PDA

View Full Version : 3DSMax - OpenZone import 3ds bug

KhaN
04-10-2004, 03:13 AM
I dont know if some of you are using Openzone, but i have a problem importing 3DS zone mesh to OpenZone from 3DSMax. Mesh structure is not respected (A few poly are not attached).

I dont think the problem is from 3DSMax 3DS export module, because i can import my 3DS mesh to AC and the 3DS mesh is respected. Someone has already imported 3DS zone mesh into OpenZone, if yes, which software you used ?!

I know ... gnagnagna ... OpenZone not supported, i just want to know if the problem is with Max :P

Shadow-Wolf
04-10-2004, 05:56 AM
yes the importer for openzone is pretty buggy, since wind cannot find any examples he really cant do anything about it. first of all is your mesh in many groups like Mesh 1,Mesh 2, Box 1, torus 1?if so you need to make them all one mesh and re-export it.

Lm2004
05-29-2004, 12:57 PM
How u do that?

KhaN
05-29-2004, 02:01 PM
i got Max in french, i dont know what is the word in english, but see at group tab, "attach".
Or you can try boolean to fusion the poly.

shaminator
06-23-2004, 01:31 AM
Has anyone actually succeed in importing a 3DS with a mapped texture on it ? It imports geometry quite right but i couldn't get the texture to work.
I know it indeed loads the texture (it crashes when loading a 16bit instead of 24 bmp for instance) but then it just displays a transparent (well, it has the background color) mesh. When the texture is missing, it's all white. Same when exporting to s3d, all white.
I know the UV mapping is right, because it works when importing back to 3dsmax, but maybe openzone has a different way to import mapping.
Can you provide any help with this, Windcatcher?

KhaN
06-23-2004, 02:30 AM
/auction WTB 30min of speak with Windcatcher.

More seriously, we are actually making test to import our own custom weapons model in EQ, and one of our problem is we cant seem to apply a texture to a 3DS Object.
Im remaking a lot of textures for my server EQA, i have no problem at all with them, but we cant aply a new texture to a model using openzone, i know EQ texture format is weirdo ...

We made test and we can load a modified gequip.s3d without having crashing, our model is viewed under EQModel viewer, main problem is atm applying the texture.

If Mongrel read this too, i would be happy to speak with you about this, it seem you are making a model viewer and are doing some nice things with it.

Windcatcher
06-23-2004, 09:34 AM
I haven't looked at the .3DS import code in a while, but you should make sure that the texture is a 24bpp .BMP and that it's exactly 256x256 pixels. Also, you might want to take a look at your .3DS file to make sure that the textures it references don't include full paths.

WC

shaminator
06-25-2004, 12:00 AM
Thanks it works now, you're right, it was the texture's fault. Weird fix : even tho we had 24bit bmp's in 256*256 (and exactly the same file size than the textures provided with the tool) it wouldn't work, so I opened one of your texture with paint and pasted the pixels from ours, then saved under another name and it worked.

Shadow-Wolf
06-25-2004, 07:15 AM
Hey khan mind posting a few pics for me so i can see what you did? im kinda good at modeling and I am interested in getting some weapons in eq. I used to have this REALLLY SWEEEAAAAAAAT looking sword but i lost it in a crash though =/. I was thinking of trying to remake it but ive had no reason to and adding it to eq would be nice.

Shadow-Wolf
06-25-2004, 07:18 AM
Also I noticed a bug for people that use milkshape to export 3ds, for soem strange reason when it exports to 3ds the file gets wrong and instead of the model being your texture it will be your material(material.o) so if you texture was in material1 you would ened to rename it to material.o(dont change the format to .o though it will still worth if its a bmp named that).

KhaN
06-25-2004, 08:19 AM
Actually, we loaded a nice freaking white cube, not really nice looking, only viewable with model viewer because it seem EQ threat white texture as transparent.
we will post sreenshot when this will be fully working, i dont want post screenshot of half done job~
We actually leaved model edition for zone creation~ and we will post screenshot about this soon ;p

Shadow-Wolf
06-25-2004, 07:24 PM
Hmm well if you need any models to test with I am working on a few swords. I will try my best to texture them.

Shadow-Wolf
06-26-2004, 02:55 AM
Ok I got a nice weapon you could try it looks like it could be hand to hand, wanted to show to to some other people on psionics(to see if they liked it), forums so I might as well kill two birds with one stone!

to look at my model go to this link:
http://www.psionic3d.co.uk/forums//index.php?showtopic=870&st=0&#entry12490
If you wanna test using my mesh tell me and ill send you the files for it.

One more thing, how did you do it khan? did you use creat a scene in openzone with the box, and then exported the s3d and name it a gequip file and edit it using eqinside to be like one of the gequip files? or did you find someway to add the mesh to one of the gequip files? PLEEEASSSE I MUST KNOW!!.