PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Mangoo (Item Editor)

Shawn319
03-13-2004, 12:35 PM
The item editor needs to be updated hehe.. i cant add any new items to my DB...

1 think i know that needs to be fixed is you need to query the db by column name, not by the order they are... it appears you're doing SELECT * from items.

This causes problems if the column's are different from your knowledge.

mangoo
03-15-2004, 06:20 PM
Working on a rebuild (which will be 2.0) will release a quick fix as 1.9 for ya, really busy though so sit tight.

daeken_bb
03-16-2004, 04:57 AM
I don't know if you do this (haven't looked for your source or anything), but Shawn319 mentioning SELECT * reminded me to mention this.

SELECT * requires your RDBMS to make two lookups to the table and can triple the load on the server and the time it takes to execute the query. In addition to that, it often brings back columns you simply don't need.

Happy Hacking,
Lord Daeken M. BlackBlade
(Cody Brocious)

mangoo
03-16-2004, 07:13 AM
I had no idea that was the case, just thought you grabbed all the columns. Thanks for the great info guys. In 1.9 it'll have to stay that way, sorry, no point in changing half the source code of it with 2.0 on the way. But definately will use this in 2.0, this is awesome info. I started 2.0 from scratch because it needs it, hoping to get rid of unneeded code and make the code faster. Hoping to get Kaiyodo's Model Viewer worked into it too finally, wasn't able to accomplish that in 1.x :D . Look for 1.9 next couple days.