PDA

View Full Version : I dont get it

Sakrateri
10-28-2007, 10:08 AM
Why oh why do they continue to upgrade old zones that no one even uses anymore? couldn't this time be better spent making a whole new game ?

http://eqplayers.station.sony.com/news_article.vm?id=50634

after all the time and money into that zone it will not make one more person use it.

Ramblings of a mad man? perhaps....

Wizzel
10-28-2007, 10:35 AM
I agree completely. They should be spending their time making new content or just throw in the towel. The fact that this zone merely looks passable for what we might consider mediocre graphics of today, I don't seem to get it either. Especially considering that you zone to Steamfont from Ak'Anon and Lesser Faydark, zones that look "old." I haven't played the live game in a long time but I remember that when I did, they had redesigned ogres (which looked like crap might I add) and they were standing next to the guards, with the old models. I can't even attempt to understand what they are trying to do but it can't be good. I cry every time I think about what this game could have become. But we're doing something about it :).

Windcatcher
10-28-2007, 01:16 PM
I'm not seeing anything there that couldn't be done just as well with OpenZone, with good enough modelers doing it. And all for a zone that, like people have said, hardly anyone uses.

Telltolin
10-28-2007, 02:28 PM
They need to leave old zones alone. They've fucked up Freeport, the ocean of tears, the commons, the desert of ro/oasis and now they're moving on to Faydwer. I knew it would happen eventually, but with this coming expansion in november, I'm almost certain that they're going to revamp Greater Faydark, and I bet it will be a mushroom filled deciduous nightmare like it is in EQ2.

Sakrateri
10-28-2007, 06:12 PM
When they do redo them they should completely redo them with no map to know where your going so it is completely new, just like the ones we make with OpenZone. But alas I guess we are just like mothers with children and no matter how much they grow up we hate to see them get hurt and Sony is totally wailing on that baby lmao

Telltolin
10-28-2007, 07:33 PM
When they do redo them they should completely redo them with no map to know where your going so it is completely new, just like the ones we make with OpenZone. But alas I guess we are just like mothers with children and no matter how much they grow up we hate to see them get hurt and Sony is totally wailing on that baby lmao

If they want to redo stuff, they need to rehire all of the people that did the art for everquest back around the kunark era, have them redo the zones and stick to the original art style. They also need to rehire jay barbeau and have him do all of the music. <3 Jay Barbeau.

Angelox
10-28-2007, 10:56 PM
What's the top level now, 80, or 85?
What would a level 80 (level 50 for that matter) character need in any of the original zones?
You can break up Everquest up and make 3-4 games out of it;
Everquest1 : level 1-40 (Remove all zones that support past 40), then remove all those 1-40 zones and start a new game (Everquest2) with the first level at around 35.
After a certain point, each new expansion devalues the older expansion, until older zones (with their npcs, drops, quests) are rendered worthless- take away the newer expansions, and you have value to your older zones again.
probably, a good idea would have been to enforce "no go" zones- Example; once you became level 40, you stayed in PoK (and higher zones), and could not return to the starter zones. By the same token, a level 1-40, would have to stay in their compatible zones. We could probably do something in this line and ,make the game interesting in all level-aspects.

TheLieka
10-29-2007, 02:48 AM
I've been saying this for years, though I know most people think I've lost my mind, I still believe it:

They need to go back and rebuild EverQuest. Put it on a new game engine, and make it the same game as before, or perhaps progress the world a bit, but that's all. Sony has access to McQuaid and most of his old crew again, and they need to rebuild "EverQuest 2" as an actual sequel to Everquest, rather than the post-apocalyptic thug-fest that it is.

They could even go through and release Kunark again, Velious again, then holy shit, they might even be able to complete Luclin and release it, all of this on a new engine with shiny happy graphics. Hopefully they would rethink the expansions after Luclin, but nonetheless, up until that point, I'd be happy.

Current EQLive has pumped out too much content, it's absolutely dwarfing to think about, and the idea of someone starting on EQLive that has never played the game before makes my head hurt. As far as spending time with revamping the zones in EQ is concerned: I agree, why bother? It's stupid. No one cares in EQ1, the servers and content have progressed far beyond these zones.

Ok, Sony, continue putting out crappy expansions and releasing parts of MacroQuest as the EQ client for EQLive, that's fine, but at least put some effort into building something that new players would be interested in (hint: EQ2 and Vanguard isn't it).

Dax

John Adams
10-29-2007, 11:32 AM
They did rebuild Everquest.

It's called "Vanguard" now.

~puts on his flame retardant suit~

I agree with what's posted here, but I sorta see why SOE is doing what they do... maybe they are the ones that can't let go of EQ. Or, they are trying to make it to 10 years, so they can hang that on their wall.

RangerDown
10-29-2007, 01:37 PM
They probably give the zone rework to an entry-level artist to test his skills. Some say that SWG, with subs having died off post-NGE, is now a "playground" for entry-level programmers to train on, and that's probably what the EQ zones are too.

Theeper
10-29-2007, 01:57 PM
I ran through Highpass on Live last night and it's horrid maze of dull grey Luclin-esque tunnels now. Dunno how long it's been like that.