PDA

View Full Version : WinXP - EQ Patch - Fix!

Arcalyn
06-15-2002, 05:30 PM
If you have WindowsXP:

On the day you download the EQemu files that work with current Everquest patches, *Create a Restore Point* for that day.

Then if ya accidentally break the Emulator by patching, you can Restore your system back to the working copy.

If your not sure how to create a restore point go to this link:

http://windows.about.com/library/weekly/aa020127a.htm

And for those of you whom are lazy dogs use scheduler and this VB script:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_sysrestorepoint.htm

Xero
06-16-2002, 12:28 AM
Good idea, man.

Shawn319
06-16-2002, 04:28 AM
i'm a little hesitant when it comes to *.vbs files =P

Trumpcard
06-16-2002, 05:18 AM
Just be wary of *ANY* file with that little scroll icon on it.

You'll be amazed at the number of *.mp3.vbs files out there on file swapping services like kazaa.

Shawn319
06-16-2002, 06:03 AM
not to mention *.exe and *.com hehe.

and there's another virus in the making that infects Data Files (mp3, mpg, jpg or any other file you didnt think virus's can infect).

Trumpcard
06-16-2002, 06:55 AM
Thats the one Norton starting screaming about.. A jpg isnt exectable, so it cant be infect on its own. You have to be affected by an enabler virus that will execute the encoded virus in the jpg. Same thing with mp3's.. Norton sounded like theyre were fear-mongering to get people to buy AV software in that annoucement..

Symarra
06-16-2002, 07:39 AM
I've never gotten a virus in 13 years of computing!

*Technically I did get ONE virus but I don't count that one since it was on an Original CD from the manufacturer*

Guess they send out virus now with new games? =) hehehe

Shawn319
06-16-2002, 08:06 AM
what game was it? was it a bundle of like 10 games that were really old? my AV picked up one that was on a CD i poped in out of the box lol.

back to this W32/Perrin virus (the jpg one), i hear it cannot infect your computer unless you run the exe that comes with it. i guess it will infect the files but if you send em thay cant do any damage by themselves (like if i send you a jpg thats infected with the virus, nothing will happen exept your AV program will go nutz thinking its a virus). right now it doesnt do any damage but you never know.

Lurker_005
06-16-2002, 08:58 AM
Heh, open and edit any infected jpg or mp3 and your likely to disable the embeded virus code :)

Not garanteed though.

The double extension thing is a reason I NEVER have the OS hide known file extensions! Besides it is just annoying ;)

You think that an old game being infected is bad? It seems Microsoft released VS .net to the chineese??? marker that would compile a virus in any program it made. OOPS!!!

Shawn319
06-16-2002, 09:17 AM
when i first installed VS.net it said there was a malicius script trying to run =P

Hmm
06-16-2002, 11:49 AM
theres virus that was acciently added to vs.net cdrom. read about it at ms site about vs. or is it vb.net? hm well on of em anyway

Q-Dog
06-16-2002, 08:23 PM
Really if you understand the program that executes the innate file like MP3 or JPG you can have it run a backwords compile of your virus for you with the encoded information.. alot of people don't know that, and it is pretty scary but when you think about the time and effort put into it, you get to thinking how rare it is so you feel an ease and calm come over you.

Baron Sprite
06-16-2002, 10:40 PM
while ago I heard about something called I think Scorpion, which would record computer activity times, uninstall any AV software when you are most likely to be asleep/not there, and create a dummy of it... now THAT is called art ^_^

Shawn319
06-17-2002, 12:22 AM
the Klez virus comes in your e-mail and you dont even need to OPEN the exe attached to it (old outlook exploit, make sure your all patched up from Windows Update). it would disable AV software and re-send it to everyone on your contact list :)

Symarra
06-18-2002, 10:22 AM
Thanks for da info!

Letania
06-21-2002, 01:25 AM
now that somthing about viruses has been said i have to bring up how my friend got a virus which changed all of his icons to trashcans.. it was the best virus ever.. i don't think he ever fixed it =p

rubydefiance
06-21-2002, 06:23 AM
If it only 'trashed' (lol) his icon cache, he could just d/l tweakui and do a 'repair icon cache'.

Lon

Hmm
06-21-2002, 07:53 AM
ruby i think its not quite that.. it replaced the icon INSIDE the exes ( probily anyway ) cache is just to display the icons faster.

rubydefiance
06-21-2002, 07:54 AM
Figured the virus programmer might have been lazy hehe, and you can do the exact same thing using the icon cache (/innocentwhistle).

Lon