PDA

View Full Version : Re: Dumb Newbie

moydock
01-15-2008, 11:24 AM
Don't bite me for starting a new thread angelox but I think the dumb newbie may have a point. The Play Guide on the front page is small, there's a lot of stuff to read before you'll find it, not to mention the link is broken (to me at least). And the wiki takes a little finding to get to. I'm not saying it's that difficult to find, but I'd think you would want to have a giant button on the front page that flashes and says omg newbs click here to learn how to PLAY. Just my 2 cents.

mattmeck
01-15-2008, 04:06 PM
We had a button that blinked red, and was huge, forget the exact text that was on it. It was on every single page of the site, it was the size of the EQEmu in the logo at the top.

Can you guess why its not there??

Because nobody saw it, and it did nothing to reduce posts asking how to get stuff set up.

People in general are lazy and want things done for them, and dont want to do crap for themselves.

All the info is there, and nothing to do with how to play is hard to find, I am not kidding when I say it was tested by kids, I have my own kids and there friends test stuff every so often and they can manage to get on and play just fine.

flugel
01-18-2008, 03:26 AM
and being treated like idiots by burned out tech support agents and csrs that call the shots here is why the majority of your player base has buggered off.

Seriously, lighten up and just answer questions, no matter how repetitive or stupid they may seem to you.

AndMetal
01-18-2008, 08:08 AM
Teach a man to fish...

That is all.

ChaosSlayer
01-18-2008, 11:33 AM
one little IMHO - can you make "http://www.eqemulator.net/head_01_nb.jpg" image on the top of the forum screens to also be the link BACK to the main page? That little link all way down a bit hard to find =)

circuitdragon
01-18-2008, 11:40 AM
Just my little 1/10th of a cent...but as far as setting up the client, to even finding info for building a server, I had no problem at all following the main links on the page. Support info and maybe what I'd call "advanced" configurations is another matter, but far too many possible ways to setup machines and networks, no one is perfect. Like its been said many times over, search the forums. Not going to say that is an easy task, but it has and will continue to do so...help me out a lot. Just need to figure out some of the other things I've got going on, I'll find the answers soon enough. But well done to all that have made this project. Last thing, search first, ask questions later. :)

narcberry
01-18-2008, 11:55 AM
Broken links, old wikis, inaccurate stickies, popular topics confusing and reconfusing for years...

Yes, that is a major problem. There just are not enough people to make everything work perfect. If other people's priorities do not match your own, you are free to contribute to areas needing more help. You don't want to spend the next 3 months fixing the wikis, merging all information into a more useable form, and deleting all the old posts/archives? Hmm sounds like everyone else is the source of your problems. EQEmu would be a lot better without them huh? We could enjoy a nice flowery front-page together, maybe have some forums and compete for a post-count?

moydock
01-18-2008, 12:16 PM
Broken links, old wikis, inaccurate stickies, popular topics confusing and reconfusing for years...

Yes, that is a major problem. There just are not enough people to make everything work perfect. If other people's priorities do not match your own, you are free to contribute to areas needing more help. You don't want to spend the next 3 months fixing the wikis, merging all information into a more useable form, and deleting all the old posts/archives? Hmm sounds like everyone else is the source of your problems. EQEmu would be a lot better without them huh? We could enjoy a nice flowery front-page together, maybe have some forums and compete for a post-count?

I'm confused Narc, are you saying people should keep their suggestions to themselves?

Theeper
01-23-2008, 05:15 AM
I don't think he is saying not to suggest things. But, if you haven't ever contributed here, you haven't really earned the right to complain.

You have to understand, a lot of people dedicate a lot of time to keep this thing going for zero pay and we get several people each week doing nothing more than complaining that it's not easy enough for them.

So, when you're too lazy to look through old posts and see that these subjects have been beaten to death, people tend not to be so nice about it.

The guy who said "Lighten up and answer the questions" .. If I was a mod, he'd be banned.

narcberry
01-23-2008, 08:41 AM
I'm confused Narc, are you saying people should keep their suggestions to themselves?

I intended my post to sound informative and helpful. But I ended up being more rude than I wanted as I actually started typing. This was not directed at the OP. It was directed, poorly, only at flugel.

But as Theeper said, we don't care for selfish complaints. Suggestions are always welcome. Always. Help is even more welcome. Arrogant complaints from people posing as if the devs here somehow owe them... well that just pisses me off, and I'm not even a dev.

mattmeck
01-23-2008, 10:06 AM
I don't think he is saying not to suggest things. But, if you haven't ever contributed here, you haven't really earned the right to complain.

You have to understand, a lot of people dedicate a lot of time to keep this thing going for zero pay and we get several people each week doing nothing more than complaining that it's not easy enough for them.

So, when you're too lazy to look through old posts and see that these subjects have been beaten to death, people tend not to be so nice about it.

The guy who said "Lighten up and answer the questions" .. If I was a mod, he'd be banned.

QFT, however im not half the ass some people make me out to be, so no bannage today.... maybe tomorrow tho!

And as to broken links... thats not me.. i dont have access, neither does any admin or mod... take it to the Devs

as to the broken wiki... yell at yourself, its a community run so thats your fault not mine.

Bad stickies?? how the hell are we sopose to know its bad unless someone tells us... I dont get paid one red cent to look at all the old posts... reading all the new ones is all i said i would do.

I am here for several things... keep the spam out, keep the drama down... keep the spam out oh and keep the spam out. No where does it say i have to give ever new person a blow job to make them happy... and if people dont like it fuck them they can go elsewhere.

narcberry
01-23-2008, 10:17 AM
I wish you'd just come out and say what you really feel, Mattmeck.

EliseusKayne
01-23-2008, 07:13 PM
needs more good important threads actually stickied or something, really does help

EliseusKayne
01-23-2008, 07:15 PM

O and probably why your not a mod

devn00b
01-24-2008, 10:09 AM
No where does it say i have to give ever new person a blow job to make them happy... and if people dont like it fuck them they can go elsewhere.

So true mattmeck...your here to just give me blowjobs...and the occasional reach around.

Listen newbs, EQEMu was never will never be designed to cater to those that cant be bothered to use the search feature, or those that dont know what the fuck things like c++, perl, mysql are. If you cant fucking take the time to learn this shit on your own your best off staying on eq live.