PDA

View Full Version : Need some help getting 5.3 working

Raddiux
07-27-2004, 12:22 PM
I'm trying to get a 0.5.3dr2 server running. Before you ask, we will be running an EQClassic server and want to avoid all the problems/bugs introduced with the DX9 patches, so thats why we're using 5.3.

Everything seems to be fine with the database files. But I can't get the login server to recognize me when I run world.exe. I get the following error.

Connected to LoginServer: eqlogin1.eqemulator.net:5997
Login server responded with FatalError. Disabling reconnect.
Error message: 'Incorrect version'
207.36.180.194:5997: TCPConnection::RecvData(): Error: 10053

I remember reading someone that the new eqemu login server only works with 5.6 and above. I was hoping to use the WR login server which also runs 5.3. Looking into their loginserver i found the address 'lethalencounter.eqemulator.net' but that also gives me an invalid version error. How can I go about getting this up and running?

Thanks.

Raddiux
07-29-2004, 02:43 AM
Anyone have any advice, please? I'd really like to get this server up and running asap. Thanks.

Raddiux
07-30-2004, 02:30 AM
Ok, thanks to Monalin I was able to get past that problem. But now there is another :(

Both world.exe and zone.exe start up fine. I'm able to log into the server and create a character just fine. But when I try to enter the world, I get booted back to the server select screen. Zone.exe starts up the required zone just fine. There are no errors reported on either world or zone.exe, they simply state that i've disconnected. I'm sure i'm using the right client/server versions, so what else can be to blame? A database issue? I'm using an older 053 database that was released for this version of eqemu, so it should be working. Any ideas?

Draupner
07-30-2004, 02:33 AM
are you using a client compatable with 5.3dr2?

Raddiux
07-30-2004, 02:44 AM
I'm using the WR client which is the 12/18/03 EQlive patch. 5.3DR2 was the eqemu version made to run with it. DR1 would be too old, and DR3 is for some patch in January. It should be working, but i'm not sure why it isn't.

Draupner
07-30-2004, 03:46 AM
why are you running such an old client btw, why don't you just use 5.7dr6?

Raddiux
07-30-2004, 03:55 AM
Cause the server is an EQclassic server, and we are trying to get the server to resemble EQ circa 1999 as close as possible. That means we want to have the old sky instead of the new bastardized sky introduced with the DX9 patches. We also want to avoid all the new collision and npc warping problems introduced in the newer clients.
5.3 is the oldest client/server that I could find which is Pre-DX9, so i'd really like to get this running.

If we could somehow get the old sky to render in the newest clients, I would then switch over to a newer client. But AFAIK, its impossible.

UPDATE:

Though world and zone.exe don't give any errors, I was able to find something in the dbg.txt that EQ spits out. This seems to be what happens when I get dumped back to the login screen:

Sent reqest to zone for EQPlayer.
Disconnect in ProcessMBox. fin = 0, connected = 0. Msg size = 0 c=7f3a2d0 gworld=7f3a2d0
Character name is .

disconnected at c:\EverQuest\Live_Working_Set\Patch_12_18_03\Everq uest\Everquest.cpp:17817 (GetZoneInfo) g_world is NULL
Character is .
nError is TRUE at C:\EverQuest\Live_Working_Set\Patch_12_18_03\Everq uest\EverQuest.cpp:20816

ProcessGame. Exiting normally.

Cisyouc
07-30-2004, 10:17 AM
Correct me if Im wrong... EQ didn't use DX8 in '98.

Raddiux
07-31-2004, 04:11 AM
Umm, EQ wasn't even OUT yet in 1998. I'm not sure what you're trying to say though.

Anyone have any ideas about that error message?

bbum
08-04-2004, 04:23 PM
he means it didnt use dx8 in 1999

alot of stuff was different before the luclin engine, like the plane clipping is the biggest diff i think.. if you install an old school eq install and use the tutorial.exe thing to walk around the zones you can see the diff. theres tons of less lag in the zones that lag now

hypershadow66
08-05-2004, 04:00 AM
Why did they go to DX9 if it would just lagg their servers?

Melwin
08-05-2004, 04:43 AM
Why did they go to DX9 if it would just lagg their servers?

SOE is notorious for making retarded decisions very consistently.

Raddiux
08-05-2004, 10:31 AM
Well, I finally got 5.3 working. Now to figure out how to update the code so I can use the new-style databases (2 grid system?).

Charmy
08-05-2004, 10:53 AM
You asking for trouble if you want to use an old client with the new databases, unless you happen to be very very good at C++ or soemone on your staff is, Wiz has coded WR to be completely customized, database and all i am sure. If you look around you might be able to find out who made the updates to the databases, and find the code fixes they added so the code would work for it. but i can tell you if your going to use such an old version of the client you would be better off customizing the code yourself to work with the database, you have to realize too, that the PEQ databases are up to date with GoD, if your making an eqclassic server you aren't going to want the mob updates that were made, alot of old world mobs were changed/removed as the game evolved, different stats were changed based on new spell releases, etc.. so from the way it sounds you want to make a true blue eq classic server, in which you are going to need to revert all these changes made to mobs back to their original values, or close enough so that the old world spells/weapons become as effective as they were 5 years ago.

You also could go through the most recent code releases, and pick out one by one the things you need to operate with the current databases and fix it that way. it all depends if you know C++ well or not.

Depending on how much time your willing to put into this you could just go and repop all the zones one by one, most people who make an eqclassic server know the zones pretty well, and i am sure you could pop the zones one mob at a time, but this takes alot of time. so it just depends on what you want to do.

And of course the level of "Classic" you are trying to reach for.

Raddiux
08-05-2004, 11:01 AM
Well, we'd like to go as "classic" as possible. I logged on the Project EQ server and i'm very pleased with the progress. Its probably the closest database that i've seen to EQlive, and i'd really like to use it. They even have old world CT and Grobb, which is very important to us. But they use the new system, so i'd like to find a way, if possible, to use that database when its released.

I know its a huge headache using this old version. I probably wouldn't mind using the newest client if only I could find a way to get the old sky to load. That new bastardized sky is aweful (and buggy).

bbum
08-05-2004, 03:29 PM
Q: why start a new eq classic server?

Charmy
08-05-2004, 03:42 PM
Well, we'd like to go as "classic" as possible. I logged on the Project EQ server and i'm very pleased with the progress. Its probably the closest database that i've seen to EQlive, and i'd really like to use it. They even have old world CT and Grobb, which is very important to us. But they use the new system, so i'd like to find a way, if possible, to use that database when its released.

The PEQ database has alot of updates that the 5.3 code didn't originally use. such thigns that were recently added was mob AC ratings, you will find the 5.3 code doesn't have anyway to read this.

You would need to code alot of changes to make this database work with the code.

Q: why start a new eq classic server?

And the answer is??? oh oh i get it thats clever bbum, see becuase your signature answers it.. wow you are a smart one.. well you see he probably wants to make a classic server becuase when you click on the link in your sig you get sent to a page that has a single work "forums" and when you click that you read that the server doesn't have a host until virus returns, and not much else is posted. perhaps he wanted to make an active server so they could get away from your smart ass comments bbum? a thought perhaps?

Radd is the sky the only thing you want to use the code for? or was there somthing else changed? most of the collision errors aren't very bad in the most recent code, infact i haven't noticed any execpt in some odd stairs... hmm well anyway.

Raddiux
08-05-2004, 05:02 PM
Uhh, Bbum, i'm part of the CoE team... hello?! I'm trying to get the server running properly for US.

Anyway, yeah there are a few reasons i'd like to avoid using the latest client. I want to avoid a lot of issues that came up with the DX9 patches including horrible collision detection (I get stuck in a lot of things, and half the time my character can't jump out of a pool of water), odd NPC warping that never existed before (easily identified by NPC's constantly dropping from the sky when you turn to look at them), and yes, the sky which is bugged with both indoor and outdoor fogging, and on top of that just look out of place and ugly.

These might seem minor to you, but i'd *really* like to get the old sky back as it completly defines the "classic" era. I know its silly but... i'm anal that way.

bbum
08-05-2004, 05:28 PM
wtf charmy lol wtf it was just a question my sig doesnt answer anything i was asking raddiux.. theres no point in having two classic servers in development..