PDA

View Full Version : ok .. Got tired of mysql

omper
11-17-2003, 03:25 PM
I am currently developing a Microsoft Access DB (yes i know its crap) to Add delete and modify everything in this damm DB.. Just got tired of doing it by hand.. only problem is i cant provide a download link as i dont have anywhere to upload it to.. if you got a spot or can tell me how to post it here then kewl.. if you want it to do something special then let me know.. i can already tell you that it does link directly to the DB that you are using .. not import.. LINK.. so you dont have to do all that export import crap..

anyway.. i like it already and it aint even built.. HAHAHA..

Omper
Michigan jay's God Server

Kgaul
11-17-2003, 04:10 PM
Have you tried the Control Center for MySQL? its found at

www.MySQL.com under CC. its a GUI and makes messing around in the DB childs play....

Kgaul

omper
11-17-2003, 04:17 PM
Yea i tried that but its not real user friendly. No explainations of what does what.. What i am after is for instance..

-------

I want to add a Spawn in freeport. He is a Merchant thats an ogre male. he will sell (this, that, and, the, other) , these are the prices of those objects. He has this many hp.. this lvl..

OK now DB go change all the affected tables and make these entries for me..

-------

Mysql control center, or any other DB editor out there doesnt do that.. so i am going to give it a shot..

Omper

mattmeck
11-17-2003, 04:20 PM
The EQAdmin tool is still out of date but there are plans to make it usable with 5.0, would hate for you to do a lot of work for that to get done first. Maby you could get with whoever is going to work on that?

omper
11-17-2003, 04:42 PM
While this is nice, It does not work atm. However if someone is currently working on it then i guess i would love to hear from them. until then i will continue to work on mine.. even if only i use it, then its worth my while.. (boning up on DB skills).

Thanks very much for pointing that out.. cuz if it is done then i would be a fewl to redo.

Thanks again.

Omper

mattmeck
11-17-2003, 04:57 PM
I think thats Windcatchers? little project 8)

Vaelene
11-18-2003, 01:22 AM
If you are looking for a way to convert Mysql to Access and back again, I found that AccessMyWizard works well. It converts Mysql into an Access database and converts Access back into Mysql. You can choose which tables or all of them. I have ben using it for a while myself since i didnt like any of the other methods for working with Mysql. Here is the link to the web site.

http://www.bigprof.com/mya/index.php

Hope it helps.

omper
11-18-2003, 11:40 AM
thanks vaelene but i am not importing the tables.. just linking them.. so that if i get this the way i want .. then anyone can use

omper

mattmeck
11-18-2003, 11:43 AM
Cant wait to see it working expecialy if its idiot proof :?

Aaburog
11-18-2003, 06:10 PM
Cant wait to see it working expecialy if its idiot proof :?

N-O-T-H-I-N-G is idiot-proof. And you know this, from your newbieslayer addiction...

Moreover, access sure is whiz-bang stuff for knocking out some very useful functionality and/or forms and such, but it's dog-doo for idiot-proofing with all that VB-icky code.

I have to design in it daily. I feel dirty. :x

mamba666
11-19-2003, 07:16 AM
I use MS Access to manipulate the MySQL database. I just create an ODBC connection to the MYSQL database then open up MSAccess.

I then just choose to open up and ODBC connection, load up all of the tables and manage the database that way. There is no importing or exporting, it does it on the fly. You can create your own views etc.

The OLE tables can't really be edited this way like the Item info and such, but just about everything else can.

Trumpcard
11-19-2003, 07:44 AM
Go Microsoftless, use OpenOffice, it's free!

http://www.unixodbc.org/doc/OOoMySQL.pdf

but.... if you're a glutton for punishment, and want to be ridiculed by us super sexy linux gurus....

http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/MySQL/ODBC/page1.html

omper
11-19-2003, 01:13 PM
I am used to Programing in Access as this is the (stupid) DB of choice at my job. However the bright side is that Openoffice can easily open and use MS Access DB. :)

I will be posting Pics of the Account Management and Spawn Mgmt soon..

Note.. Still working on a real good way to handle the BIT factors on Items. But close..

Thanks
Omper

omper
11-19-2003, 01:59 PM
This is for Account mgmt and Char mgmt. This is first attempt.. Please make suggestions comments, and the sort.. flaming is allowed. Cuz i really dont care.. HEHEH

Omper
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-11/497535/CharMgmt1.JPG

mattmeck
11-19-2003, 02:15 PM
Looks good. :P

omper
11-21-2003, 12:43 PM
OK.. Almost done.. ill release the alpha version soon.. I have these working

Mob Placement and Updates
Waypoints add and update
Account mgmt
Char Mgmt

Not working correctly

Item Additions and Updates
Inventory Add/adjust
Zone mod's

Thanks..
Omper

Michigan Jay's God Server

omper
11-23-2003, 02:57 PM
OK.. i have successfully been persuaded to convert to something other then Access..

SO.. I am now Writing this program in C++.. There i said it.. Are ya happy now..

argh!!!!

More to come.. I am a bit rusty.. well alot rusty.. Crap i never really knew the programming to begin with.. hahaha..

Omper

Eglin
11-23-2003, 03:45 PM
OK.. i have successfully been persuaded to convert to something other then Access..

SO.. I am now Writing this program in C++.. There i said it.. Are ya happy now..

argh!!!!

More to come.. I am a bit rusty.. well alot rusty.. Crap i never really knew the programming to begin with.. hahaha..

Omper
Why not just convert your access application to vb? Your forms can be brought over with almost no changes, and your queries can be easily wrapped. Likewise, your macros can be brought over directly with zero modification. Just a suggestion... hate to see you throw away your existing work.

omper
11-24-2003, 02:59 PM
well maybee for the shorthall.. however i would be ridiculed by some of the developers for using the dreaded VB.. HAHAH.. so i will, in the end, convert this with more usefull tools to C++ at some point..

Omper

PS.. It is looking very good now.. got most all working..

Eglin
11-29-2003, 07:23 AM
i would be ridiculed by some of the developers for using the dreaded VB.

I don't care one way or the other, but don't underestimate the dev team. If you create a useful tool, you can expect to be greeted with adoration, not mockery.

Eshry
11-29-2003, 01:55 PM
here is a quote from a dev... regarding a program I suggested, but trashed eventually, mostly because of this statement:

still would be nice if we had a special GUI instead of using normal telnet, but please no VB!

Eglin
11-29-2003, 02:18 PM
here is a quote from a dev... regarding a program I suggested, but trashed eventually, mostly because of this statement:

still would be nice if we had a special GUI instead of using normal telnet, but please no VB!

Suggesting a program to be written in VB is a lot different than providing a program written in VB.

Eshry
11-29-2003, 02:28 PM
Not too terribly much... personally, I like VB, it takes care of the dirty work, so that I can just do the real coding... I was going to work on the program in VB... then that person suggested it be done in a different language, so I decided to scratch it.

Trumpcard
11-29-2003, 02:46 PM
Theres nothing wrong with VB, it can do the job fine in most cases.

Don't let anyone tell you how to program, do it in what feels comfortable and right, there are plenty of tools/languages out there, use the one you feel will do the job...

Usually people that bitch and moan about one language or another do so for one of a few reasons.. 1) Its the only one they know 2) Their friends told them it sucked, so you should use something use 3) They dont want to have to try to support it...

Plenty of tools have been written for eqemu using VB, don't let anyone deter you if thats the language you feel like writing it in. Personally, trying to do something in C++ that could easily handled in VB is a waste of time and effort in my honest opinion. VB is an excellent, rapid prototyping and development language, its abstracts the things away from you that you really shouldnt worry about (ie the windowing componets and event listeners)

Eshry
11-29-2003, 03:22 PM
Thank you, Trumpcard, couldn't have explained it better myself.