PDA

View Full Version : Making a server more stable

mudman
06-09-2002, 07:23 AM
Wondering a couple things about getting my server more stable. Seems that more than 4 people start making crashes and lag.

1-would more cpu capacity help?

2-is DSL sufficient?

3-do switchers greatly reduce performance?

4-is 384 meg of ram enough?

5-how much do the databases that are out effect this, i have Dils latest one i believe?

6- Are there tweeks that can be done in mySQL

lots of questions sorry , people are loving my server but we are having occasional periods of lag and crashes. Actually sometimes often the server runs really really well. Evenings seems to not run so well, I took the DSL modem off the switcher and went direct on server to DSL hoping that might eliminate some lag, also going to buy some more ram. Thanks M.

system:
Server on dedicated pc, Win98, 384 meg of ram, PIII 700, nothing running in background , well sometimes IRC or a browser but thats about it.

Lurker_005
06-09-2002, 08:53 AM
DSL or cable is generally not enough bandwith to support more than a few connections. The limiting factor is usually your upload bandwith. Go to www.dslreports.com and do a speed check. Another way to check, is to play on a lan connection also. If your client on the lan connection is lagging then you server is the bottleneck.

Larger databases use more memory, thus you whole computer could run slower.

And the switch shouldn't have any noticable effect on performance

mudman
06-09-2002, 06:28 PM
thanks Lurker. wow that much band width holy cow.. even cable cant do it sufficient would be nice to have a T1. I hear the Linux version has less lag is this true?

M.