PDA

View Full Version : Simple Question

Grubbly
04-27-2008, 11:15 PM
Hello,
My friends and I are old EQ players that are thinking of reliving the glory days. I have been reading about how to set up my own server, but 1 simple question I havent found an answer to yet: Can you run the server and the game on the same computer if you are only looking at solo play, or at most 5 people?

Sorry if this is the wrong place. It's nice to see all the effort being put into original EQ still.

Thanks.

trevius
04-27-2008, 11:31 PM
You most certainly can! It all depends on how powerful your PC is. Of course, the more instances of EQ you run and the more player you have on the server, the more likely you are to have stability issues.

But, if you are only planning to run 1 instance of EQ (not multi boxing) and just a few players, you shouldn't have any issues.

Unless you are planning to do something specific, you probably don't even need to run your own server. There are plenty out there already to mess around on.

You can find a nice list of servers and their descriptions here:

http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24875

Setting up your own server is pretty easy. But customizing it or adding content is the hard part. If you want to play something like live, you would probably want to play on The Grand Creation. If you are looking for something different, there are many custom servers out there. You can normally see which ones are good by looking at how many players are on the server from the server list.

If you just want something private for your and your friends, then setting up a server with the standard AX or PEQ database should do just fine.