View Full Version : Need help?

Adriode
02-01-2005, 05:17 AM
Hey.. I've been glancing over EQemu for last couple days and whatnot since I've always wanted to play EQ on one of these emulated servers.. But anyway I'll get straight to the point since this is my first post and I don't want to look like a dumbass.

I'm sorta familiar with a variety of programming languages (software engineering major) and was wondering if there's any way I'd be able to help further a new EQemu along? I'm not sure where to look to even see what language you use though, so I don't know how much I could even help yet, if any. And also, I retired from EQ about half a year ago so I don't have an active account if that matters.

RangerDown
02-01-2005, 05:24 AM
Good morning and welcome.

EQEmu is an open source project that keeps a (usually) updated copy of its source code on SourceForge. The project is here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/eqemulator/

The project is written in C++ and uses MySQL for a database. The official builds are for Windows, compiled with MS Visual Studio, but since several server ops use Linux you need to refrain from using any "Winblows-only :D" functions or datatypes that could cause portability problems.

For servers that are into quests, the code includes hooks for Perl scripting for the quests. To take advantage of it, you must have Perl and IO::Scalar installed (one of EQEmu's Howto's covers this, and ProjectEQ has a quest tutorial here: http://www.projecteq.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=149&highlight=quest+tutorial )

Adriode
02-01-2005, 06:03 AM
Alright thanks for the right direction. Here's another though... who might be able to tell me what could use work/looking over to get this thing to run again?

footfall99
02-01-2005, 04:51 PM
MS Visual Studio
-Footfall99

fathernitwit
02-01-2005, 05:35 PM
well as far as getting it to work on live again, the first step is to write new network code for the new EQ protocol. Doodman is working on this, but at this point there isnt much help that can be provided. Once we get new net code in, we will have a lot of stuff to do. On the other hand, theres a shit load of stuff that needs to be done besides getting it to work with live, so theres always room to work. It takes a long time to get framiliar enough with emu to try to fix live compat, so you might wanna start elsewhere.

If you wanna talk about stuff, drop by #support on irc, look for me or maybe doodman.

footfall99
02-01-2005, 05:46 PM
Sorry Adriode, I misunderstood your question. My appologies. I thought you were asking me if there was a program you could use to compile the source to debugg and get it to run.
-Footfall99

Adriode
02-02-2005, 08:24 AM
Nah I been using .NET since I beta tested the 2003, don't worry about it =)