PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a new program.

Eshry
11-19-2003, 01:37 PM
Shooting out an *idea* here, would anyone be interested in (it would be open source, EQEC is only closed source at mortamer's request) a remote manager for EQEMU? I could make it so that you can shut down the server, reboot the server, etc. and could make it I.P. specific, etc. to preserve security. What do you think? I don't want to start on it if people would not be interested.

mattmeck
11-19-2003, 01:39 PM
WOuld be a sweet way for other people to reboot lost zones ect when the person who has the server isnt home.....I know we used PCAnywhere but that was laggy as hell when there were people on the server and you were trying to reboot a couple lost zones.

Eshry
11-19-2003, 01:42 PM
Well, first of all, zone servers should now reboot automatically, second, I wouldn't like the idea of letting the 'normal user' be able to reset my server, however, I do like the idea of my program I'm thinking of able to reboot the eqemu server that I have downstairs... (reboot the program, not the cpu)

So as not to double post in such a short amount of time:
Edit: I would, however, attempt to allow you to reboot your lost zones if they happen to crash and not reboot automatically, not sure how well it would work, but I'd sure try!

mangoo
11-19-2003, 02:02 PM
I was working on a program like this awhile ago, but I was working on like 5 other things at the time and it got pushed back. Had different access levels, complete system status and system resource monitoring. Didn't get too far on it, lost interest. But definately a good thing to have. Make it :D .

mattmeck
11-19-2003, 02:06 PM
zone servers should now reboot automatically

hehe key word there should :wink:

wouldn't like the idea of letting the 'normal user' be able to reset my server

Never sayd anything about "normal users" sorry guess I should have sayd us Server OP's who had access. :D

I'm thinking of able to reboot the eqemu server that I have downstairs

Would be sweet for Server OP's ect for doing world building, spawn a zone reboot, make a few items, reboot to see if they work

Edit: I would, however, attempt to allow you to reboot your lost zones if they happen to crash and not reboot automatically, not sure how well it would work, but I'd sure try!!

Hmm maby have it have its own boot 5 zones that only gets used if the "normaly" used ones crash and someone remotly need to add more.

Merth
11-19-2003, 06:02 PM
How about you add these commands to the telnet login? Some of them are already there, though.

arkaria
11-19-2003, 07:47 PM
Or..... You run a linux server where you can just login via SSH and do anything you need :)

Hehe

DeletedUser
11-19-2003, 08:33 PM
still would be nice if we had a special GUI instead of using normal telnet, but please no VB!

Dodger
11-19-2003, 08:37 PM
Would be nice if we could make some macros in this program (i don't know at all how works the Telnet one thought, so stop me if i'm wrong...)

But to can execute a *.cfg on the server, to, say, make the server use a specific spawn config, (switch from "normal" spawn config in a given zone to a "event" spawn / item drop config ), without having to go in zone with client, etc..

And about autoreboot of crashed zones, why not create (i guess i'm going to get a "program it yourself", but that's just an idea huh, i don't really know how long it could take...as i don't know how to program at all...) an "emulated" very light weight client (no GUI at all, just an emulated client in a DOS window) that would connect to zones every specified amount of time, so that he could check if zone is crashed or not, if zoneserver doesn't *know* it ?

Just some thoughts anyway...

Chrysm
11-19-2003, 08:52 PM
that would connect to zones every specified amount of time, so that he could check if zone is crashed or not, if zoneserver doesn't *know* it ?

They would most like have to be static zones. My line of thinking is that world recieves a connection then hands it over to a zone. If the zone is dynamic, world hands it off to a random one or maybe the first one that connects to it heh!

Is this going to be for windows or linux?

For linux, a simple script to check with cron to make sure a certain number of zones are up && || certain zone names. I don't know how you would get the process list from windows.

It's an idea anyways. Maybe my rants will give you some good ideas to solve some problems you think might come up =)

I'd even help if you want.

Chrysm
11-19-2003, 08:56 PM
Also, the world.exe does automatically reboot lost zones but, I don't think it worls in linux when I ran it.

else if (strcasecmp(argv[1], "-holdzones") == 0) {
cout << "Reboot Zones mode ON" << endl;
holdzones = true;
}