Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:14 PM
Lane
Sarnak

Default The need of a pvp server

EQ pvp has truly drawn me in for so many years, yet it seems that at the launch of upcoming pvp servers, all sadly end up failing or shutting down for various reasons (COH pvp, the pvp server Vile made, etc.)

VZTZ was a bunch of fun, and the GMs and staff are great, yet population is seemingly not anywhere near it's previous peak (of 300+)

I just look at servers like P99 and see a population of 700+, of people who are all one boxing!, and think to myself wow, if there's that much people into EQ Emu, a bunch of them ultimately must love to pvp yet are deprived of a server.

I'm hoping some people will post of their projects of upcoming pvp servers, or any knowledge of any servers that have potential and maybe we can get a large population on them.

Thanks.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:46 PM
supahsen
Sarnak

COH pvp was amazing. I'd play there full time if it were still around. I wish someone would take it back over.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:34 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

Unfortunately, most of the people who are capable of making a PVP server choose not to because of the time and effort it takes to tie in PVP to EverQuest, which is a PVE game (though it is still fun unintentionally to play PVP, I am sure the creative way people play PvP is not the way SOE intended it when they launched a PvP server.)

That being said I do want to make a PvP server... someday. I don't have the motivation or knowledge that much into what a PvP community wants, however I do know how they behave when mechanics are not properly implemented, such as x item is OP compared to y, or something to that degree.

As for the main branch... it's okay for pvp with a lot of work. Most of the custom ideas people have enjoyed are not in EQEmulator's main branch, mainly because none of them fit in the EQ PvP standard. That being said, if someone were to drastically change combat and balance Player versus Player, it could be the next big thing.

Few things i've learned from my experiments on PvP:

1) Players do like to see new things, as long as they are elaborately implemented. Something like EQ reimagined like Shards of Dalaya almost.

2) Players don't like to have balance issues. This includes one team dominating everyone because they are coordinated and use the OP advantage. This is fixed by adding team-based PvP.

3) PVP should give even the most casual players an advantage even if they don't kill someone. Kills should be part of PvP, but there should be some sort of goal for each team to accomplish otherwise it's EQ Deathmatch.

4) PVP should be mixed in with PVE, but you should never have to PVE to PVP. The only case this would be is something like DAOC keep defense, where you gain ranks for capturing keeps, and ranks for successfully holding off a keep.

5) PVP should be limited to one box only/IP restricted with no exemptions. Have a second one and you open up a ton of possibilities for exploitation, even if it is exempt. I swear some of you use MQ2 scripts to imitate your imaginary wives.

6) Players love to kill dragons. However this shouldn't be the primary goal for everyone. There should be a goal you fight over, not work together on. With the forced team pvp, this works wonders, as you no longer have a choice on whether you can attack an NPC, you either beat the opposing faction or give it to them.

7) Enforcing rules is a lost cause. VZTZ is proof of this. Anything that requires human intervention should be accepted and possibly integrated in some way, shape, or form. An example would be to distribute precompiled MQ2 to your players without the macro part of it, and just the plugin part. Allow only certain plugins to be attached.

On the subject of MQ2... either embrace it or detect it. If you think you can permanently stop it, you are wrong. If you think you can detect it and manually ban people who are using it, you have the right idea and execution. If you choose to embrace it, be prepared to distribute it, or let those who don't have it have a disadvantage.

9) Players hate embracing MQ2, but honestly, forcing role/anon on players is probably a better idea, as is disallowing /who all zone. This allows PVP to happen as soon as you enter a zone and doesn't allow escaping. At the same time, it ruins the element of surprise. Honestly, what's better: The chase, or fighting each other? Most players would fight each other, and by enabling MQ2 Maps on both clients you eliminate people not having MQ2 and being ganked by people that do, and people that do not have MQ2 do not have people run as soon as they get close. If they're gonna run, they're gonna run. No amount of MQ2 usage can stop a death, though

10) Don't make too many zones. Players hate finding PVP, especially on smaller servers.

That's my advice for everyone who wants to make a PVP server. I am sure a lot of the PVP vets will disagree with me on the MQ2 part, but I sincerely believe it's a good idea.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:40 PM
Shinrii
Fire Beetle

Well I would start one but I lack the time to provide support for it. The Hardware is no problem. Perhaps I will start a server in the next days when I have time. I also would prefer custom code so the things get more interesting.
Perhaps someone wanna help or has knowledge in Perl + some c++ / c#.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:19 PM
Yak
Fire Beetle

The big problem with PVP is the max levels make it so the lower levels have no chance, by camping them etc. There is no fun in that. Now if you make it so that you need to be with in 5 levels to engage someone in PVP, then you have a fair fight.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:37 PM
Shinrii
Fire Beetle

Aye, my suggestion was max +4 -4 Level to attack, or like on Tallon Zek it was +-8 Levels. Somehting like that. And also pvp starts at lvl 20 so it won't fuck ya up when you get killed at level 1 by RPKS :P

But I will write my thoughts down in the next days, perhaps there are some peeps that are interested in helping.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:21 AM
cuntnugget
Fire Beetle

u wanna know what the real issue with pvp is? its that everyone has their own opinion, are convinced that it is 100% the only possible good way to do things, and usually those opinions suck
Old 12-31-2010, 01:05 PM
Scrooge
Fire Beetle

Secrets' original idea was to host a server with the level cap of 25, to remove that huge gap between lower levels and higher levels. Should have just stuck to your original plan, Secrets, it would've worked out...
Old 01-12-2011, 03:29 AM
WyldeRhoads
Fire Beetle

I really miss Guildwars