PDA

View Full Version : geting mysql to work

manglervirus
08-22-2004, 05:05 AM
ok i have been fitling with this for to days trying to get mysql to work heres my problem i go and type in

grant all privileges on *.* to Mangler@localhost identified by 'im not showing you my pasword' with grant option;

and it keeps saying

acses denied for user 'localhost' 'using pasword: no'

i ran the coamand cd\mysql\bin
mysql -u root mysql in dos comand and then i ran mysql and thats where ther error message pops up after i type the unlock comannd. im using mysql 4.0.14 or somthing like that please help

Cisyouc
08-22-2004, 06:48 AM
use mysql -u Mangler -p databasename It will prompt you for your password and then you will have access.

manglervirus
08-22-2004, 09:18 AM
now its giving me this error

mysql> mysql -u m -p databasename;
ERROR 1046: you have an error in your sql syntax 'mysql -u M -p databasename' at line one

plesae help oh and m is my real name not mangler i changed it to see if that would help

hypershadow66
08-22-2004, 09:35 AM
You did change "database name" to EQ ( or whatever your Servers DB is called) right?

smogo
08-22-2004, 09:47 AM
mysql> mysql -u m -p databasename;
ERROR 1046: you have an error in your sql syntax 'mysql -u M -p databasename' at line one

C'mon, let's face it, you made it to mysql at this point. Logging once is enough.

manglervirus
08-22-2004, 10:18 AM
how do i know the database name cuse i cant make a database through mysql so what are you talking about

Darkwaters
08-22-2004, 10:27 AM
holy cow

Start-->Run-->CMD or Command [opens command prompt]
mysql -u root mysql
create database eq;
grant all privileges on * to mangler@localhost identified by 'im not showing you my pasword' with grant option; (*note make username lower case plz some issues arising on latest and greatest MySQL in regards to this.)
use eq;
source dbfilenamehere.sql;
quit
exit [exit cmd prompt]

Bam done. Where's the problem???
Darkwaters

Darkwaters
08-22-2004, 10:29 AM
ps make the username min 4-6 characters long MINIMUM.
Darkwaters

manglervirus
08-22-2004, 11:40 AM
i ran dos command and typed in

mysql -u root mysql and i tried it with my username in place of root and this is what it said

c:/ documents and setings\owner>mysql -u root 'mysql' is not reconized as internal comand or external comand,
operable program or batch file.

Cisyouc
08-22-2004, 12:21 PM
i ran dos command and typed in

mysql -u root mysql and i tried it with my username in place of root and this is what it said

c:/ documents and setings\owner>mysql -u root 'mysql' is not reconized as internal comand or external comand,
operable program or batch file.dude okay mysql.exe is not in C:/Documents and Settings/Owner and obviously you dont have mysql/bin set to PATH, i would've thought it would obvious to cd to bin.

-edit-
And you were supposed to do mysql -u user -p dbnameNOT mysql -u user

Replace:
user: With your MySQL Username
dbname: With your EQEMu Database Name

(Sorry im a little ticked at something else right now too)

manglervirus
08-22-2004, 01:47 PM
i got it working and i didnot see the last post