PDA

View Full Version : Current Status of EQEMU

djeryv
04-05-2008, 02:22 PM
I am new to this group and I have logged into a couple of servers here. I looked around the forums and mainly found stuff about "developer status" and of what "needs" to be fixed. I am really wanting to get a sense of the current release of EQEMU and ProjectEQ together.

1. If I setup my own server (with ProjectEQ), is the emulator just "kinda good"? Does the emulator do about 80% of Sony's? I am looking for a guesstimate.

2. Do I have to allow GM commands to players because there is something lacking in the emulator or do some of these servers give GM commands to players for other reasons?

3. Can I take the current release and have a decent playing experience to a high level?

4. Is ProjectEQ so accurate that I probably cannot solo after awhile.

5. I currently run a RunUO server for my friends and I and I really don't have to do any GM work except to add custom content. Is the experience similar if I run a EQ server? Do I constantly have to fix things on the fly if I run ProjectEQ?

Like I said, I did search the forums to try to find answers to these questions. I mainly got results about BOTS and GM COMMANDS and could not tell if the server admin was just twinking the server or if it was a necessity. I have to say, the 30 minutes I did run around on ProjectEQ's server was pretty cool.

- Djeryv

mattmeck
04-05-2008, 03:58 PM
It is hard to compare EQEmu to SOE,

PEQ has everything up to POP spawned but its not 100% correct, there is thousands of quests in, but there is hundreds of thousands missing. All spells are in but not all work, AA's are in but dont all work.

If you are looking for live and an easy play time head to live.

If you are looking for a lot of work and time making something of your own EQEmu is for you.

unknownhost
04-05-2008, 08:48 PM
1. it will be as good as you make it. if you just freshly install Angelox or PEQs database you will have a very playable server all the way up to pop for PEQ and not sure where angelox goes up to exactly as its more classicly oriented but it is also veryvery well done. both databases doubtless have thousands of hours of work put into them.

2. nope, all adjustable in the mysql database

3. yep, definately.

4. yes again. you can solo alot further than you ever could on live (giving the level of equipment available naturally, which isnt quite as far along as live with all those expansions past planes of power.)

5. with ya on the RunUO experience here as well. great stuff. =) let me say im not nearly or even anywhere close to as experienced with Eqemu as most here but from my limited experience the biggest hangups for GMs on any eqemu on a daily basis are... players stuck somwhere,rarely randomly poofing items, missing corpses, and items being eatten on quest turn ins with reward not comming forth. experienced hardly any of these bugs myself i must say btw! they seem to effect some folks more than others though and i would think most are due to lag.

all in all, the Eq Emu ongoing project has evolved into what i would call a quite stable highly playable EQ game experienced.

hope this helped a lil bro.

djeryv
04-06-2008, 06:55 AM
Thanks unknownhost, that was exactly what I was wondering. I have not payed to play a MMORPG for a good 8 years. I have only played EQ for the first couple of years in its release and I still had dial up at the time. After that, I always had a UO server of my own and with the comments you made, I think I am gonna setup an EQ server this week.

Thanks again.

- Djeryv

djeryv
04-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Well, I installed my very own EQ server using MiniLogin and a handy PHP script to update IP addresses. I used PEQ's really handy installer and it took care of everything for me. The only problem I had was that I used MySQL 5.1 and the items would not load. I downgraded to MySQL 5.0.51 and it loaded fine. Now I am gonna setup a script to dump the user/account tables (probably every day) to back them up in case I crash.

- Djeryv