PDA

View Full Version : Preferred Servers

aknosis
05-31-2008, 01:29 AM
Who mandates what servers are preferred? I see plenty non preferred servers that have 100+ people on them.. Is there a possibility to 'rank up' a server based on average population?

Or is there already some scheme in place?

quadroplex
05-31-2008, 04:45 AM
As I understand it, Doodman is the person in charge of the LoginServer so, my suggestion is to ask him about it.

trevius
05-31-2008, 04:57 AM
Ya, that is my understanding as well.

The main reason there are preferred servers and some that aren't that are popular is because the preferred ones have been around for years. Most of the popular non-preferred have either only been around a short time (6 months or less), or have been up before and down for extended amounts of time and back up again.

The only exception are th CEQ servers, which are Chinese and for the most part, they don't speak on these forums or affiliate with the project much more than just having a server on the list. I think Dragon Soul is one of the most popular of all servers and Matrix is fairly popular as well, but both are Chinese.

Other than those 2, Zebuxoruk, EZ Server, and my server (Storm Haven) are the ones I notice to be popular that aren't in the Preferred list.

Being on the Preferred list would be kinda cool, I admit, but my server is around max in how many players it can handle already (at least during peak hours). I think most of ours are, thought we are always working to increase performance to allow more players. Plus, I think most people scroll down the list to see how many are logged into each server and that is the best way to judge servers IMO. Some show buggy stats, but that is easy to figure out once you get on a server and do a /who all and no one is on.

If all of the top servers were put in preferred, I am sure none of us would complain lol. It would be nice to be at the top of the list, but it isn't really a huge deal to me anyway.

aknosis
05-31-2008, 09:40 AM
Yeah, there is no real benefit to it for the most part. I don't think most people login without having a general idea of what servers are out there, and even then I'm sure they look at the population to make some decisions anyways. I didn't know there was a foreign version being hosted, and I think it would be fair NOT to put someone into the preferred if say they "don't" contribute to some sort of development or to the community..? But does anyone know so what website they sell pp on so I can buy it and buy uber gear or pl ;p.

I also remember seeing legend servers when I've logged in before.

I think it would be nice to group the servers by type, custom, classic, live(peq), non-legit, and semi.. but I guess if I'm not going to rewrite the login server I may as well not hold my breathe :D