PDA

View Full Version : New to this, hardware question.

Snoopdog
09-18-2004, 01:41 PM
I have very basic questions. I read a little on the server and i might be able to do this, a few past topics were comparable to my setup. This is what i have.

933 mhz P3 laptop, 512 meg of ram running win 2000 server

What i want to do, play EQ with me, wife and son all different computers.

Can i do it ? Also does the server only host one zone or all zones ??? Are the vendors and monster spawn points comparable to EQ or non-existant ? How current are the zones ? I mean are the instanced dungeons there ?

Cutter
09-18-2004, 02:10 PM
ok, you can setup a server for your wife and kids to play on yes.. what lies is the question how big you want it.. keep in mind youll be running a zserver on this machine, and world.exe.. and if you run a eq client and play on the same machine as well.. also how many zones you want up..

its kinda iffy.. also.. what net connection you have? or are you using mini login.. which isnt working totally correct right now..

then theres .. where we are not up to patch to live yet...... so if you are patched.. yer sol on that part

the other part is yes. eqemu is pretty current as far as zones are concern and items.. due to the devs hard work.. and there are always new things coming out....

but take this from someone who knows.. it takes a whole lot of time and can take money to set up and run a server..

Heres my suggestion .. and maybe it may not be altogether good for you.. but i would suggest maybe playing on one of the already servers that is put together and running.. try it out.. see if it works for you and your family.. then decide if you want to still do this....

I run a server myself.. but its closed so i can learn.. and its been rough so far.. but im trying my best because outside of trying and digging answers from people who already knows.. its been really fun and chanelleging..

bottom line is i think you have an ok setup.. for what you are asking to do... but to house more than 3-4 to 20 40 better think of a better solution..

Me , if i ever go live.. i will have to buy a dedicated server. that can handle the bandwidth so i can handle 20 -30 people.. but i dont want a huge server like S2k or WR..

Snoopdog
09-18-2004, 02:33 PM
As far as the bandwidth, i have DSL but everything will be here local in my house, closed off to just us. What did you mean about "how many zones", i mean the zone loads when you get into it right ? Are you saying that i can only host a limited amount of zones for us ? If so then this will not work for us, we would want the freedom of movement..

cloud2276
09-18-2004, 03:07 PM
What he meant, is that eqemu loads zones dynamically(when you zone for instance, or log in), unlike eqlive where all the zones are staticly loaded(always up). I do not think this will be an issue with you, because the default boot5zones.bat loads 5 zones, and since you stated only 3 would be playing on your server at any one time, you should be perfectly fine playing. I would suggest you use the eqemu.net login server to play on your local server, you will just need to set the account names in your database just to allow access your server, and not allow anyone else to join(server will be locked, but granted accounts can login) I think you need to set all 3 accounts to serverop. Searching the forums for database editors, or if your comfortable editing sql files, you can use mysql-front and set the flags on your accounts.

All this does boil down to which client patch are you up to? I'm not sure if current live patch(DR5.8 ) will work for you(I know 5.7 does, I can log onto my own personal server on the same machine I run world/zone)

Setting up the server is pretty easy, some pretty nice walkthroughs are listed in the forums, just be sure to follow them to the letter.

Good luck!

samandhi
09-18-2004, 03:10 PM
As far as the bandwidth, i have DSL but everything will be here local in my house, closed off to just us. What did you mean about "how many zones", i mean the zone loads when you get into it right ? Are you saying that i can only host a limited amount of zones for us ? If so then this will not work for us, we would want the freedom of movement..

You wont be able to run EQEmu on a Lan at this point... The only way to accomplish this is to run an older server version, as minilogin (which is what allows one to play locally and not connect to eqemulator.net servers) is broken and not being worked on anymore..

As far as zones go, you will be fine... Just set up your boot5zones.bat file as suggested in the guides... Technically if you are only playing 3 people the most zones at one time you will need up is 6...And that is only if all three of you zone to a different zone at the very same time.... You have plenty of computer to handle 3 people... And bandwidth wont be an issue, as you are only having 3 people hooked up at any one time.As a rule of thumb, it is 5K/s per client (aproximation)..... So if you have standard DSL (which is 128 up) you will have enough to handle them all.

There IS a way to set up your server so that you can have JUST the 3 computers you want connected to your server, and yet have your server listed on eqemulator.net login server... First you will have to lock your server. Then you need to create accounts in your database for all three computers clients. Set them to have server op access (which is 200). Now you need to edit your addon.ini file (which is where you set access levels for everyone). 200 is server op status, but you can set everything that you dont want accessed by those two other comptuers to 250 (Eg..!summonitem=250, not !summonitem=200).... Now just set YOUR access to 250, and you have access to all server op commands, but the two other computers dont.. The reason you change all those accounts to 200 (server op level) is because when your server has the status of locked, no one can log into it except server op's.....

[edit] I would suggest you use the eqemu.net login server to play on your local server, you will just need to set the account names in your database just to allow access your server, and not allow anyone else to join(server will be locked, but granted accounts can login) I think you need to set all 3 accounts to serverop. Searching the forums for database editors, or if your comfortable editing sql files, you can use mysql-front and set the flags on your accounts. Actually there is a much easier way to do this.

Start with your server UNLOCKED so everyone can access it, then after your family have all created accounts, have them log off... Now shut down your server and open up a command window (dos session). cd into your eqemu server folder (where world.exe is), and type the following (substituting username for the specific UN they used, and access level 200, except for you, unless you want EVERYBODY to have access to ALL commands):
world flag <username> <access level>

Then just close the window after it logs in, and re-lock through loginserver.ini, and restart. You are off and playing...

Snoopdog
09-18-2004, 03:51 PM
All of that sounds resonably easy to do, probably within my capability to setup. One thing that bothers me is that none of us currently have EQ installed, in fact have not played since LOY, when we install do we patch ??? And if we patch will it patch way too far ? Am i screwed now that i removed it off all of our machines ?

cloud2276
09-18-2004, 04:27 PM
Well, technically, your out of luck, because your files are way out of date of the current builds of eqemu. I'm not sure you will be able to find a DR that is compatiable with your current client(Let alone, finding a database compatible) The only thing I can think of is to patch to live, then head to http://scorpious2k.2ya.com/, click on the were running dr6 box at top, and download the patch, which will backpatch you to 5.7. One thing though, even on DSL, be prepared for a huge download everquest+all expansions = around 3gb(good god when will they stop? =p) Make sure in the everquest patcher, you click advanced, and click all expansions.

If that doesn't work, you'll probably have to wait till the post OOW client is more stable with eqemu.

samandhi
09-18-2004, 06:50 PM
click on the were running dr6 box at top, and download the patch, which will backpatch you to 5.7. Knowing that, though you will also have to use the 5.7 server if you do that method.... AND 5.7 compatible DB, as they have changed their format for it, and others wont work (well they might but most wont)......

Your best bet is to patch up to live, and wait until they release the fix for the 14th patch (which, I am guessing, JUST guessing wont be long of a wait). Then just use the 5.8 or 5.9 (whichever it is when the patch break is fixed) server......... G'luck to ya.

Snoopdog
09-20-2004, 03:26 AM
I go to this http://scorpious2k.2ya.com and get a blank page ?

mattmeck
09-20-2004, 03:29 AM
moved host, need to wait on DNS to update

Snoopdog
09-20-2004, 06:39 AM
Ok i can at least get to the website from work, going to record the i.p. or change DNS servers when i get home. I have another quickie question. Looking through the website for a few hours, there seem to be a few database options out there, which is the most up to date and complete ? I see two options on Project EQ.....a classic that is about 8mb download and a MW057 that says it is 149 zones that is 5mb. Also if there is one even more complete i would like a link to it. No sense in recreating the wheel if someone has already done it. After i get a working database i am going to start my own world building as close to EQ as i can remember.

sotonin
09-20-2004, 07:05 AM
That's all there is at the moment. Classic is the first of a complete set of databases we are releasing in order. We create as true to live eq as we can, so it might be futile to try and invent the wheel as you said. Don't let me stop you though, the more the merrier, but creating these databases is a lot of hard work and takes an extreme amount of time, patience and knowledge of mysql. So know what you are getting into beforehand )

Snoopdog
09-20-2004, 08:47 AM
Ok sounds good, i am not a programmer by any means. I have to get by and ride on the shoulders of you guys to enjoy things like your project. I am sure there is minor things i will be able to change and add into the world myself but a limited amount. As far as the classic database is it really close to the real game ? In this i mean like the spawn points and vendors very similar ? Items ?

tcsmyworld
09-21-2004, 06:16 PM

Elkay
09-22-2004, 09:58 AM
The first link to the site has a comma at the end. That's why you probably can't connect. :wink: