PDA

View Full Version : I can't log into my server, others can though

jimbox114
09-02-2004, 09:17 AM
This is a new one, for some reason I can't log into my own server now. I have it set up on my new PC, and of course I am trying to log in from my old PC. When I try to log into it I get kicked back to the log in screen. When I log back in I get that message about how I need to patch, etc. I know its a working install of EQ, I logged in to a couple of other servers with no problem.

Odd thing is I am looking at it right now and somebody actually was able to log into my server. They went right in, and have zoned around, etc. I tried again and got the same error though. I have checked around with the settings and everything seems good.

The only two things I can think of is 1> Maybe I do have a firewall on the server PC. It is running Windows 2k, to my knowledge Win2k doesn't not have a firewall program in it? Or maybe 2> My DMZhost is not set right in my router? I changed it to the internal IP of the Server Pc, I also was sure to update my setting at the no-ip website with the server PC. I would think if that was the case though nobody would be able to get in?

Derision
09-02-2004, 09:32 AM
On the PC on which your are running the EQ client, you probably need to edit your hosts file:

C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts on xp

and add an entry:

192.168.x.x (or whatever your LOCAL IP is) <your server's DNS name>

I am assuming your are using your server's DNS name rather than an IP address in your server INI and BAT files.

E.g., my server DNS name is rama.demon.co.uk and my server's INTERNAL IP is 192.168.1.100, so I added this to the C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
file on the PC on which I run the EQ client

192.168.1.100 rama.demon.co.uk

Without this I will get the symptoms you describe, i.e. people outside my network can logon but I can't.

jimbox114
09-03-2004, 02:31 AM
I got it taken care of, thanks.