Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

Default Apology to the PVP Community

Okay, I told myself I wasn't going to do this... but I guess I should, no?

Here's basically what happened with Qeynos vs Freeport:

I made a mistake. I couldn't admit that mistake because of my perfect vision of the server I had. I forgot to set up rountine backups for the server, and messed up the code somewhat. When I rebooted, it corrupted the playerprofile of every player on the server that logged in. I could not find out where this bug was, and a lot of pressure was on me. I couldn't handle it.

I shut down the server, deleted vile's user account on my box, and worst of all I was even being mean to my friends from the emulator (specifically, Akkadius.) Why did I do this? Because I was afraid to admit my flaws, and for that, I am sorry that you don't have a server, I am sorry that I shut down the server, and most of all, I am sorry that I could not provide to you a stable working environment. I had a blast; I really did. I really don't think for my mental health, or your mental health torwards me, that I should ever host a PVP server again. The community is brutal; I should have known that going in. Tensions are high, decisions based on those tensions are even more crazy.

All being said I messed up. I just wanted you, the community, to know that I am completely responsible for the actions I have done, and the immaturity behind the server's demise. That being said, if anyone wants to try and solve the issue with the server, develop the server, and best of all, make a better PVP server, PM me and I will hand everything over to you.

I am sorry for any harm I have caused on any of your lives. I'm still trying to find my place in this community and I hope you understand.

Thanks for reading.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:32 PM
Caryatis
Dragon

I think you are better at PVP than you think Secrets... you killed everybody! Most people play the game through the client, some of us play it through notepad++
Old 11-02-2010, 02:50 AM
icon41gimp
Fire Beetle

Not going to lie dude I think you have mental stability problems, but who cares if you corrupted player files on a beta server you're the admin just tell people to fuck off.

With that being said, you probably shouldn't host a pvp server for the first point I raised. Had fun on both servers at points regardless, but ima stay on vztz
Old 11-02-2010, 03:47 AM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by icon41gimp View Post
Not going to lie dude I think you have mental stability problems, but who cares if you corrupted player files on a beta server you're the admin just tell people to fuck off.

With that being said, you probably shouldn't host a pvp server for the first point I raised. Had fun on both servers at points regardless, but ima stay on vztz

Yeah, I just wanted people to know that I acted a bit of of line. If I do anything else, it probably won't be PVP and it probably won't be owned by myself.

Hope VZTZ takes off with some of my ideas in fact. They are more than welcome to use snippets from any of my codebases, as well as any other PVP server that wants them.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:26 AM
cirri
Fire Beetle

To be honest secrets if you had just said out right ive messed up most people would not of been that bothered i dont think being it was beta it was more the fact you just up and left over it which people were surprised about, for the few assholes who did make a point of saying anything you had the power to ban them out right you should of done that rather then leave. What you and vile had was really promising and could of been a very good server so its a shame you left
Old 11-02-2010, 08:20 AM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets View Post
Okay, I told myself I wasn't going to do this... but I guess I should, no?

Here's basically what happened with Qeynos vs Freeport:

I made a mistake. I couldn't admit that mistake because of my perfect vision of the server I had. I forgot to set up rountine backups for the server, and messed up the code somewhat. When I rebooted, it corrupted the playerprofile of every player on the server that logged in. I could not find out where this bug was, and a lot of pressure was on me. I couldn't handle it.

I shut down the server, deleted vile's user account on my box, and worst of all I was even being mean to my friends from the emulator (specifically, Akkadius.) Why did I do this? Because I was afraid to admit my flaws, and for that, I am sorry that you don't have a server, I am sorry that I shut down the server, and most of all, I am sorry that I could not provide to you a stable working environment. I had a blast; I really did. I really don't think for my mental health, or your mental health torwards me, that I should ever host a PVP server again. The community is brutal; I should have known that going in. Tensions are high, decisions based on those tensions are even more crazy.

All being said I messed up. I just wanted you, the community, to know that I am completely responsible for the actions I have done, and the immaturity behind the server's demise. That being said, if anyone wants to try and solve the issue with the server, develop the server, and best of all, make a better PVP server, PM me and I will hand everything over to you.

I am sorry for any harm I have caused on any of your lives. I'm still trying to find my place in this community and I hope you understand.

Thanks for reading.
I did not take any offense Secrets lol, I am here day after day if you need anything 8 D.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:44 AM
Irreverent
The Solo Server

We all have our flaws, in core or temporary, but by you being able to admit & apologize makes you have one huge merit.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:33 PM
eqemuross
Hill Giant

Glad to see you're back, it was really fun to work with you and learn from you, but I think this experience killed my will to do anything EQ related.

I was handling the player base pretty well IMO and I let you know many times not to worry about them, but I guess they got to you...

I really had big plans for the server and it sucks we let so many people down... believe me, that server was just what the EQEmu PvP community needed and wanted, but maybe it's best to let VZTZ be the only show in town.. it's a great server, the population just isn't what it used to be, and really makes it unplayable for me. I am sure once Velious is released they'll see a boost.

I am glad you came back and made a post. I'll admit I was kind of upset when I woke up to find the server gone, tons of players hitting me up, and having no answers for them.

Wish you the best of luck Secrets... you really are a talented developer, keep it up.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:10 PM
cirri
Fire Beetle

So vile does that mean if you dont want to carry on? even if you get another host? would be a shame to see such a unique pvp server go to pot over something as silly as what started all this
Old 11-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Yaeger
Fire Beetle

Thanks Secrets.

Don't often see people admit when they make mistakes and apologize.

You make another server, I'll probably play on it =).
Old 11-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Schizophrenic.Saiko
Fire Beetle

This is the 2nd time you have done this on a server in the past month...you were the demise of your own server PvP Permadeath as well, you had the same fly off the handle issues there too, that is why I didtn go to QvF...i knew that would happen again... cheers bro, get some meds for being bipolar and wish you luck with future endeavors
Old 11-04-2010, 02:57 PM
wolfwalkereci
Discordant

+ You know a lot
+ you share your knowledge
+ you help others
- you are crazy
- you are not reliably for long term assistance
= You are better then most people here so tell those others to fuck off
Old 11-04-2010, 03:32 PM
nilbog
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schizophrenic.Saiko View Post
This is the 2nd time you have done this on a server in the past month...you were the demise of your own server PvP Permadeath as well, you had the same fly off the handle issues there too, that is why I didtn go to QvF...i knew that would happen again... cheers bro, get some meds for being bipolar and wish you luck with future endeavors
Passive–aggressively attacking someone who is apologizing is weak on your part.

Secrets has helped, and continues to help my server. So.. I will back up the integrity in question.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:09 AM
Romanticday
Fire Beetle

I don't know about all this gnarly pk drama, but i was looking forward to checking this server out. Even though i'm not that interested in team pvp, i'm definitely interested in what you guys are doing here.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:29 AM
XebeknSZ
Sarnak

Dude, I don't care what anyone else says, that was a man's move to apologize like that. I doubt you'll ever make the same mistake again so just keep at this emu thing. Wow, major props for admittance.

P.S. I was just browsing the forums and logged in to write this. I haven't played EQ in a year and a half.