PDA

View Full Version : Stepping Away From This Project

WildcardX
04-28-2008, 01:58 AM
I recently decided to stop working on this project as a developer. I was asked by FNW to join the project developer team about a year and 6 months ago and in that time, I like to think I help move this project along by improving overall stability of the server code and adding many new features that were not a part of the code base. All that time, I did so while also working with Cavedude at PEQ on that database side and helping to integrate submitted code found on this board into the project code base. I believe I have done a good service for this project and I am proud of my accomplishments.

Unfortunately, I have been troubled by several factors that leads me to believe I can not do much more to continue moving this project forward in a way that would allow me to continue to be proud of my work here. As such, I have decided to move on to some new work I am excited about.

I want to thank Doodman and FNW for giving me the opportunity to write the code I did here and I want to especially thank Cavedude for being such a superb project partner as well as a friend. He has done great work at PEQ and I hope everyone in the community continues to be thankful for his service.

I hope you all have enjoyed my contributions and I hope the project can find a way to continue to move forward, despite the many challenges it faces. In my honest opinion, I believe this project needs to improve, in part, on the following areas (this is not meant to be a "FU" to anyone, but just my last thoughts about this project given my significant experience with it):

1. This project needs to be a 100% open source project in every way and managed as such.

2. More development talent ought to be added to the team. Especially people with a talent for assembly to identify additional opcodes for the EQ client.

3. The project shouldn't be operated in such a way that any single developer or person can become a single point of fault. It should be alright for any developer to resign and move on and not have the community worry the project has just died.

4. The project team ought to become more transparent than it is or has been.

I've enjoyed my time here and I hope you all have enjoyed my contributions and no one here will have cause to flame me after I press the "post" button.

:-)

TheLieka
04-28-2008, 09:37 AM
:(

Shit.

Dax

cole89103
04-28-2008, 09:50 AM
take care wildcardx

I will say the project will never be fully opensource doodman will never release the ls source code but other then that i agree with everything you said good luck on your new projects

cavedude
04-28-2008, 09:58 AM
Thank you for your very kind words. Right back at ya!

So_1337
04-28-2008, 10:31 AM
Your fixes and code have always been top-notch, and I've never once seen you behave any way other than 100% professional.

It's a shame to see you on your way out, but it sounds like your talent won't go to waste; you'll just be putting it forth elsewhere, which is fantastic :) You're very good, and it's great to hear you'll have something else to keep your mind busy!

Thank you for all that you've done. Take care, boss.

Scorpious2k
04-28-2008, 12:11 PM
You will be missed.

Congdar
04-28-2008, 12:35 PM
A huge loss. Maybe one day you will "Step back to this project" as the door is not closed, but left open.

trevius
04-28-2008, 04:35 PM
Thanks for all of the work you have done for this project. The emulator has come a VERY long way in the past couple of years and you played a large part in that.

I am glad you are moving to something else that excites you. Sounds like fun, and you certainly deserve it. But, if you ever get bored there, you know you are more than welcome back at any time :)

Andrew80k
04-28-2008, 04:40 PM
I haven't been here that long but just looking at the changelog gives an idea of the impact you've had on the emu. Indeed, this is a huge loss to the project, but we all move on when it stops being fun. Enjoy your next project.

Gonner
04-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Tiss a sad day but best wishes Wild. Your code has helped many and will continue to do so. And much like Congdar said. The door is not closed if you ever decide to come back. Thank you.

Gonner.