Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Development > Archive::Database/World Building

Archive::Database/World Building Archive area for General Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

View Poll Results: Should I make newbie quests?
Yes! Release 1 class at a time 9 60.00%
Yes! Release them ALL at the same time 5 33.33%
Nah, sounds like a dumb idea 1 6.67%
Already being worked on (please reply) 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2003, 06:21 PM
Hardy
Dragon

Default Newbie Quests

Should I create them? I am bored and would like to do something to help out servers, mainly legit servers because they kick ass. For those that don't know about newbie quests: They are in EQLive, you talk to your guildmaster or whatever, and they give you a quest to complete, then you get some newbie armor which ain't that bad at all.

Now if you would like me to create them, do tell. Also how should I release em if you want me to make em? 1 class at a time? Like all the warrior quests (human, dwarf, ogre, etc...) or release them all at the same time? (will take much longer before a release).

If someone is already working on this, tell me that also :P Don't wanna work on something someone already is working on, hehe
Old 02-16-2003, 09:07 PM
Drawde
Dragon

I was thinking about doing these, but I wondered - is it possible to get the item combines to work (to create the material that you combine with a mould/pattern in a forge/loom?) Since these use the "quest" tradeskill, which I don't think works in EQEmu at the minute.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:30 PM
killspree
Dragon

It does infact work, using it fine on 4.2 from the main page.

When entering into tradeskill recipes, the skill id is 75.

Then you need a container flagged as container type 13 I believe.
Old 02-17-2003, 05:19 AM
Hardy
Dragon

Drawde - You want to split up the quests? Either that, or I could work on Epic quests which was also on my list. Thanks for the info killspree. I knew they added in the tradeskill for it, but didn't know what ID it was. And I don't think forges in the emu yet, are they? I didn't see them on some servers. I looked at the newbie quest, all it seems is you combine the quest items in the quest container, then combine again in the forge. Is the forge really needed? It works 100% of the time anyway. So how about just combine in the container, and BOOM, there's your newbie gear.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:38 AM
Drawde
Dragon

There are no ground spawned forges or other tradeskill containers, but you can summon forges and use them just like a sewing kit or other portable "toolkit" item.
There's also a portable item called a Smithing Kit (no idea how you get this in EQLive, I've never seen or heard of it; maybe it's a GM/guide item). I've made this item purchasable from smithing supply merchants in my DB addon.

To Hardy - if you create any of these quests, would I be able to add them to my DB when you release them?
I'm not working on quests at the minute (I'm mainly doing tradeskills and finishing the basic loot tables) so you don't need to worry about someone else doing the same thing.
I was planning on adding the epic quests - however we really need multi item turn-ins for these to work properly.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:52 AM
Hardy
Dragon

I would release the database to the public since they need the tradeskill recipes. Right now I am trying to get my Minilogin server working so I can test the quests as I get them done, I will test them thouroghly (bah, can't spell, lol) to fix anything that seems broke. Just waiting for the patcher to connect because my spells_en.txt file seems to be incorrect and it crashes zone.exe every time I try to enter world. Right now I have the Dwarf Warrior quest complete, except for the recipes.

Going to an interview now, been jobless a while, and if I get the job I will be working over 40 hours a week, so any help would be appreciated. Also going to be helping a new server coming which will really put me down for time.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:13 AM
Hardy
Dragon

Figured i might as well post this question here since I was saying I would release the database with the recipes and stuff. I don't really wanna release the whole entire DB, spawns, items, etc.... I just wanna release the stuff i add to it. So my question is, how do I do that? I know there is a way just to drop a table, I did it with my databases i made oh so many months ago, just forgot how to now.

*edit*
I just thought of something, could I just add the tradeskills to the db.sql that came with 4.2? The one with no spawns/items, etc.. Might be more work to do, unless somone knows how to just drop all the tables except tradeskills
Old 02-17-2003, 11:35 AM
Trumpcard
Demi-God

mysqldump <databasename> <tablename> > outputfilename

That will just dump the table in question.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:19 PM
a_Guest03
Demi-God

*nods* I think it's a great idea! I loved those quests when I first joined EQ...
Old 02-17-2003, 12:23 PM
killspree
Dragon

Hardy about the spells_en.txt problem; make sure your spells go up to at least 3602.
Old 02-17-2003, 04:14 PM
Hardy
Dragon

Sweet, thanks much!

About the spells, I patched them to the current version of EQ. I can log onto others server just fine. When I make my server on public, i get 1017 error. When i make minilogin, zone.exe crashes after i hit enter world from character select. I am getting tired of it, had this error since version 4.0, so finally just went to helping servers. But now I kinda need it up so i can test quests and stuff. I worked on trying to get it working for about 3 hours today and 3 yesterday. I searched forums, did everything, still the same exact errors. No errors in zones, world or minilogin.

*edit* forgot to add, my spells_en file goes up to 3601.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:42 AM
Drawde
Dragon

If anyone else is interested in seeing these quests in EQEmu, I could do with some views on this
question (and Hardy probably could too) - do you think it would be best to just have the armour
created directly by combining the ingredients in the special container, or do you think it should
be done like in EQLive - create the material in the container, then combine it with the mould in a forge/loom
to create the armour? The latter method would be more "realistic" and closer to EQLive, but it would mean a lot more
work in creating the "recipes" for the armour. Wouldn't make things much more difficult, just a lot more typing.
I'd be inclined to go with the former method since it would mean much less typing, and the forge/mould part
of the quest doesn't actually affect the difficulty (being a no-fail combine) but does anyone disagree?
Old 02-19-2003, 02:55 AM
Hardy
Dragon

I agree with ya, would be much easier just to combine in the container, and there's your armor. But it wouldn't matter much to me, any way is fine.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:38 AM
Raahb
Sarnak

Any way you guys do it is fine by me.

Just one request - Don't make all the quests require a group or anything. I like to solo often and have problems finding a group of people to exp/quest with.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:46 AM
Hardy
Dragon

I am going to do the newbie quests the exact way EQLive has them done. Might be less wording since quests seem to cut off. Might need to be lvl 8 or so to do them, but they are soloable. Might actually be easier because stuff drops more on mobs, won't be as rare as eqlive.

*edit* seems, right now, that you guys want me just to release 1 class at a time. First will be warrior quests since I have the dwarf one almost complete. Right now I am still waiting for the patcher so i can get spells_en.txt fixed, still saying it won't connect :(