PDA

View Full Version : patching yet again

Hardhat
11-14-2005, 06:05 AM
In a couple days they are patching EQ yet AGAIN!

Does this mean there is no hope of current EMU in the near future?

Ghost Fire
11-14-2005, 06:15 AM
Yes there is no hope. So just go find a sever to play on.

stefann
11-14-2005, 07:24 AM
Yes there is hope, we are staying at 0.6.2/3 until we get bugs fixed and the database starts to fill up. With DoD coming out I think Sony's gonna take a break and work on changing some stuff around(new UI on live :P) and working on DoD as it really brought out some new oppritunities. We can catch up to live easily as long as Sony doesn't majorly change packets and encryption, which I doubt. Hoever if you have a live subscription you can help us take care of 1/2 the reason we have paused by collecting packets to help us build the database with. And if your a coder with a compatible client help by working with the source and fixing bugs and overall improvments to the system. EQEMU has survived this far as it is open source and we have a entire community working on the program and the database.

Hardhat
11-14-2005, 09:08 AM
I do dabble with coding, what exactly can I do to help? I have active accounts atm, but that is short lived. I am more interested in running a server. So sure I will help. Just need to know what you need, and if I have the ability. Thank you Steff for the reasonable reply.

[qoute]Yes there is no hope. So just go find a sever to play on.[/quote]
Really, just keep it to yourself, or waste time elsewhere...

tallerin
11-14-2005, 09:39 AM
From the last i saw in a thread on this board that there were only 2 developers so i wouldn't get your hopes up to high. The devs do this on there free time so I don't blame them for wanting to freeze on this version. every patch they do it changes the network code there fore evertime the devs have to fix,add,redo etcthe networkcode for eqemu. the devs do nothing but play the catch up game time after time after time.

Granted there maybe hope but sometime way down the road maybe not just don't get your hopes up to high then get mad if it does not happen.

Ghost Fire
11-14-2005, 10:22 AM
Read below

Ghost Fire
11-14-2005, 10:23 AM
If you don't like the truth skiper. Don't cry about it.(No I'm not Flaming) Point is, Devs are working on the NOW emulator. As posted in many areas.
Example : (Which we are freezing on).
Sooo if they ever decide to Work really HARD to get it up to live again, I bet they will post it on the General::News (http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=594)

stefann
11-14-2005, 10:26 AM
If you don't like the truth skiper. Don't cry about it. Point is, Devs are working on the NOW emulator. As posted in many areas.
Example : (Which we are freezing on).
Sooo if they ever decide to Work really HARD to get it up to live again, I bet they will post it on the General::News (http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=594)
And if you read the forums you'd know that the devs really are just pausing until we get the DB caught up and some bugs fixed.

Hardhat
11-14-2005, 04:00 PM
Actually, I have no idea what the devs do, and would never go about saying they are slow or they suck, more along the lines of: I am offering to help, if I even can. I dabble in some coding, a lot of graphics and the such. But it could be much above my head. Dunno till I do some more research, this is part of it. I have a little experience with VSNET, and C++, all self taught, and a ton of graphics stuff (thats what I truly enjoy).

Belfedia
11-14-2005, 09:53 PM
The two devs are Fathernitwit and doodman (if i'm not wrong ?)
Ask them ? that not a bad idea for help :)

Hardhat
11-15-2005, 03:01 AM
Thx Bel, I will do just that. Right now we are working on getting a server full blown up and running. After that, I may have more knowledge as to what is internal in all this :D

johane
11-15-2005, 06:11 AM
From the last i saw in a thread on this board that there were only 2 developers so i wouldn't get your hopes up to high. The devs do this on there free time so I don't blame them for wanting to freeze on this version. every patch they do it changes the network code there fore evertime the devs have to fix,add,redo etcthe networkcode for eqemu. the devs do nothing but play the catch up game time after time after time.

Granted there maybe hope but sometime way down the road maybe not just don't get your hopes up to high then get mad if it does not happen.

I've seen at least 5 people submit patches on these forums in the last few months, so I don't think "2 developers" is quite right. Maybe there's only 2 people with CVS commit rights.

Rather than saying "don't wait up cos there's only 2 devs" say "hey, great opportunity - post your patches and everyone can have a look".

Hardhat
11-15-2005, 06:35 AM
We have been using this guide http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17363&highlight=6.0-DR2 to set up a server, everything went well right up to the download "THIS TOO" which was a broken link (http://www.linkups.placida.fu8.com/PACKED.zip).

Anyone have a good link to this? Apparrently it is needed. We bypassed and went for setup anyways to get the file names missing. Naturally we couldnt find them anywhere.

Any help appreciated.

tallerin
11-15-2005, 11:37 AM
We have been using this guide http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/sh...ghlight=6.0-DR2 to set up a server, everything went well right up to the download "THIS TOO" which was a broken link (http://www.linkups.placida.fu8.com/PACKED.zip).

if i can remeber right that zip deals with tributelvls. you can get them off source fourge tl.sql,tributes.sql,merchantlist_temp.sql,doors_up date.sql are what i believe was in that zipfile.

I've seen at least 5 people submit patches on these forums in the last few months, so I don't think "2 developers" is quite right. Maybe there's only 2 people with CVS commit rights.

Rather than saying "don't wait up cos there's only 2 devs" say "hey, great opportunity - post your patches and everyone can have a look".

yes there are a handful of people who realease THERE own patches,databases,binary compiles but as for the initial releases to make the eqemu server itself live compatible and to fix issues with eqemu source there are only the 2 that Belfedia mentioned. they do the majority if not all of updating the network code ect of eqemu to live compat. if there were 5 devs still working on making eqemu live compat i don't think they would have froze on the last version. the work would/could have be dispered between the lot of them. So there would be people working on implementing features bug fixing and some to do the reworking each and evertime a new eq patch came out.

So if you think i'm trying to discourage people from trying to help out i am not i'm am just stating what i have read and seen in post's that were posted about them freezeing on 6.2 and no longer chaseing live.
It would be great to have more people helping eqemu and if i new a thing about reading or what ever of network coding and writing it i would help but that is not my trade.

Hardhat
11-15-2005, 08:07 PM
Yes, that is the files, I called myself looking at sourceforge, but as much reading as we have done in the last 2 weeks, I would not be surprised if one of us missed it. Thx for the info.

Bedtime, another 15+ hour day at the keyboard, think I will take a break for tomorrow :D