PDA

View Full Version : We Must Resist

BWStripes
02-18-2008, 06:51 AM
I've been harping on for a while that the way resistances are checked are way off live.
I've done some playing with the ruleset to get my server to behave more live-like, but it still doesn't feel right. Has anyone happened upon the perfect figures for it? I've tried using a few ResistMod and ResistChance settings, but they don't seem to behave similar to live.
I know live changed resists massively since unexpanded EQ, but I actually like the system live now has :)

From the comments ~2851 in spells.cpp, is a base 40MR really equivalent to a 16% chance to resist? Also, I have to assume:
- This if you are the same level as a mob.
- This is for a spell (example) with a reistance modifier of 0.

Does anyone have any reference or figures? I'd like to tinker with this in order to get it work a little better, but evidence would be useful ;)

The emulator has two issues here, that I can determine. The first is that the level-based resistance scaling for PCs is off.
Secondly, any actual resistance you have feels like it is distilled to the point where the code feels like it isn't doing the resist roll properly.

With a default (PEQ) ruleset, go find any caster mob - find one as low as you can, the fading spectre in Tox is a fun one - with an average 65 toon, say, 80-120 resists. The mob will be able to land most spells. This just doesn't happen on live ;)

That aside, the only issue I could immediately fix to my liking was the Fear Resistance AA. It is currently a seperate 'bonus' roll, rather than a bonus added to the overall resist roll. I changed it to the latter and it seems a lot more useful.

Re-writing Coldain Ring 7

Kambic
02-18-2008, 01:40 PM
I'll offer all I can (not much). In PvP years ago, every level difference added or subtracted 5 from the resist roll. So a level 20 suffered a -25 MR penalty to a level 25, and the level 25 gained a +25 advantage over the level 20. There were also some floors and ceilings to this rule, I think everything had a minimum of a 5% chance to resist, and a maximum of a 95% chance to land, regardless of level differences or resist stats.

These rules were different than against NPC's (as far as I know), but they made a lot more sense in my mind, and I always thought they were a lot more balanced for battles; it would be interesting to have a server with that ruleset on.

I could probably dig around on some other websites to find out exactly how that worked back in the day (maybe it is the same way now, I don't know; maybe this code even was for PvE also, not sure).

As far as how those numbers played into the chance or resist, or the percent of damage resist (in the case of DD's, DoT's, etc), I really don't know.