PDA

View Full Version : possible server pc, will this work?

jimbox114
08-29-2004, 06:07 AM
I had ordered a better motherboard/cpu but long story short I didn't get them and got my money back. Anyways I was able to put a PC together from some old parts that my friend had. Do you think this PC will be able to run a server ok? So far it has:

Amd Duron 850
256 megs pc133 ram (obviously I will be upgradeing the ram if I use it, would add 512megs to it)
2.1 gig hard drive
8 meg video card
windows 2k pro sp4 for the OS.

If I was to upgrade this PC's ram to say 768 megs of ram do you think it will be enough to run a server? Of course the only thing installed on it right now is the OS, and the only things that would be installed is the needed stuff for the Server. The only thing that would concern me is the Hard Drive isn't real fast where it is a older hd. But once it loads up it runs pretty smooth, and its only got the 256 on ram atm.

Also at 768 megs of ram how many zones could be safely booted?

samandhi
08-29-2004, 10:37 AM
Also at 768 megs of ram how many zones could be safely booted?
The equipment you have listed sounds fine, though I wonder what your connection speed is... General rule of thumb is to allow at least 5K/s for each person logged in... This is, in most cases the largest bottleneck, not the equipment. You have plenty of equipment (with 768) to run say (only a guess) 20+ people, though probably pretty laggy when trying to zone and anything like that, that is hard drive/cpu intensive. Once again in that case (supposing you had unlimited bandwidth ISP), your hd speed and cpu speed would probably be your bottleneck...

If you were only playing with 10 people or so, you should be just fine with that box... Just make it a dedicated box (turning off EVERYTHING that is not needed). Hell it might be in your best interest to install 98, or NT, or *nix (*nix being the best for that for the superior control over ALL processes IMO) on that box just to save as much ram and cpu as you can for the emu... Just some of my thoughts on the question you asked.... Hope you found SOME info useful in it... :)