PDA

View Full Version : S3D / Map File Format?

Necreia
03-30-2008, 01:00 PM
I'm working on a small project, and have the following question:

Does anyone happen to have a reference to or hard copy of the Everquest map / S3D file spec? I'm looking to load in an Everquest map in full and use it in another game engine just to play around.

I opened up OpenZone and looked at the 3SD.pas but have two problems with that direction.
1) My pascal is fairly week (mostly a C/C++ developer)- so it takes a while to break it down.
2) I want to be sure there is no other information missing
3) It's only lightly commented.

The old sources that I would expect this format to be posted on don't exist anymore for whatever reason, and running up really dry on searches.

mattmeck
03-30-2008, 01:28 PM
Editing EQ maps is something this community has stayed away from, would be too easy for someone to make a tunnel where one dont go, or bridges in POA etc.

Necreia
03-30-2008, 01:47 PM
I see-- Reasonable concern.

So, that means that there is no server-side boundry checking? That would make sense due to the expensive nature of such a check.

Hmmm, well that really hampers my project a bit. Would posting/linking the format on the forums violate any rules, making this request futile? I'm not looking to edit the maps at all, just copy them into another format.

Is there a converter (consumeable as a library) that turns the map into a consumeable and documented third party format?

ChaosSlayer
03-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Editing EQ maps is something this community has stayed away from, would be too easy for someone to make a tunnel where one dont go, or bridges in POA etc.

won't this cuase you to fall below world on server side, and be force relocated to safe spot?
just curious

GeorgeS
03-30-2008, 02:26 PM
You can convert the zone into a .obj 3D file. (no textures) with zoneconverter - if that helps.

GeorgeS

I see-- Reasonable concern.

So, that means that there is no server-side boundry checking? That would make sense due to the expensive nature of such a check.

Hmmm, well that really hampers my project a bit. Would posting/linking the format on the forums violate any rules, making this request futile? I'm not looking to edit the maps at all, just copy them into another format.

Is there a converter (consumeable as a library) that turns the map into a consumeable and documented third party format?

Necreia
04-05-2008, 10:09 PM
Thanks George!

Does anyone happen to have a copy of eqengine or openEQ floating around?

AndMetal
04-06-2008, 12:44 AM
Does anyone happen to have a copy of eqengine or openEQ floating around?

Thanks to archive.org, you can still download what looks to be the source for OpenEQ: http://web.archive.org/web/20050212001229/http://home.archshadow.com/~daeken/openeq.tar.bz2

Necreia
04-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Perfect! Thanks, this will be enough.

After looking at that and openzone, it's got enough information via code to complete the exporter.

Appreciate the help!

Kayot
04-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Bridges in POA, now that would be something.

What I'd like is a release of PoK with a huge reduction in poly counts, mainly because PEQ doesn't set the clip down and fog up in that area.