PDA

View Full Version : 0.5.1-DR1 CVS Version

cybermax
11-25-2003, 03:19 AM
Is there a point in compiling and fiddling around with this?

I mean.. Up until 0.5.0 was released as finished .exe's, all the other 0.5.0-DRx cvs builds i did, have a nasty habit of crashing zone.exe ALL the time.. Sometimes i can make a new character, and it will start in its hometown oki.. then i #zone to somewhere.. like freeport or similar, and it crashes, and i can never use the character again..
This is also happening now with the CVS download i did today (and yesterday.. and the days before that).

Is it something i do wrong? I mean.. The 0.5.0 RELEASED exe i downloaded works mostly good in different zones.. At least its possible to walkt around, and #zone to different zones.. The combat is not working too good tho.. npc's fighting eachother, and it seems that npc's are mostly zonewide aggro (DB issue perhaps).

I dont know.. is it something i am missing? I am using :
WinXP with .NET 1.1 (Windowsupdate. all patches..++)
Visual Studio 6.0 SP5 (Was the same without any servicepack, but i upgraded to SP5 to check if this was what made the problems ocurr)
MySQL 4.0.7-Gamma for Win32

I follow the "manual" and download updates from CVS all right, start VS C++, and compile as "Release". Compile goes without any errors or warnings.. everything seems very oki.

In short.. Is the CVS code that is "public" not good? And mostly used for tips and adds that people give the devs, and the "working" version is "dev-only"?

EDIT: The DR2 "Snapshot" was linked in another thread while i wrote this.. will give it a try..

Trumpcard
11-25-2003, 03:33 AM
DR means development release.. .Yes, its a test version, its not meant for everyone, just the folks that know what they're doing with it.

As such, it can be in bad shape depending on when it was made available... Its not meant for people who just want to 'play around' , its aimed at people who are going to use it to troubleshoot problems and add to the code...

Its not supported code, heck, it might not work at all, its just a snapshot of changes that are in process in development . That is why we recommend people stick to the binary/stable releases, typically they are tested, these are not...

cybermax
11-25-2003, 04:32 AM
Yes i understand this is dev code, and might be a bit "off the bat" compared to the released version.. Just what i find weird, is that the cvs i compiled before the 0.5.0 release does not seem to work with any zones other than an occational starting zone when making a new character.. Then the 0.5.0 release comes out, and everything is fine and dandy (as far as it can be)..

And now i try cvs, and get the same problems again. Even tried the DR2 snapshot posted in the other thread here, and got excactly the same problem..

World.exe indicates :
Enter world: Mycharname: 192.168.0.14:1148: TCPConnection::SendData(): send(): Errorcode : 10054
Qeynos2 (2)
Removing zoneserver from ip:0.0.0.0 port:0 (dns.tomy.server:7996)

Zone.exe crashes and restarts so fast i cant possibly grab some info on what happens there.

(This is when i start a human character, and it tries to enter the startzone for humans.. in Qeynos.. The "dns.tomy.server" is a fictional dns resolve, but it is correct for the give ip adress indicated. "mycharname" is a fictional character name)

I am using TCS's 3_3 db with the "update.sql" posted.. Same db i use with 0.5.0 release, and from what i can see, it does not seem to be a direct DB error message..

Not out to debate weather the CVS codes are messed up or not.. i am out to try figuring out if its ME that is doing something wrong (The most obvious possibility imo..hehe), and if possible WHAT i am doing wrong :)

Trumpcard
11-25-2003, 04:57 AM
Windows or linux?

If its linux, enable corefiles with ulimit then run gdb on it..

I'm guessing its a database related issue though, it'll be nice to know so we can patch it as its obviously a crash bug...

Make sure your tables are set up correctly, there have been sql changes with recent releases..

cybermax
11-25-2003, 07:00 AM
Windows compile.. (Hence me using Visual Studio 6.0)

Cleaned the database, and set up from scratch using the db files that comes with the archive.. And the "Dumpeditems.sql".

Lo and behold.. I dont instacrash upon zoning anymore.. Guess its something messed up with TCS db when it comes to spawns or sumtin..

Just found it strange that the DB would work with release, but no cvs (even pre 0.5.0).. Weird..

rmm99
11-25-2003, 07:11 AM
The TCS db does in fact work ok with the 5.0 binaries (which it was made for), but does in fact crash the zone and other problems on the later cvs updates (which it isn't made for). If you read the zone screens carefully you see db errors which are probably where table structures have changed in the newer releases.

arkaria
11-25-2003, 07:11 AM
TCS never said his DB works with 5.1 cause it doesn't. It's a 5.0 DB.

Trumpcard
11-25-2003, 07:17 AM
Windows compile.. (Hence me using Visual Studio 6.0)

Yea, you did say that and I looked right over it !

cybermax
11-25-2003, 08:21 PM
Thanx for tips guys :)

Ill try to do some fiddling around, merging some things here and there (as long as the tables are correct, and i do it one step at a time..), and see what i can come up with while i wait for TCS to release a 5.1 DB :)