PDA

View Full Version : Poll: What are YOU doing with OpenZone?

Windcatcher
01-09-2004, 07:24 PM
After all the work I put into OpenZone and ZoneProxy, I'm dying to know if the effort's been worth it. So...are these getting any use or are they doomed to gather dust on the EQEmu shelf?

Kroeg
01-09-2004, 08:48 PM
openzone has spawned the possibility now for me to continue work on my custom server. "the infernal den" is actually supposed to be a place that the entire server is based on, and now it's possible to build it. you've done awesome work windcatcher.

Djani
01-09-2004, 09:11 PM
I have a couple friends that are amazing programmers and artists. They looked into seeing how they could make a Lord of the Rings server with EQEMU, and they were unable to do it without doing major changes to all the art work etc.

It is now possible for them to make it Windcatcher, you have done a fantastic job :D

Shadow-Wolf
01-10-2004, 04:42 AM
for now im still playing with it but whats a get used to a few thing i will be making a whole town if i can....

mew972
01-10-2004, 07:49 AM
I am trying to figure out how to get my server (lan) to work with openzone/ zone proxy.. i read the readme's but i still don't understand it

Kroeg
01-21-2004, 05:16 AM
I noticed that this is actually a common problem. I'd even be willing to say that most people that have tried to use zoneproxy weren't successful (unless they just don't voice it on the forum).

I've asked several various worldbuilders, devs, and regular users about zoneproxy / openzone. Openzone is very easy to use, and from what I can tell several people have used it. Zoneproxy is only usable if you modify the eqemu code via the "Zoneproxy friendly code changes to 5.3 dr2". Now, I've tried multiple times with multiple builds of 5.3 dr2 (there are many) to merge this code into eqemu (via finding the //ZONEPROXY BEGIN //ZONEPROXY END comment fields, and pulling values over one line at a time) to no avail.

I've had a few developers take the "ZP friendly code" and a build of EQEmu 5.3 DR2, and they weren't even able to merge the two together. As this program is an amazing effort (thx again WC), it just isn't accessible as by average the public isn't full of C++ coders. The only way Zoneproxy would be a full-on success would be to release binaries proven to work with the program. Otherwise, all the hard work on Openzone will be for not .. and you'll have very little public feedback (on things like bugs, features, zones hosting, texture sets, etc).

As someone that's just waiting for the day to actually be able to zone into third party zones (that i've spent 100s of hours on), I had to speak up a little.. .I notice a lot of people (not just myself) are still having trouble getting zoneproxy to work (yes it's a simple idea, but when the code isn't working there's not much we can do with it).

:)

farce
01-21-2004, 07:35 AM
I built and compiled zoneproxy friendly eqemu code and couldnt get it to work either...

we definitely need it merged into the mainstream tree (which i think is being done)

Windcatcher
01-21-2004, 09:35 AM
I've been pointed to a more current version of 0.5.3DR2 and I will TRY to put up a working ZP-friendly version towards the end of this week or this weekend (depending on how much effort it takes). However, I just found out that a bunch of us are being laid off and so my first priority is working on my resume (don't worry, I have zero debt, negligible expenses, and a ton of savings so I'll be okay). Once I have the resume taken care of I'll start working on EQEmu-ZP.

WC

smogo
01-21-2004, 10:05 AM
didn't try much to work OpenZone around, though IMHO having it work is a true issue.

I'm dying to know if the effort's been worth it
Yes they are !

Kroeg
01-21-2004, 10:54 AM
Yep, the resume is the most important thing especially after a lay-off. Best of luck to you WC, can't wait to see your activity back on the forum :)

a_Guest03
01-21-2004, 06:41 PM
WC, if I had a working computer, I'd be making zones right now!

I think this 3rd party tool is part of a more important issue, which is CREATING content, and not just copying it. You hit the nail on the head with the program, and when it gets easier to use, you will find that it's at the heart of where eqemu is trying to go.