PDA

View Full Version : Compiling

astonerii
01-06-2004, 05:27 PM
I am not a programmer and have no desire to spend 1000's on a compiler to save 13 a month. I want to make my own server, I use windows xp home edition, what options do I have to get the server side compiled and able to run on my computer?

I have downloaded the MS SDKs and I am told I can compile with it, but looking through some of the postings, people say the free compiler is no good.

Any help would be appriciated.

Muuss
01-06-2004, 08:23 PM
what options do I have to get the server side compiled and able to run on my computer?

Use a binary release, and you won't have to compile it :roll:

astonerii
01-07-2004, 04:57 AM
Release Name: EQEmu 0.5.3DR2-ZP
Notes: This includes the source files for EQEmu 0.5.3DR2 that must be changed to make it compatible with ZoneProxy.

Does anyone have a binary file for this? I think according to the server how to's that have been made I need a set of like 4 or 5 binaries.

Maybe i am completely way off here, i do not know. I have never tried this program before, maybe I am getting the wrong programs. I am Just trying to follow the instructions written.

Thanks in advance for any help.

mattmeck
01-07-2004, 06:40 AM
http://shawn319.eqemulator.net/cvs

has everything you need right there.

astonerii
01-07-2004, 07:16 AM
I am very new at this as I hope you can understand. The binary files come with a readme file that says I have to have perl working on my computer. I found a free version of perl... http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/?_x=1, and i wonder if this would be a good version to use.

Maybe i am naive, but if i have perl working on my computer, does that mean I can compile my own binaries as well?

Thanks again for your help, it is certainly getting me off in the right direction...

mattmeck
01-07-2004, 07:19 AM
Maybe i am naive, but if i have perl working on my computer, does that mean I can compile my own binaries as well?

No, Perl is NOT a compiler.

and i wonder if this would be a good version to use.

check the forums it tells you where to go....the Quest Creation forum I think.

astonerii
01-07-2004, 11:23 AM
Does anyone know if any of the free compilers on places like ZDnet.com will work?

I Plan to use the binaries given, but just so I have the ability to eventualy be more self sufficeint and maybe even constructive here, I think it would be good to learn and know how to do some of the things.