PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to use Perl?

Jorickinc
08-31-2004, 06:03 AM
I run my world.exe and i runs fine. But when i run boot5zones, it runs fine tiill i get an error loading embedded perl.

I created a basic db, with nothing in it apparently. Just need to know how to bypass this problem.

jimbox114
08-31-2004, 06:19 AM
If you want to have any type of quest you will need Perl. This also includes if you simply want your mobs to say something if you hail them.

Jorickinc
08-31-2004, 06:33 AM
If i can create my world without perl right now, and than just ad it later. Dont know exactly how to install perl.
It gave me a bunch of code that went fine, but when it came to installing IO:Scalar, thats where the probs occured.

I guess what i need is a full instruction how to install perl with io:scalar.
If someone could do that, it would be muchly appreciated

Cisyouc
08-31-2004, 06:51 AM
If i can create my world without perl right now, and than just ad it later. Dont know exactly how to install perl.
It gave me a bunch of code that went fine, but when it came to installing IO:Scalar, thats where the probs occured.

I guess what i need is a full instruction how to install perl with io:scalar.
If someone could do that, it would be muchly appreciatedThere ARE full instructions on how to install IO::Scalar.

Melwin
08-31-2004, 06:59 AM
dfjigjfi

samandhi
08-31-2004, 09:22 AM
Installing Perl

Download Perl 5.8 (or newest version), Then install using the default settings for everything. Now reboot so path changes take affect. Congratulations, Perl is installed.

Installing IO::Scalar
If you don't already have it, download nmake.exe (save with .exe extension). You can find it here (http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/oss/cvs/jsp/~checkout~/jspformatbean2/Attic/NMAKE.EXE?rev=1.1.1.1&content-type=application/exe). Copy it into your perl\bin directory. Then type the following in a DOS window:
Code:
perl -MCPAN -e shell

When asked if you want to configure it manually, say "no". Once everything is done there type in:
Code:
install IO::Scalar

Once complete it should say -- install OK.

Problems
If perl isn't installed properly the zone windows will disapear after starting up. If you followed all the above steps correctly, make sure you have a copy of "Perl58.dll" in your "C:\Perl\bin" directory. If there is a copy there, search your computer for all other copies of it and delete them. Also note it is Perl58, not 56.

To test if IO::Scalars is installed type the following in a DOS window:
Code:
perl -MIO::Scalar -e "print 'Installed'"

If you get an error it isn't working. Make sure you installed it correctly, if you didn't delete the following files in "C:\Perl\site\lib\IO" and then rerun "install IO::Scalar":
Scalar.pm
Scalar.pm.html
ScalarArray.pm

This is to install perl ... To compile perl binaries of the emu, do the following:

Right now by default perl is not enabled when you compile. You will need to define EMBPERL for perl quests, and/or EMBPERL_PLUGIN for perl plugins (remember plugins require IO::Scalers)

To create another build configuration with perl support in VC++6
open the server (or zone) project
menu-- build,configurations
select zone-win32-Release and press add
set the configuration name to Relase with Perl
set copy configuration from zone-win32-Release
menu-- build,set active configuration
select zone-win32-Relase with Perl
menu-- Project, settings
Select c/c++ tab
with the category pulldown reading General add ,EMBPERL,EMBPERL_PLUGIN to the end of the Preprocessor defines
Change category to Preprocessor and put c:\perl\lib\core in the Additional include Directories
select the link tab
change the category to input and put c:\perl\lib\core in the Additional library path
Close window
menu-- project, add to project, files
select zone\embparser.cpp make sure it has insert into: zone selected
do the same for embperl.cpp embparser.h and embperl.h

Now you can build a zone.exe with or without perl support. It will put the zone.exe with perl in a sub directory of the zone source. This is how I set it up so that it worked. If there is a "proper" way please let me know.

If compiled with perl quest, all quests must be in perl format. the *.qst files will not be read!.... Hope that helps...