PDA

View Full Version : Client Crashes..

Gangrif
01-07-2004, 02:24 AM
I know, its been discussed before... i think this may be a different problem though.

On my server (undrground) I made myself a rogue, and gave myself some decent equipment, and level 30. Just because i could (thats the point, right? HAVE FUN! and not be held down by "the man" :roll: )

Well, the game is relatively stable, other than some disconnects (which seem to be a 0.5.2 problem?) and a lot of client crashes. Just last night all i did was walk from one end of west freeport tot he other, and i couldnt complete the trek. i tried 4 times, and it crashed at about the same place every time. Maybe related to an NPC i passed.. or something, i wasnt doing anything other than walking.

One of the other things i did for myself, was give my character a mask of deception. When i first summoned the item, i used it, and it worked great. (i love that mask!) But last night, and this morning, whenever i tried to use the mask it gave me a client crash, every time, as soon as i right clicked on the mask, it would crash. before it even started the casting.

I thought it was a graphics thing.. I seem to remember another crash from a few days ago happening right after i saw an NPC cast a spell, and this one with the mask of course did involve casting a spell. Thought it might be a graphics problem. So i grabbed the latest graphics drivers from Nvidia last night. The crashed persisted.

The only odd (or seemingly odd) thing i'm seeing in the server logs is a lot of "Unknown spell formula: #xxx" where the xxx is, theres a 3 digit spell number. But this is happening the whole time anyone is ing the game, not just when i try to use the mask.

If the fix is as simple as "dont use the mask" thats ok, but what about the crashes unrelated to the mask? Is there some log somewhere in the client, or in the server that i may be able to watch for more info? I checked the dbg.txt file in the EQ directory, i cant really make sense of it, but i cant seem to find anything related. Maybe i just dont know what i;m looking for.

I spoke with another player who was playing on my server when i was trying to figure this out, and he said he was not having any issues.

Thanks.

Aquelin
01-07-2004, 02:25 AM
Freeportw is one of the few zones that will crash you randomly at any time at it's whim. Can't remember the full zone list you should be aware of though.

Gangrif
01-07-2004, 02:35 AM
I should add that i wasnt in freeport when i was troubleshooting the mask problem.

In east commons.

also, the other crash, that i mentioned seemd to happen when someone casted a spell. was in qeynos hills.

Gangrif
01-07-2004, 08:01 AM
ohh.. i forgot to add.. (this might get me more replies)

WAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!

farce
01-07-2004, 08:59 AM
want some cheese to go with that whine? =P

Gangrif
01-07-2004, 09:49 AM
Yes, i like american cheese, send me some. ;)