PDA

View Full Version : Mirroring... And Teamspeak

Lalolyen
09-21-2007, 05:30 AM
Guys and galls...

I know you are tried of searching, hunting, and trying to track down that software, or script someone made 4 months ago, to find that the link is broken because the site doesn't exist any longer.

Well, I'm the "going to do this" kinda person. Therefore I'm setting up a mirror server just for EQEMU's community. IF the devs want they can create a DNS A record to point to 64.69.34.153 called mirrorX.eqemulator.net or whatever.

Just let me know when it is done and I'll have the mirror ready.

Also, I'm officially proposing "out with the old, in with the new" kinda thing. Thats right, Go TeamSpeak and stop getting no response in IRC. Of course let it be optional =P

Again a simple A record to be added to show 64.27.0.233 pointed to teamspeak.eqemulator.net .

That I think will add a lot of value to our community, and I'm willing to provide those service for as long as the community can use them (without any charge or commitment to myself).

Theeper
09-21-2007, 06:12 AM
I don't understand what you are going to mirror ?

If people won't maintain their links on this site, why would they maintain them on your site ? Or do you plan to download and store everything yourself ?

Also, are you proposing that the Devs get on Teamspeak and answer questions ? ... cause I can't imagine that happening.

Ventrilo > Teamspeak anyway :p~

Lalolyen
09-21-2007, 08:17 AM
I don't understand what you are going to mirror ?

If people won't maintain their links on this site, why would they maintain them on your site ? Or do you plan to download and store everything yourself ?

Also, are you proposing that the Devs get on Teamspeak and answer questions ? ... cause I can't imagine that happening.

Ventrilo > Teamspeak anyway :p~

The mirror will be for the devs to store their files, like a backup storage system. Per say, if someone decides to do so they can upload the files to the server, which they will have a username and pass (that will be gained by email verification) and yeah, just mirror the files.

Any user can do this, kinda like a wiki for files, so to speak. Meaning if someone posts their script here under GNU/GPL post them on that mirror and the files will be accessible forever =P

Teamspeak vs Vent? No way Vent is better. Voice quality is better, I give you that, but when it comes to the hard core gamers and developers, TS has a smaller memory foot print, less load usage, and consumes less bandwidth. Not to mention the TS server itself can handle more than 2000x the users at once than vent can, and is way more secure, allow the user to implement their own security measures, bots, etc like IRC...

Vent doesn't come close to Teamspeak when it comes to stability and security. Vent looks pretty... Its like comparing Microshit to Linux... really.

Edit: I mean Microshaft...

Edit: I mean Microsoft.