AM
So_1337
Dragon

I don't know about that. Most disciplines currently function as spell effects. I don't see a reason that you couldn't make it happen.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:44 AM
laxative
Hill Giant

I'm still working on this, here is a bit of what I've tried so far, I have had no luck yet but I want those who might know how this is done to show that I'm not just leeching.

I aslo figured that this was essentially a spell effect. But I also thought it might be a skill. The following was all done using NaviCat and is on Angelox's ax_classic database.

I first tried to identify the defensive discipline in the class_skill table. What I found there was a structure of all the classes 1-15 with skills 1 - 73. Most entries are either 1 or 66, but I saw some 15's etc. I thought the value under the skill may indicate what level the tune got the skill. Example

Skill_1 Might be Sense heading, all characters get this at level 1, so all the values for this skill are 1, Skill_17 might be parry, this is where it gets confusing because without a textual context it's very hard to say whether Im on the right track on not. This proved fruitless so I moved on.

I found the Defensive_Discipline in Spells, spell ID 4499 (I think that's what I remember) but browsing through the columns I could find nothing that specified what class got that at what level, should be pretty easy to find since Warrior is Class 1, and they get it at 55. It of course was not that easy.

I continued working and found in the items table, Tome of Defensive Discipline. A specific column in this table was "classes" with a value of 1. OK that made sense to me, Defensive is a warrior ONLY ability and teh warrior class has a value of 1. So then I looked up Tome of Resistant Discipline and it's "classes" value was 42969, This is where I got stuck somehow this value must correspond to what classes can get it. So here is what I did.

I modified the 'classes' column in defensive to match resistant. Then I summoned the item into my level 2 paladin and checked it out. The item still says War(55) So Maybe I was successful and the description doesn't look at the classes table for labeling the item, or I'm still WAY off.

Two more obstacles(if Im close)
1. I'm pretty sure the quest scripts will cut me off as there is probably a *classcheck* of some kind
2. The spell definition Im sure limits to warrior only somehow too, so I need to overcome that as well.

I'm going to backtrack just a little and try to make a warrior only item, paladin usable, like a weapon, that should give me more information.

Thanks for input so far.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:51 PM
laxative
Hill Giant

Update, Getting Closer, GuildMaster Still Poking me

ok, so I copied the Tome of Defensive Discipline to another new item.

I Figured out the how the classes column works, it's pretty cleaver and it's based on .. Binary!

Value= 1 | Binary that's 00000001 Position 1 is 1, Warrior is Class 1
Value= 16 | Binary that's 00010000 Position 5 is 1, Shadownight is Class 5
Value=17 | Binary that 00010001 Position 1 and 5 ergo Shad/War

To be sure I set the classes value to 65535 (all classes)

I updated my spells_us.txt file To Reflect Pal(1) (yes im testing giving disc at level 1) *** this is purely cosmetic

The Tome carries ScrollEffect 4499 (which I interpret to Spell 4499)

So I opened up table Spell 4499 and Set Column Class_3 to 1 Class_1 = Warr and that value is 55 (when wars got def) Class_2 is clearic that value is 255, No Def for Clerics! and as I said I changed class_3 to 1 Paladin Disc at 1!

I couldnt find any other ties to character classes but my Guildmaster says
your class cannot learn this.

So like Hay said it's buried in the source code, or the scroll effect 4499 has it's own constraints but there is no scroll table, so Im pretty sure it's linked to the spell.

Unless someone solves this before I give up, my next try is to create a new disc, using holyforge as the template, but setting the same spell id .. we'll seee!
Old 08-21-2008, 04:34 PM
So_1337
Dragon

For a list of skills, refer to the Wiki: Skill List.

And for just a lot of useful lists in general: EQLists.

Going back to read the rest now, only got to where you were talking about Parry about skill #17, and thought I'd show you where to find the information =)
Old 08-21-2008, 07:40 PM
trevius
Developer

If you want to edit the classes that can use a spell, you will want to use the Ailia/Bleh spell editor tool from the tools section of the forums. It is pretty simple to use. Just install it into whatever directory you want and put your spells_us.txt in that same directory. Then, once you edit and save the changes, just copy the spell file back into your server directory. You probably want to keep a backup of your spell files just in case there are issues with the change.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:06 PM
laxative
Hill Giant

Trev, and others,

Yes thanks I read a lot more of the wiki today. I also downloaded Bleh spell editor, And yes it works great.

I changed direction on the discipline route, I copied the shrunken goblin skull earring and gave it click_effect 4499

Then I edited spell4499 to be available to Pal 1. That seems to work except when I click on the item I get "you assume a defensive stance" but the very next tick the effect fades.

Im thinking this has someting to do with the duration formula, but I've not gone that far yet. Maybe if I leveled to 55 it would work correctly. So now that I know how to make/edit items I'm going to go back and see how to get the paladin class to actually know the discipline.

Im thinking that is probably buried in code, but since all the melee classes have disciplines the code should be similar in some fashion.

On the actual item 66403 one column is MeleeLearnSkill does anyknow know what that might correspond to? Maybe there is another table that has the skills and who can have them.

Guesswork Now: Each Guildmaster can teach any of the dicplines. When I handed the Paladin GM the Defensive tome he told me I couldnt learn the skill. The client didn't crash, so I infer there he did some sort of lookup, and gave me the big no.

So has anyone located another section of the database pertaining to Disciplines?

Thanks
Old 04-04-2010, 01:00 AM
ArkR
Fire Beetle

Never saw a final followup but this thread helped me do what poster asked about:
I wanted to give Shadowknight and Paladin Defensive and Evasive Disciplines. Class numbering: Warrior=1, Paladin=3, Shadowknight=5. For the classes field in items this is indeed binary, change it from 1 (warrior only) to binary 10101=21. Then modify spells_new to modify the spells for Defensive Discipline and Evasive Discipline to have the same value in the classes3 and classes5 fields as the classes1 field. This sets the levels knights can get the applicable disciplines. Then export spells_new using Georges EQ_spell_importer, then make a backup of your spells_us.txt, then rename spells_useNEW.txt to spells_us.txt. Final step is to copy the modified spells_us.txt to your everquest client directory (may want to back that one up as well). Pally and Shadowknight can now buy tomes from warrior tome vendor and hand them into their own Guildmaster to learn the tome. You do get the "i don't need this" text coming from the quests file but the discipline gets learned and book consumed. The book has the appropriate classes description as well. After learning the tome you must log out then back in to get the combat ability to show up. The combat abilities give appropriate descriptions, timers work and endurance drains appropriately. Parsing on a giant in Great Divide the abilities seem to be working as intended. If Sony had made a change like this on live years ago they would still be getting my money. Have fun!
Old 04-04-2010, 02:19 AM
Burningsoul
Discordant

lol awesone ArkR, I can finally give my monk tank evasive! Thanks for posting that!