PDA

View Full Version : Orignal EQ beta zone: Designer Apprentice

gernblan
10-03-2007, 01:24 PM
I'm just wondering out loud if anyone happens to still have a copy of that old beta zone from the original EQ beta.

It's shortname is apprentice

Would be neat to know that somebody still has it :)

I lost my copy in a crash ages ago and have been thinking about it lately.

So I thought I'd just ask.

Sensu-Bean
10-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Are you talking about that demo zone where you explored the inside of a castle?

10-09-2007, 06:26 PM
I think the beta hes referring to is the prototype of north qeynos they had.

Lalolyen
10-09-2007, 06:38 PM
Didn't beta run on a diffrent graphics engine though? How would you implement the zone in the current graphics engine without a total rework (fresh build)?

gernblan
10-11-2007, 01:33 PM
NO, it was part of the live beta. Same engine as the original release.

Richardo
10-13-2007, 04:13 AM
The EQ LithTech engine has been around forever, they just keep adding more crap to it. It's a terrible graphics engine and eats memory like Rogean eats Wendy's Burgers.

gernblan
10-13-2007, 11:23 AM
Yup. Same engine they did Blood 2 on. Blood 2 was a great game hehe

TheLieka
10-14-2007, 03:00 PM
If you get your hands on this, I would definately be interested also. =)

Dax

gernblan
10-22-2007, 03:21 AM
I'm starting to doubt that zone will ever see the light of day again.

Sakrateri
10-22-2007, 04:07 AM
Well , heres some cool screenshots while your thinking about it

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/gallery/alphabeta.html

gernblan
10-23-2007, 11:56 AM
Neat!

Thanks!

None of those shots are of Designer Apprentice, though. Let me try to describe it.

it was a rectangle area with two floors.

On the bottom were rows of weapon racks and barrels. Many boxes too. Most were containers that they put "testing items" in, some weapons, armor, tradeskill items, etc.

Every type of tradeskill was there also.

Some mobs were also up that you could fight and test things on. The repop time was very short (of course, so that you could keep testing).

It was a NEAT part of the EQ beta.

And since I lost my copy, I'm really afraid it's lost forever (just like any solid info on what PoM used to be like so that someone (like me, given the chance) could recreate it and "De-revamp" the travesty that it is now.

Myrakkel
10-23-2007, 12:53 PM
Was that the old tutorial zone from the original release of EQ? If so I am sure Skorp2k will may have a copy. If I remember correctly that was the starting zone on the server.

gernblan
10-23-2007, 01:20 PM
tutoriala was the name of that one. There was also tutorial.

this one was called "apprentice" and if you look at the client zone list, you'll see a slot for it still, to this day.. just no zone to go with it... it seems to be a lost part of EQ history :(

Sakrateri
10-23-2007, 08:23 PM
I know it wouldn't be the same thing but if you could draw up a rough sketch I could try to recreate it with openzone for you...just a thought..

IADarkyth
11-19-2007, 09:07 AM
Yeah, I lost some of my old discs which had all of my old EQ, EQEmu, and EthernalQuest/Hackersquest files - lost with that were some old zones and the old GM client.

I've been asking around for them for awhile, but no luck. :'(

SunmanX
12-24-2007, 10:52 PM
Are you talking about CHHome?

zutfen
12-28-2007, 02:06 AM
No what he was originally talking about, but again, that would be one zone that I would love to see again... should have burned the file to a CD when I was a guide back in the day.

Telltolin
12-28-2007, 02:43 AM
No what he was originally talking about, but again, that would be one zone that I would love to see again... should have burned the file to a CD when I was a guide back in the day.

I quit the guide service back in October, myself. If by CHHome that person meant CSHome, I have that uploaded to my webhost (in a locked backup directory only accessable by myself). But of course it would be illegal and a bannable offense to post it.

I'm glad I left the guide program, what the hell is the deal with those grannies and their 3.8mb sigs with poser artwork and the constant threads asking how to make an a href link. I'm surprised I never saw one of them go ((((((((((%T)))))))))). OK, I'll shut up now.

gernblan
04-20-2008, 01:59 AM
I also have the original CSHome, Jest3 runs a new custom one now though (mainly because we couldn't give the old one to new GMs and stuff legally). It's cool to see though (the old one)... ONCE ;)

It's really nothing special.

But again, what I would not give for a copy of Designer Apprentice. I'd run it so that people could see it.

Kayot
04-21-2008, 04:33 PM
So where there 2 cshomes? The only one I saw was the one with the white building and the lake out back (Screen shots mind you). Is that the new one or old one?

Sakrateri
04-22-2008, 01:57 AM
The first post from Gernblan asks
I'm just wondering out loud if anyone happens to still have a copy of that old beta zone from the original EQ beta.

It's shortname is apprentice

Would be neat to know that somebody still has it

I lost my copy in a crash ages ago and have been thinking about it lately.

So I thought I'd just ask.

No there was not two CSHOME's This post is about looking for the "apprentice" zone with Long name being "Designer Apprentice", I don't know how everyone keeps mistaking that for CSHOME or some other zone.

Luminarius
04-23-2008, 06:20 PM
So how's your own project coming along, Sakrateri? :D