PDA

View Full Version : Hi, My LAN server ONLY works for me..? Help.

Xantans
07-12-2006, 09:38 AM
HI i recently followed the windows server 7.0 directions perfectly, the only problem is that it does not specify how to let people on your LAN connect to your server, only I, the person running the server could connect to it... any help please?
like, do i just change the eqhost.txt and the Loginserver.ini to it? cause i am almost sure i did that and it did not work.
Please and thank you in advanced.

OK:
I just found http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20772
and that helped.
But when i try and enter the world on my other computer it goes back into the login screen and gives me the error that i need to update it or something?
help! (it is error 1017)
I kept trying and heres what happend:
An unknown error occured,
A timeout occured,
then once more and im back at login, login and i get error 1017, try to enter world and...im back at login again.

It does not even work on the computer hosting the server, same error. Anyone have an idea whats going on, like do i need to do that router fix because i cant connect to my own server? not sure... ill try that i guess.

Zard
07-12-2006, 10:18 AM
HI i recently followed the windows server 7.0 directions perfectly, the only problem is that it does not specify how to let people on your LAN connect to your server, only I, the person running the server could connect to it... any help please?
like, do i just change the eqhost.txt and the Loginserver.ini to it? cause i am almost sure i did that and it did not work.
Please and thank you in advanced.

This may or may not help, not really enough information listed but I found this topic extremely helpfull when I had to edit my Loginserver.ini & eqemu config.

http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20772&highlight=127.0.0.1

I would also double check to ensure the clients that are trying to connect have the loginservers IP and not the 127.0.0.1. But changing the eqhost.txt was not enough for me when I set up my lan. I also had to adjust the eqemu config file and the loginserver to reflect my external IP address as well so that the connecting PC could find it.

Zard
07-12-2006, 10:21 AM
I would ensure that your connecting PC has a fresh / unpatched version of Titanium with the correct eqhost.txt. Thats all they should need to connect other than yourself setting up thier account in the database.

The guide to connect for players is in the wikki. Its much simpler than the set up for servers.

Xantans
07-12-2006, 10:23 AM
Hmm.. i just did all that and this error stuff i just explained is happening, thank you, but have you ever experianced this problem that i have?

do you think its cause im behind a router?

I'm really not sure about this account database stuff, i can login, but i cant get into the world, can you explain the account database more?

I did all the eqhost.txt's and the conig.xml and the loginserver.ini already.

Can you give me a link of that in the wIkki? just tried to find it and failed, ill keep looking. i really dont understand how to add accounts, i dont use the control center, tried to and couldnt find this 'accounts database or something' i use the other one and have a horrible time trying, but apparently it worked as they can log in.

New Info: I think i just figured out MySQLCC :-)

Zard
07-12-2006, 10:41 AM
I highly recommend MysqlCC as it makes for easy editing of the accounts. If you followed the wikki on set up it probably has your account on your host listed with the 172.0.0.1 in the database which will have to be changed to the hosts IP address instead

As far as the host computer not connecting...I had to change the IP address in my hosts EQHOST.TXT to that of the login server instead of 172.0.0.1 or it did not work either.

Gotta run. Hope that helps.
Players Wikki link below:
If you are on your own server steps 2 & 3 are not really necessary. Step 4 will require your login servers IP.
http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=CategoryPlaying

Xantans
07-12-2006, 10:47 AM
Yessss It Freaking Worked!
I Love You Omgzorz

Zard
07-13-2006, 03:47 AM
Excellent, congrats as the fun can begin now :smile:

I have considered creating a LAN tutorial for local set ups as it varies a bit from setting up an online server. If one is available here it must be tucked away pretty good as I have not been able to find it. Currently I keep backups of my loginserver.ini and eqemu config as it took me a while of searching the forums to get it correct.

Note on Backups >> its a good idea to back them up also since I had to redo these files previoulsy when I updated to the latest build.

Angelox
07-13-2006, 11:16 AM
The biggest problem here is, most people don't search for answers - all the questions posted, are always the same ones. If only we searched the forums and wiki first :) .
Im glad the administrators here are patient - I've been in other forums where you don't last long with the same old questions.
I too made plenty of questions that were already answered here, I wish I could delete them now.

Zard
07-14-2006, 03:24 AM
I would agree and disagree Angelox. As you can see I have not posted anything on these forums previously as I searched my bum off looking for answers. But I believe all of this would be resolved by having different tutorials for different needs. Some want online servers for the general public, but I bet a good portion want to simply host thier own private LAN server. If you follow the set up guide as instructed by the wikki, it is guarenteed not to work for LAN. Which will lead to more & more posts on the subject as we all know not everyone is as patient while searching. Some want a fast answer, some want others to do the leg work for them, and some have no clue where to begin or what the problem would even be. So I understand thier pain and confusion which is why I decided to help as compared to lecturing someone to search previous posts. The only reason I did not post when it took me 3 days just to configure my LAN is because I was fearfull that an answer was out there and that I would be flamed if I asked a question.
I too made plenty of questions that were already answered here, I wish I could delete them now.
And by your comment I can see you have been there before as well :) Perhaps I just haven't helped out enough to get to that point yet, give me 6 months and we will see lol :)
Also I would like to note that my comments have no negative thoughts to the admins, owners, or anyone else who has helped create this site and it's contents. I think they have done a fantastic job on the emulator and I would much rather see thier free time put into it as compared to these forums. They even have an area for others to help update the wikki (which I need to get to work on and submit)

So again I agree that most of the answers are out there to be found, but I disagree that individuals not searching enough is not the biggest problem, IMO it is that the current tutorials are intended for a different use and will not configure someone who is interested in LAN play only. To stop the tumbling effect you must correct it at the source.
Yessss It Freaking Worked!
This alone was enough to justify the time I spent helping.
/endnovel