PDA

View Full Version : making a classic eq server

runn3r12
08-04-2004, 08:21 AM
hey i have made many 5.7dr6 servers..now i wanna take a couple steps down and make a server like winters roar..can someone give me some info..like where to get the 4.3 dr 2 or whatever it is..and the database...i would be forever in your dept..and for all of you ppl who will say use search...!!! i did search and if all ppl did was search..there would be no solutions to new questions

sotonin
08-04-2004, 08:34 AM
You aren't going to be given Winter's Roar's database.

=)

Cisyouc
08-04-2004, 09:40 AM
I dont want to be in your "dept".

Charmy
08-04-2004, 02:09 PM
WR code and database is custom, and wiz isn't about to release it, if you are looking for the 5.3 code you will have to find someone who keeps old souce, there is no offical eqemu cvs for this old code anymore, your best bet is to just use the most recent code and work with it.

gottasummer
08-07-2004, 02:26 AM
or to go onto the download area I see that they do happen to have stuff... I wanna make a eq classic server, but bad thing is that I will probably host it on my laptop, for part time and stuff... then switch it over to desktop later (Comcast high speed connection, on 24/7, running apache and Ragnarok Online servers etc)

sotonin
08-07-2004, 04:15 AM
sadly not many people would play on a server hosted on a laptop. Most importantly one thats not stable. They may stop in to check it out for a few hours but people want some guarantee you'll be around tomorrow if they are going to invest some time on your server.

gottasummer
08-07-2004, 05:03 AM
sadly not many people would play on a server hosted on a laptop. Most importantly one thats not stable. They may stop in to check it out for a few hours but people want some guarantee you'll be around tomorrow if they are going to invest some time on your server.

I know, I am testing on my laptop, then I am gonna put it onto my server (what i am typing on now)

I am trying to fix my databases.. server is in an odd location so its kinda hard to setup, I just put on realvnc and everything and im going to commit alot to it.

Winters Roar seems stable, what version of eqemu do they run? 4.x? they require an olllld client version.

Charmy
08-07-2004, 06:49 AM
WR is on 5.3, if your going to go and ask for a copy of it you should read a few other posts about it people wanting it before you do.

Most importantly you have to understand that WR is ALOT of custom code any copy of 5.3 you get although stable will be full of things you need to fix, and change to work with the newer databases. and as posted earlier i doubt wiz is goign to give your his custom database.

gottasummer
08-07-2004, 07:20 AM
Oh, so the big deal about WR is the custom databases? Interesting...

bbum
08-07-2004, 08:20 AM
theres no way for wiz to contribute all the fix's he made for 5.3 without giving out his wr specific things? lame =/

Charmy
08-07-2004, 03:55 PM
theres no way for wiz to contribute all the fix's he made for 5.3 without giving out his wr specific things? lame =/

bbum i have yet to see you make a SINGLE good contribution to these boards. and that is just you, 30% of the people registered on this board haven't helped a single person, all they have done is bitch like you do, or beg for someone to do the work for them. why on earth would wiz ever want to contribute all the hard work he has done just so someone like you, who is attempting to use the same source as he is, can have the ability to host a server as good as his?.

I know you don't understand the world out side of 5th grade yet, but just so you know, you have to give to get.

so no its not lame, its his way showing you exactly what you have given him. absolutly nothing. And trust me if you do a search wiz has contributed plenty of code fixes.

So before you go make another one sentence post, make sure it has somthing decent to contribute to the topic other than just..

God that idea sucks...
How lame...
Thats Gay...

MMkay?

its not really the database anyone can make a database custom, its the code they use, the changes on the server that are smooth as opposed to other servers where you might find bugs that cause zone/client crashes. Whatever 5.3 code you get you can always merge the newest fixes, features, etc.. from the lastest cvs, but not in a way that will damage the client > server communication, becuase this is more or less what defines the version of eqgame it is compaitible with. You just need to be able to pick out the bug fixes, <<No i wouldn't be able to do this, even if my life depened on it, But i am not a C++ guru.)

bbum
08-07-2004, 04:11 PM
its still lame :( lol

bbum i have yet to see you make a SINGLE good contribution to these boards.

wth u want from me.. i have nothing to contribute.. i didnt know i had to be a dev to give my opinion

when i made that post i thought i heard wiz couldnt contribute his 5.3 fix's because there part of wr code and wont work or something.. but you make it sound like wiz has fix's he could give, but doesnt want to.

what does wiz want from us? moneys?? we cant do shit to help him =(

sotonin
08-07-2004, 04:43 PM

no it has nothing to do with the database. (although WR does have a custom DB)

its the custom CODE that they've done. supposedly WR is very stable and uses very little EQEMU stock code. they've done a big redesign on it

jimbox114
08-08-2004, 05:33 AM
Why does so many people want to make a EQ Classic Server? I mean we got the grand creation right now that is very stable, supports several open zones at the same time, and works very well. I would think if another classic server was made it would not be played much since most classic eq fans are probably going to go to the grand creation. Just a thought?

Cisyouc
08-08-2004, 06:40 AM
Why does so many people want to make a EQ Classic Server? I mean we got the grand creation right now that is very stable, supports several open zones at the same time, and works very well. I would think if another classic server was made it would not be played much since most classic eq fans are probably going to go to the grand creation. Just a thought?Do a search for (or check the pig pen i think) for the posts "The Dream of Classic EQ and why it can't work" and "The Dream of Classic EQ and why it CAN work".

There are long posts about this already.

sotonin
08-08-2004, 09:34 AM
Grand Creation will not be classic for much longer. In fact since the collector is fixed ive been collecting like a mad man and kunark is just around the corner.

holy crap my title is gone ^^ and i have asses

Widdles
08-09-2004, 03:14 AM
not to mention WR is a lot of code to work with if it's your first server, id recommend using a base server and slowly adding stuff yourself to learn.