PDA

View Full Version : Server on Junk Hardware

sianyde
08-10-2004, 10:25 AM
I have this collection of old junk around the house on which I'd like to try to run world and zone. Question: if this machine is running the db, world, and 5 zones, with an amd k6-2 400 mHz cpu and 150 MB of ram, should the cpu usage be spiking up to 100%?

Also, I've seen zone use 20 mb of memory under xp. Is this normal behavior? Will zone hog resources like this under linux?

gottasummer
08-10-2004, 11:38 AM
I have this collection of old junk around the house on which I'd like to try to run world and zone. Question: if this machine is running the db, world, and 5 zones, with an amd k6-2 400 mHz cpu and 150 MB of ram, should the cpu usage be spiking up to 100%?

Also, I've seen zone use 20 mb of memory under xp. Is this normal behavior? Will zone hog resources like this under linux?

Um.. what ver of Windows? It needs at least NT I believe.. I recommend 2k for a server.

400 MHZ should run NT or 2k but very very slowly, I got it to run XP before, 150MB ram might work... again I setup a server for web and FTP and stuff using a 300MHZ and 64MB ram.

Um... it should work but still, it will be slow... very slow.

There are sites like www.tigerdirect.com you can go to to buy cheap hardware, the RAM shouldnt be too big a problem but the processor is a major flunk.

sotonin
08-10-2004, 12:08 PM
that pc wont be able to run a very stable eqemu server. youll hit 100% cpu pretty much if anybody is on it at all

sianyde
08-10-2004, 01:50 PM
that pc wont be able to run a very stable eqemu server. youll hit 100% cpu pretty much if anybody is on it at all

It runs fine till a new zone tries to start =p

I'm running better with the server and 4 boxes on my desktop, 2 boxes on my laptap, and mysql server on the heap of junk.

sianyde
08-10-2004, 01:53 PM

Um.. what ver of Windows? It needs at least NT I believe.. I recommend 2k for a server.The junk is running 2k.

400 MHZ should run NT or 2k but very very slowly, I got it to run XP before, 150MB ram might work... again I setup a server for web and FTP and stuff using a 300MHZ and 64MB ram.Actually, I was surprised. It runs decently... until zone tries to load =p

There are sites like www.tigerdirect.com you can go to to buy cheap hardware, the RAM shouldnt be too big a problem but the processor is a major flunk.I ended up finding a use for it... see my reply to Sotonin.

gottasummer
08-11-2004, 05:11 AM
um... yeah, you arent gonna be that stable by doing that.

jimbox114
08-11-2004, 05:12 AM
I have been kinda wondering what the absolute minimum PC will be required to run a server. I was planning on building a pc with a 1.3 atholon XP about 512megs ram and a small hard drive. I had 5 people on last night (well 6 includeing me). I noticed even with me playing eq on the same PC running the emu it ran ok. Only real problem I noticed is when a person zoned I would slow way down. I imagine running Everquest was taking up alot more resources then the emu itself.

sotonin
08-11-2004, 05:18 AM
id recommend at least 768 ram. 1gig preferred.

Raddiux
08-11-2004, 05:43 AM
I would think 400mhz is more than enough to get a few people running ok, so long as you aren't running EQ from the same computer. On my 3.2ghz PC, i've had max 8 people connected at the same time running 5 different zones, and CPU usage is still at 0%

sotonin
08-11-2004, 05:50 AM
well. our first server was a 1gig pentium 3. with 256 ram.

and eqemu ripped it a new asshole. it died on us, we cooked it's hardware ) it was constantly 100% cpu or close and the ram was always all used up

had maybe 10 zones running on it.

sianyde
08-11-2004, 09:48 AM
um... yeah, you arent gonna be that stable by doing that.

By splitting hte load like I described above? Yeah, I"m stable with that.... I played for 2 hrs like that last nite. DB on the junk; 4 box, world, and 3 zones on the desktop; and 2 box on the laptop.

sianyde
08-11-2004, 09:50 AM
I would think 400mhz is more than enough to get a few people running ok, so long as you aren't running EQ from the same computer. On my 3.2ghz PC, i've had max 8 people connected at the same time running 5 different zones, and CPU usage is still at 0%

400 mHz may be OK with the right amount of memory. I can say that 150 MB is NOT enough for a db server, world server, and 5 zone servers. CPU usage sustains 80% on that configuration when a new zone loads, even if the 400 mHz machine is only running the db server.