PDA

View Full Version : buffer underrun errors?

jimbox114
08-23-2004, 04:57 PM
Lately I have been getting alot of Buffer Underrun errors from zone.exe. And the problem is when I get these it locks up the whole server so that nobody can get in. They are easy enough to fix, just have to click the zone and let it reboot. However I obviously can't sit 24/7 in front of the PC and close that window every time this happens.

Does anybody know what might be causeing this? I can understand this happening if I am actually using the PC, but anymore it happens when my pc is not being used. I don't have any screen savers, and all my power settings are set to never shut down. I do not have any 3rd party programs running (other then winmysql obviously). I only keep 8 zones open at a time right now. I got a 1.7 gigahertz processor and 768megs of ram on this pc, surely 8 zones isn't too much? At one point I was running 11 zones without problems, however after getting these errrors I have went down to useing 8 zones instead. The only error I get is a window that says I had a buffer underrun error and that it needs to be shut down.

Cisyouc
08-24-2004, 12:33 AM
Lately I have been getting alot of Buffer Underrun errors from zone.exe. And the problem is when I get these it locks up the whole server so that nobody can get in. They are easy enough to fix, just have to click the zone and let it reboot. However I obviously can't sit 24/7 in front of the PC and close that window every time this happens.

Does anybody know what might be causeing this? I can understand this happening if I am actually using the PC, but anymore it happens when my pc is not being used. I don't have any screen savers, and all my power settings are set to never shut down. I do not have any 3rd party programs running (other then winmysql obviously). I only keep 8 zones open at a time right now. I got a 1.7 gigahertz processor and 768megs of ram on this pc, surely 8 zones isn't too much? At one point I was running 11 zones without problems, however after getting these errrors I have went down to useing 8 zones instead. The only error I get is a window that says I had a buffer underrun error and that it needs to be shut down.Sounds like a quest error. I used to have a buffer overrun when I had a hugo quest result like: sub EVENT_SAY
{
if($text=~/hail/i)
{
quest::say("Hi. This is the endless story and yada yada yada blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah");
quest::exp(5000);
quest::addldonpts(5,10);
quest::me(" yada yada blah blah yada yada blah blah yada yada blah blah yada yada blah blah yada yada blah blah yada yada blah blah yada yada blah blah yada yada blah blah yada yada blah blah yada yada blah blah yada yada blah blah yada yada blah blah yada yada blah blah yada yada blah blah");
quest::scribespells(65);
}
}
lol.

jimbox114
08-24-2004, 03:32 AM
Hmm I do have some pretty long quests, so maybe if I cut them down some?

RangerDown
08-24-2004, 03:37 AM
For a start, limit what the npc says to 100 characters or less. If he needs to say something longer than that, break it up into two separate say's. See if that fixes it.

jimbox114
08-25-2004, 03:02 AM
I went through and decreased the size of any long quest statements hopeing it would help. However I just woke up this morning to find a near empty server and yet another error. This time it happened in zone 112 which is velketors. I have not even modified this zone, so obviously there isn't even a quest in it. Here is the window if it helps:

http://www.netacs.net/~jimbox114/buffer.jpg

Cisyouc
08-25-2004, 03:14 AM
rename the quest folder to like.. xquestsx or something thus making them useless and see if the zones run. This will tell you if its a quest thats causing it.

(Also, thats a buffer overrun, like I had, not underrun :D)