PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone want some custom zones?

Scorpious2k
06-04-2008, 07:50 PM
For those who don't know the Scorpious2k server, we have over 20 custom (not in EQLive) zones. I'm not talking about the way they are populated, I mean the ZONES are different - created with OpenZone and a lot of imagination.

For some time, I have wanted to find a way to release these to the community. I have decided to either:

1) make it a sub-project of the EQEmu project, and put it on sourceforge. The only problems with this is that we seem to have stopped using sourceforge (makes no sense to me) and that the devs with control of our sourceforge site seem to be in perpetual AFK.

2) Start my own sourceforge project, which has the advantage of not having to count on people who are not around, and gives some independence to it. I'm not sure how independant it should be.

NOTE: these also become available for the SimpleClient project.

I guess my question is, is there any interest? Would anyone want to work on new zones? Contribute zones they have created? Would anyone want to use these? Or am would I be wasting my time?

xxarthurxx
06-04-2008, 08:07 PM
I would be interested, Id love to see how others have set up their custom zones ect and varity is always nice :D

John Adams
06-05-2008, 12:49 AM
Agree, Scorp. I think you should open your own SVN if nothing else, and maybe keep a couple of admins assigned in case you fall off the planet. :)

Do these zones require "ZoneProxy"? I remember reading about that lonnnng ago, and it scared me away from ever making my own content with OpenZone. I tried once and made an OZ custom zone named "Nexus" and it worked pretty good... then, ADHD took over and next thing you know I am doing DB work elsewhere.

I like the work Sak was doing, and so far not convinced about SimpleClient (no offense - just never gave it a good whirl). If nothing, I'd love to learn how to "properly" create custom zones like this. In short, yes. Please. :)

Bulle
06-05-2008, 01:22 AM
Indeed I am interested Scorpious. I feel our community of world builders should share the work we do to a greater extent. At the moment there is not much custom content available "to pick and start from", there is pretty much only PEQ and Angelox DB.

Custom zone geometry is one thing we all could use. We could also start sharing some of our zone contents (not talking specifically about your zones here, we all have written some stuff on our own), custom quests etc. It is normal that server maintainers do not publish their whole world, and this is not what I am asking for. But when portions of a world contents became fairly well-known it may be time to share it, selectively.

One major problem for content sharing is the medium. Zone geometry files are whole, so that part is quite easy, it takes making the files available for download somewhere, with minimal instructions on how to put that to work. Content (DB, quest) is something else entirely.

My latest work on EQEmu was to write a wiki-based tool as a way of configuring (writing) content. The tool take scontent description from a wiki and generates the DB entries out of that. It would be a way to share, as the wiki part is very readable, and the generation works. But at the moment I have little time to devote to EQEmu so I have put it on hold.

People may want to ask what I have to share. I would like to get stuff, but what can I offer in return ? Well I do not have much, but I have written a few quests and tweaked some NPC drops for low-level adventuring. As I do not plan to run a public server for the moment I would have no problem sharing that with other content builders.

To sum up Scopious, new zones are very interesting and if you can make some of them available to us be sure you can count me among the grateful people who will look at them. I hope we can go further as time progresses, and that your initiative encourages our community to open some of our private gardens :)

Cripp
06-05-2008, 02:17 AM
definatly interested. just got into the whole OZ thing myself and this would help me figure some stuff out im sure.

Aramid
06-05-2008, 05:20 AM
Seriously, I really don't know why you need to ask :-D . Post up the zones and just watch the download counter roll up the numbers.

Scorpious2k
06-05-2008, 06:42 AM
Agree, Scorp. I think you should open your own SVN if nothing else, and maybe keep a couple of admins assigned in case you fall off the planet. :)

I was thinking the same thing. Well, not the planet/fall thing. Only thing that would take me away is my current computer (lack of) crisis, but that's another thread.

Do these zones require "ZoneProxy"? I remember reading about that lonnnng ago, and it scared me away from ever making my own content with OpenZone.

No, the way we use them is simply to replace existing zones. I selected the mmc*, ruj*, mir*, and guk* zones as a large block of them. We also used Nektropos and tutoriala. Basically, any zone you never plan on using "as-is" can be a custom zone.

I like the work Sak was doing, and so far not convinced about SimpleClient (no offense - just never gave it a good whirl).

Sak and I actually worked together to create a zone. He is very talented. I would hope we can drag him into this little project.

The zone we did is a city, called Copper City. It lies on the northern tip of our starting zones, the homeland islands... Basically, Copper City relaces both PoK and bazaar.

This is the only zone I will hold on to (until I have his permission to release it since he is co-designer)

If nothing, I'd love to learn how to "properly" create custom zones like this. In short, yes. Please. :)

I'm not sure about "properly design", but we have learned a lot with each zone we created.

quadroplex
06-05-2008, 08:02 AM
deffinatly interested.

As a side note just so everyone knows you can rename zones using s3d spy to rename all the wld files within a zone file you can also change textures, graphics and so forth, making it entirely possible to customize your server almost anyway you see fit!

Sakrateri
06-05-2008, 01:43 PM
Sure Scorp, You can give it out. I have no problems with letting others have zones. The only problem I have is that I start getting requests from people to let them have the scene files also and then that means they need all the textures and models also which you know can be rather time consuming and I also have to be careful because I am making what I hope to one day be a commercial MMO and some of my models are for that alone so I dont want to be giving my whole library away ( I make zones in 3dmax for my game but test them in EQ too!) lol. Anyway yes by all means release Copper City. I am also very sorry to hear about your bad luck and feel bad I cant do anything to help you out but I am starting a new life in a new country and its taking all I have to survive at the moment, I hope things look up for you soon.

Also I offered before to make any zones to replace EQ zones for people or even for SimpleClient and that offer still stands as long as no one wants my scene files too :O

Scorpious2k
06-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Sure Scorp, You can give it out. I have no problems with letting others have zones. The only problem I have is that I start getting requests from people to let them have the scene files also and then that means they need all the textures and models also which you know can be rather time consuming and I also have to be careful because I am making what I hope to one day be a commercial MMO and some of my models are for that alone so I dont want to be giving my whole library away ( I make zones in 3dmax for my game but test them in EQ too!) lol. Anyway yes by all means release Copper City.

Okay, two things.

FIRST: I want to give out the SCN file along with the *required* textures and meshes for that zone (or put together a package of textures, meshes and models for this project as an add-on for openzone). I would like people to be able to play around with what we have done, change it , and learn. I feel this will lead to more people doing zones, and then everyone benfits.

SECOND: I registered a project on sourceforge today. It will take a while to get approved, but when it does I can't imagine anyone else I would like to ask to be an admin on it first. Interested?

I am also very sorry to hear about your bad luck and feel bad I cant do anything to help you out but I am starting a new life in a new country and its taking all I have to survive at the moment, I hope things look up for you soon.

Thanks, and best wishes to you on your move. You didn't move to some strange country and have to learn a new language... like Canada did you?

Also I offered before to make any zones to replace EQ zones for people or even for SimpleClient and that offer still stands as long as no one wants my scene files too :O

With the new sourceforge project, there will be a central place for new zones, textures, meshes, etc to be shared.

John Adams
06-05-2008, 05:28 PM
You didn't move to some strange country and have to learn a new language... like Canada did you?
Truly a frightening thought indeed. Godspeed, Sakrateri.

Richardo
06-05-2008, 06:07 PM
Hey Scorp. You can give away the zone I gave you too by the way. :)

Scorpious2k
06-05-2008, 06:13 PM

Thanks, but I don't have the scn file or textures/meshes for it.

I am trying to keep it open source (as much as OZ has "source" for a zone)

Scorpious2k
06-05-2008, 06:37 PM
I found this, it will give a little preview of what I am talking about: http://scorpious2k.cafe150.com/ click the picture of the zones you want to see more about. I didn't have Homeland Islands in when i did this, so for those zones you will have to wait to see (or download the files and get on my server and collect your own screen shots :D

Scorpious2k
06-05-2008, 09:13 PM
Looks like we need a plan "B". I got this back from sourceforge:

Greetings, The project you are requesting is being rejected, as we have
determined that it is a content generating project, rather than a project
developing Open Source Software. SourceForge.net exists to allow projects a
development environment for creating Open Source Software. Its purpose is
not to host personal content or content which may take up our resources but
which no real software development may be realized. Based on the description
of the project you have provided us, your project is being rejected.
Thank you, SourceForge.net Support

Ideas anyone?

quadroplex
06-05-2008, 09:28 PM
google has free sbvn projects that are instantly created http://code.google.com/

quadroplex
06-05-2008, 09:29 PM
http://code.google.com/hosting/createProject

John Adams
06-06-2008, 12:34 AM
http://www.mmoforge.org/gf/

Another projects site that Ascent folks seem to use a lot. There's always emupedia... ~gufaws~

quadroplex
06-06-2008, 10:33 AM
you said that you replaced the bazaar and pok with copper city? Might I ask how you got the /bazaar and /barter commands to work in the new zone? i tried replacing the Baz and the commands didnt work outside of the actual bazaar zone

Scorpious2k
06-07-2008, 09:46 AM
you said that you replaced the bazaar and pok with copper city? Might I ask how you got the /bazaar and /barter commands to work in the new zone? i tried replacing the Baz and the commands didnt work outside of the actual bazaar zone

Does it work before?

I don't have any traders in the zone so all I get is the window opening.

quadroplex
06-07-2008, 09:48 AM
yeah if i replace the bazaar itself they work but if i try to use the zone i made for pok in place of the bazaar they dont work

Scorpious2k
06-07-2008, 09:53 AM
Sooooooo....

I've gone through what I have and have zipped up over 600 textures and over 350 meshes not distributed with OpenZone. These are needed for the zones I have, but will also give you budding world creators something more to work with.

If I had a computer I could set up SVN here, but the sites sent to me look like we can get around that little problem of mine. I think for finished zones, textures, etc., we should use simple zip files and downloads. Not everyone knows SVN and there really isn't a need to use it to distribute something that isn't changing.

I am working on a website when I am able to get on my daughter's computer. I plan on using it as the means to distribute the finished files, news about what is going on, and possibly a place to put forums for discussions.

quadroplex
06-07-2008, 09:56 AM
I think thats a pretty good idea just distributing them as zip files you could always put them on sourceforge as a release within the OZ files where the other stuff is for it. Of course you could throw them on mediafire or rapidshare or something too since both are free and what not

Im not sure if there are any solutions to run svn on a iis box but I have about 5 servers just sitting here waiting for use if that would help?

Scorpious2k
06-07-2008, 10:10 AM
yeah if i replace the bazaar itself they work but if i try to use the zone i made for pok in place of the bazaar they dont work

According to the server code, you should get the "bazaar welcome" message as long as the zone short name is bazaar.

quadroplex
06-07-2008, 10:11 AM
oh so you made coppercity bazaar that explains it lol

I did try changing that bit of the code to use load (its the zone I am using for testing) but it didnt work I think its something clientside that makes it only work in the bazzar

Scorpious2k
06-07-2008, 11:33 AM
oh so you made coppercity bazaar that explains it lol

I did try changing that bit of the code to use load (its the zone I am using for testing) but it didnt work I think its something clientside that makes it only work in the bazzar

Yes, I made it bazaar because I was aware of the server code and suspected (it seems correctly) that the client also had some restrictions along the same line.

quadroplex
06-07-2008, 03:01 PM
cant wait to see how you made buildings mine never turn out very well its one of the parts of making zones that I havetn quite gotten down yet,that and trees lol

Scorpious2k
06-07-2008, 06:52 PM
I have the website started and the textures/meshes ready for download:

http://webpages.charter.net/s2k

Cripp
06-07-2008, 07:33 PM
nice, going to take a look at these tonight :)

i have some webspace you can use too, if you need scorp.
let me know, and thanks :)

quadroplex
06-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Do you use 3ds to make your zones and meshes?

The reason i ask is i downloaded the meshes and textures put them in the appropriate oz lib folders and some of the meshes have no texture Im just wondering if Im doing something wrong or if some just got missed

Scorpious2k
06-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Do you use 3ds to make your zones and meshes?

The reason i ask is i downloaded the meshes and textures put them in the appropriate oz lib folders and some of the meshes have no texture Im just wondering if Im doing something wrong or if some just got missed

Do you have all the OpenZone textures downloaded?

quadroplex
06-07-2008, 09:14 PM
yeah as far as i am aware ill double check an example is copwal1 and 2 have no texture

quadroplex
06-07-2008, 09:17 PM
yeah i have all 5 texture packs

quadroplex
06-07-2008, 09:21 PM
and all 6 of your texture packs forgot to mention that sorry lol

Scorpious2k
06-07-2008, 09:22 PM
yeah as far as i am aware ill double check an example is copwal1 and 2 have no texture

I just checked those, and I don't have the textures for them either. They may have been sent by Sakrateri when he was working on Copper City... maybe something he planned to use but didn't

quadroplex
06-07-2008, 09:25 PM
being that i downloaded the actual zone files cause i was going to try out yourserver, couldnt i just extract the textures from the s3d files with s3d spy?

Scorpious2k
06-07-2008, 09:37 PM
being that i downloaded the actual zone files cause i was going to try out yourserver, couldnt i just extract the textures from the s3d files with s3d spy?

If I don't have them, they aren't there. And those meshes weren't used.

Rathora
06-07-2008, 09:52 PM
I wouldn't mind helping with this either...

Scorpious2k
06-07-2008, 11:02 PM
I wouldn't mind helping with this either...

Jump in, join in, and have fun!

Scorpious2k
06-07-2008, 11:03 PM
I now have screen shots in for the Homeland Islands on the website.

quadroplex
06-07-2008, 11:05 PM
while we are on the topic is there a way to take one of these meshes and export it to 3dsmax for editing? ive been meaning to ask anyway as even some of the default meshes are missing textures lol (the brick buildings for instance) Mainly im wondering if i can use these to make an entire zone in 3dsmax and then export it afterwards to oz

Scorpious2k
06-07-2008, 11:12 PM
I don't use 3ds max, I use anim8tor.

I wouldn't know, I do models outside OZ, and import them from 3ds format to use in OZ where I do most of the actual zone work.

quadroplex
06-07-2008, 11:17 PM
I downloaded anim8or not real sure if i can import meshes in it though I do know you cant import them to 3dsmax now LOL I checked

quadroplex
06-08-2008, 08:45 AM
I am currently adding a mirror for all openzone, other zone creation tools, textures meshes and other related files as well, Ill post the link as soon as its all uploaded and organized

quadroplex
06-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Link Removed

quadroplex
06-08-2008, 10:29 AM
ugh Editing rules... lol

I tried to add just about everything you need all the texture packs the scene pack meshes plus the custom stuff from scorpious2k theres also anim8or oz and other tools in there as well, I have a TON more textures that ive been collecting and they will be there as well as soon as i get a chance to package them up and upload them

I hope this helps

eq4me
06-08-2008, 10:39 AM
I might be wrong but the files 3ds.part1-4.rar sound like warez to me.

quadroplex
06-08-2008, 10:43 AM
your indeed wrong lol its a trial version the same one you can download from download.com and other mirrors its not cracked its a 30 day trial now as i was saying... and those werent supposed to be in there anyway out them in the wrong folder those arent for the general public they are for the zone builders on my server

Ive removed the original texture archives and im uploading my own i added textures to fix some of the mesh issues with the buildings that come with oz ( some were missing) the brick bank tavern and store or whatever it is now are fully textured if you use the textures I am uploading, I also want ot credit GeorgeS There are the textures from his world editor in there as well and a few i scrounged up from royalty free sites as well

the textures include

Scorpious2k's Custom textures
GeorgeS UWE Textures( As ive been using his tool as well to make zones and import them)
The base Textures for Openzone
Some textures from royalty free sites
Some added textures for fixing the meshing issues with some of the original meshes

quadroplex
06-08-2008, 10:53 AM
BTW the new texture packs will be up in about 42 minutes its a multipart rar archive so you need all of them to extract the archive( I didnt feel like seperating it up and what not )

As I go through all the mesh files and find more missing textures ill add them

Scorpious2k
06-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Nektropos zones are online and ready for download

Windcatcher
06-08-2008, 02:21 PM
Hey Scorp, would you be interested in my Lelembeth zone?

quadroplex
06-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Just so everyone knows I just made a new thread in the OZ Q/A forum for zone submissions to be posted there ( yeah i talked to scorp about it first ) Itll make it easier to get organized till theres a set submission system in place i think if there is even gunna be one lol

Scorpious2k
06-08-2008, 02:41 PM
Hey Scorp, would you be interested in my Lelembeth zone?

Absolutely. I was just thinking about including your original zones that I modified, and that would fit right in!

Scorpious2k
06-08-2008, 04:57 PM
The Mars zones are now online and available for download.

quadroplex
06-09-2008, 11:41 AM
I am reuploading my new texture pack to my mediafire account it has all of georges' convertex textures( I converted them last night too lmao) and my entire meshes directory which also has converted meshes from his app all nice and ready for use in OZ! I will post here when the files are uploaded again the textures are a multipart rar file ( had to do it as the file would be like 300 megs big now) just download them all and extract all the textures to your oz textures folder overwrite as needed

Details of texture pack:
1803 textures

Credits...
Scorpious2k
GeorgeS
Windcatcher
Sakretari

details of meshes:
780 Meshes
Credits...
Scorpious2k
GeorgeS
Windcatcher
Sakretari

I highly reccomend everyone grab these when I post they are ready as they will be needed for any zones I post and will be VERY USefull in further zone creation.

quadroplex
06-09-2008, 01:59 PM
the new mesh and texture packs are up

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=afd9c30dcad3a17b7069484bded33bcdec9fb53c 81b778f5

Scorpious2k
06-09-2008, 11:36 PM
The Juno zones are now online and available for download.

Is anyone downloading these? Looking at them? Just curious, since I haven't seen any feedback yet.

quadroplex
06-10-2008, 12:23 AM
ive gotten em but havent used them yet been working on the textures and mesh stuff lol

quadroplex
06-10-2008, 12:32 AM
wow man these are fricken sweet, how did you import the dem's? if possible could you get someone to make a tutorial on it?

quadroplex
06-10-2008, 12:49 AM
would it be alright if i started exporting the objects in these zones that are not in the meshes you posted and made another mesh pack scorp? Or are they propriatery so to speak?

As you can guess ive kind of been trying to take care of the resources end of the zone making process for people lol

Scorpious2k
06-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Website is now at http://zones.2fear.com.

How could I resist a name like that??

quadroplex
06-11-2008, 01:56 AM
im drollin here any eta on the last zones?

Scorpious2k
06-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Manhattan zones are online and ready to download.

quadroplex
06-11-2008, 11:48 AM
WOOOO you rock!

quadroplex
06-11-2008, 11:49 AM
ummmm where? LOL i checked both and the buttons to dl them dont work?

Scorpious2k
06-11-2008, 11:52 AM
You probably are looking at a cached version of the page, try refreshing/reloading it.

quadroplex
06-11-2008, 11:55 AM
its the url redirect the old site link works fine!

Scorpious2k
06-11-2008, 01:10 PM
It's been pointed out that I got a little careless with my sql entries and the zone.sql files have errors.. The correct sql for each zone is:

Nektropis is correct in the zip file.

Mars: REPLACE INTO zone values ('ruja',NULL,'Mars Sector One',909,-2407,-194,0,0,0,230,0,0,0,'',-2030,1500,2000,500,2000,0,0,0,1,255,0.75,0.4,2,0,0 ,0,450,450,0,0,0,500,2000,0,0,0,500,2000,0,0,0,500 ,2000,'',1,1,1,1);
REPLACE INTO zone values ('rujb',NULL,'Mars Sector Two',0,0,-439.3,0,0,0,235,0,0,0,'',-2030,1500,2000,500,2000,0,0,0,1,255,0.75,0.4,2,0,0 ,0,450,450,0,0,0,500,2000,0,0,0,500,2000,0,0,0,500 ,2000,'',1,1,1,1);
REPLACE INTO zone values ('rujd',NULL,'Mars Sector Three',-362.05,1279.76,-95.25,0,0,0,245,0,0,0,'',-2030,1500,2000,500,2000,0,0,0,1,255,0.75,0.4,2,0,0 ,0,450,450,0,0,0,500,2000,0,0,0,500,2000,0,0,0,500 ,2000,'',1,1,1,1);

Juno: REPLACE INTO zone values ('ruje',NULL,'Juno - Southeast',-1835,209,-1460.9,0,0,0,250,0,0,1,'',-2030,1500,2000,500,2000,0,0,0,1,255,0.75,0.4,2,0,0 ,0,450,450,0,0,0,500,2000,0,0,0,500,2000,0,0,0,500 ,2000,'',1,1,1,1};
REPLACE INTO zone values ('rujf',NULL,'Juno - Southwest',1700,2600,-1027.4,0,0,0,255,0,0,1,'',-2030,1500,2000,500,2000,0,0,0,1,255,0.75,0.4,2,0,0 ,0,450,450,0,0,0,500,2000,0,0,0,500,2000,0,0,0,500 ,2000,'',1,1,1,1};
REPLACE INTO zone values ('rujg',NULL,'Juno - Northwest',-3630,-2695,-1169,0,0,0,260,0,0,1,'',-2030,1500,2000,500,2000,0,0,0,1,255,0.75,0.4,2,0,0 ,0,450,450,0,0,0,500,2000,0,0,0,500,2000,0,0,0,500 ,2000,'',1,1,1,1};
REPLACE INTO zone values ('rujh',NULL,'Juno - Northeast',4952,-2047,-1224,0,0,0,265,0,0,1,'',-2300,1500,2000,500,2000,0,0,0,1,255,0.75,0.4,2,0,0 ,0,450,450,0,0,0,500,2000,0,0,0,500,2000,0,0,0,500 ,2000,'',1,1,1,1};

Manhattan: REPLACE INTO zone values ('ruji',NULL,'South Manhattan',2475,-2773,-190,0,0,0,269,0,0,1,'',-2030,1500,2000,500,2000,0,0,0,1,255,0.75,0.4,2,0,0 ,0,450,450,0,0,0,500,2000,0,0,0,500,2000,0,0,0,500 ,2000,'',1,1,1,1);
REPLACE INTO zone values ('rujj',NULL,'North Manhattan',352,1286,-13.9,0,0,0,273,0,0,1,'',-2030,1500,2000,500,2000,0,0,0,1,255,0.75,0.4,2,0,0 ,0,450,450,0,0,0,500,2000,0,0,0,500,2000,0,0,0,500 ,2000,'',1,1,1,1);

Sorry aboiut the errors. I will have updated versions up later.

Scorpious2k
06-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Changes are uploaded and online.

The DB I am using is 1108, so you may have to add a ,1 at the end of the zone sql. I assume that is within most serverOp's abilities :P

Scorpious2k
06-11-2008, 03:37 PM
Homeland Island zones are now online and available for download.

Scorpious2k
06-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Copper City is now online and ready for download.

Rathora
06-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Jump in, join in, and have fun!

And I shall :)

quadroplex
06-12-2008, 09:13 PM
It should be mentioned that if you use scorpious2k's zones youll need to delete the bazaar.eqg and tutorialb.eqg files

nosfentora
06-13-2008, 08:39 AM
Is it possible to add these as 'new' zones without overwriting old zones? I tried adding copper city as a new zone, adjusting the values in the sql to make it a new zone, and inserted it into my db, changed the names of the files to ccity.xxx, restarted my server and logged in. I did #zone ccity and nothing happened - it didn't give me an error, but it didn't zone either. any thoughts?

i was thinking if i could get these added as new zones, i could make them accessable via quest or npc - kind of like tutorial.

Scorpious2k
06-13-2008, 08:46 AM
Is it possible to add these as 'new' zones without overwriting old zones? I tried adding copper city as a new zone, adjusting the values in the sql to make it a new zone, and inserted it into my db. restarted my server and logged in. I did #zone ccity and nothing happened - it didn't give me an error, but it didn't zone either. any thoughts?

i was thinking if i could get these added as new zones, i could make them accessable via quest or npc - kind of like tutorial.

The list of short names for zones is hard coded into the client, so you can't add a new name. It will always be a trade-off, one existing zone for a new one.

There are some zones that are in the client but not used in the game: tutorial, aviak, tutoriala, tutorialb, nektropos, arttest, and probably others. So you could technically use these without affecting the game or taking a zone used in live.

The best way to find these is to match short_name from the DB zone table with files in your EQ folder.

Scorpious2k
06-13-2008, 08:50 AM
It should be mentioned that if you use scorpious2k's zones youll need to delete the bazaar.eqg and tutorialb.eqg files

I just rename them with .old on the end.

This does bring up a point. The client always looks for <short_name>.eqg first when loading a zone, if it doesn't find it it looks for <short_name>.s3d - so if you add a new zone (s3d) and there is one with the same name ending in eqg, it will ignore the new one until you either rename or delete the eqg one.

nosfentora
06-13-2008, 09:59 AM
The list of short names for zones is hard coded into the client, so you can't add a new name. It will always be a trade-off, one existing zone for a new one.

There are some zones that are in the client but not used in the game: tutorial, aviak, tutoriala, tutorialb, nektropos, arttest, and probably others. So you could technically use these without affecting the game or taking a zone used in live.

The best way to find these is to match short_name from the DB zone table with files in your EQ folder.

That definitely answers my question. I'll give that a whirl.
Thanks!

Scorpious2k
06-13-2008, 08:44 PM

I thought about this and that zone is too awesome to not make available even without source. So I will set up a separate category for zones without source.

Thank you Richardo!

Scorpious2k
06-13-2008, 08:50 PM
Richardo's Sunset Home zone is now online and available for download.

quadroplex
06-13-2008, 11:20 PM
Im having some issues with manhattan, juno and nektropos and Tutorialb...

The zone lines when you hit them try zoning me into "Unknown zone" and puts me back to the zone in point of the zone im in, and sometimes right on the zoneline causing a neverending loop of zoning...

Scorpious2k
06-14-2008, 09:08 AM
Im having some issues with manhattan, juno and nektropos and Tutorialb...

The zone lines when you hit them try zoning me into "Unknown zone" and puts me back to the zone in point of the zone im in, and sometimes right on the zoneline causing a neverending loop of zoning...

Did you restart the server and making the changes?

Can you paste the numbers from the DB - select * from zone_points where zone like 'ruj%';

That would give manhattan and juno (and others) if you used the same zones we did.

quadroplex
06-14-2008, 11:52 AM
INSERT INTO zone_points (id, zone, number, y, x, z, heading, target_y, target_x, target_z, target_heading, zoneinst, target_zone_id, buffer) VALUES
(1468, 'ruja', 1, 1750, -288, -180, 1354, 709, -541.1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 235),
(1469, 'rujb', 2, -83, 1476, -259, 0, 0, -111, 0, 0, 0, 0, 230),
(1470, 'rujb', 1, -83, 1476, -259, 1131, 968, -710, 0, 0, 0, 0, 245),
(1471, 'rujd', 1, 1136, 921, -700, -1423, -2567, -265, 0, 0, 0, 0, 235),
(1472, 'ruje', 2, 4953, -5200, -1000, -5295, -5030, -1063.9, 64, 0, 0, 0, 255),
(1473, 'ruje', 1, -300, 5657, -1000, 270, -4550, -90.3, 0, 0, 0, 0, 265),
(1474, 'rujf', 2, -5570, -5200, -1000, 4831.7, -5269.2, -1061, 192, 0, 0, 0, 250),
(1475, 'rujf', 1, 3900, 5920, -1000, 3342, -5862, -1187, 128, 0, 0, 0, 260),
(1476, 'rujg', 2, 3350, -5888, -1000, 3474, 5862, -1197, 128, 0, 0, 0, 255),
(1477, 'rujg', 1, -5696, 1100, -1000, 5900, 925, -1198, 192, 0, 0, 0, 265),
(1478, 'rujh', 1, 450, -5253, -1000, -178, 5182, -308, 128, 0, 0, 0, 250),
(1479, 'rujh', 2, 6015, 1000, -1000, -5439, 1027, -1141, 92, 0, 0, 0, 260),
(1484, 'rujj', 1, 929, 0, 0, 999999, 910, 999999, 999, 0, 0, 0, 269),
(1485, 'ruji', 1, 929, 0, 0, 999999, 940, 999999, 999, 0, 0, 0, 273);

Scorpious2k
06-14-2008, 12:54 PM
INSERT INTO zone_points (id, zone, number, y, x, z, heading, target_y, target_x, target_z, target_heading, zoneinst, target_zone_id, buffer)

In my DB the order is x, y, z and target_x, target_y, target_z. See below:

+-------+------+--------+-------+-------+-------+----------+----------+----------+----------------+---------+----------+--------+----------------+
| id | zone | number | x | y | z | target_x | target_y | target_z | target_heading | heading | zoneinst | buffer | target_zone_id |
+-------+------+--------+-------+-------+-------+----------+----------+----------+----------------+---------+----------+--------+----------------+
| 1000 | ruja | 1 | 1750 | -288 | -180 | 1354 | 709 | -541.1 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 235 |
| 1005 | rujb | 1 | -83 | 1476 | -259 | 1131 | 968 | -710 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 245 |
| 1001 | rujb | 2 | -83 | 1476 | -259 | 0 | 0 | -111 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 230 |
| 1010 | rujd | 1 | 1136 | 921 | -700 | -1423 | -2567 | -265 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 235 |
| 1003 | ruje | 1 | -300 | 5657 | -1000 | 270 | -4550 | -90.3 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 265 |
| 1002 | ruje | 2 | 4953 | -5200 | -1000 | -5295 | -5030 | -1063.9 | 64 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 255 |
| 1004 | rujf | 2 | -5570 | -5200 | -1000 | 4831.7 | -5269.2 | -1061 | 192 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 250 |
| 1006 | rujf | 1 | 3900 | 5920 | -1000 | 3342 | -5862 | -1187 | 128 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 260 |
| 1007 | rujg | 2 | 3350 | -5888 | -1000 | 3474 | 5862 | -1197 | 128 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 255 |
| 1009 | rujg | 1 | -5696 | 1100 | -1000 | 5900 | 925 | -1198 | 192 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 265 |
| 1013 | rujh | 2 | 6015 | 1000 | -1000 | -5439 | 1027 | -1141 | 92 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 260 |
| 1012 | rujh | 1 | 450 | -5253 | -1000 | -178 | 5182 | -308 | 128 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 250 |
| 10018 | ruji | 1 | 929 | 0 | 0 | 999999 | 940 | 999999 | 999 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 273 |
| 10019 | rujj | 1 | 929 | 0 | 0 | 999999 | 910 | 999999 | 999 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 269 |

So the x/y and target_x/target_y values need to be reversed.

quadroplex
06-14-2008, 01:00 PM
ahh thanks ironicly lol all idid was use your sql files so i have no idea how that one happened

quadroplex
06-14-2008, 01:18 PM
actually the db structure is y,x,z ? Dont uinderstand lol now im really confused

quadroplex
06-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Foiund the problem!

All my target_zone fields are set to 0

buffer and targetzone got swapped when i ran the sql queries that was the problem

quadroplex
06-16-2008, 06:10 AM
In the screenshots of some of the zones i saw some custom creatures any chance any of those source files are going to be released as well or do the designers of those want to keep those to themselves?

Scorpious2k
06-16-2008, 06:39 AM
The only custom creature we used is one that comes with OpenZone. All the rest are eqlive.

quadroplex
06-16-2008, 06:48 AM
how can you tell what models are stored in what zone ?

Thovar
01-07-2010, 09:16 PM
i know, kinda an old thread, any chance of some updated links? I am mostly curious if these files would be the completed or the files used with openzone/gmax/3dsmax ??? either way it works for me

I would LOVE to see what you created since I am trying to create a couple of zones using ones in the database that do not exist, namely Nektropos and Neriak D.

I am learning how to use Gmax and some real examples would be nice, since I dont want to create something and have it be too small for someone to fit into or just way to large.

thanks in advance if they are given, if not, no biggie.

provocating
01-11-2010, 12:30 AM
Count me in as being interested. I will try to read through this thread ASAP.

provocating
01-11-2010, 11:22 PM
So all of the download links appear to be dead, are these files not longer available ?

Secrets
01-12-2010, 12:33 AM
So all of the download links appear to be dead, are these files not longer available ?

It's a 1-year old thread, so i'd assume so.

provocating
01-12-2010, 12:38 AM
Well there was talk of a Google Code share, that is why I was wondering.

Scorpious2k
01-13-2010, 10:05 PM
Is this what you are looking for?

Links:

MESHES (http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=893231224ab25a737069484bded33bcd10d790c4 04eeb307)

TEXTURES (http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=893231224ab25a737069484bded33bcd6df54e87 d4b6c62d)

ZONES (http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=893231224ab25a73ab1eab3e9fa335ca41d61549 2ca49086)

provocating
01-13-2010, 11:44 PM
Yes, thank you, thank you.

provocating
01-14-2010, 12:31 AM
What are the difference in the compressed files that end in SOp ?

I noticed when I tried sourcing in the SQL, there were errors.

Scorpious2k
01-14-2010, 11:23 AM
SOp files are for server ops, it contains the source so they can be changed. The others are just the files to play with.

What kinds of errors are you seeing with the SQL?

Secrets
01-14-2010, 02:37 PM
I noticed when I tried sourcing in the SQL, there were errors.

Likely there are going to be errors with the SQL since the schema has changed for things such as doors since 6.2 DR6.

You'll just have to go through the changelog and see what things were added, and add them in the query accordingly.

patience
01-23-2010, 12:57 PM
Do these zones require "ZoneProxy"? I remember reading about that lonnnng ago, and it scared me away from ever making my own content with OpenZone. I tried once and made an OZ custom zone named "Nexus" and it worked pretty good... then, ADHD took over and next thing you know I am doing DB work elsewhere.

I like the work Sak was doing, and so far not convinced about SimpleClient (no offense - just never gave it a good whirl). If nothing, I'd love to learn how to "properly" create custom zones like this. In short, yes. Please.

Scorpious2k
01-23-2010, 07:45 PM

You can use zone proxy, but it is just as easy to replace zones you are not using by naming them the same. The only thing you have to watch out for is if the zone has EQG files. Since openzone outputs S3D you have to delete the EQG files for that zone.

Waldoff
02-08-2010, 09:33 PM
These are pretty damned nice. Is there any way to see who is the author of each? I am interested although not really a real part of the community so feel like I need to ask the author themselves.

Edit: Go go reading text files! Ignore my question and emphasize my "These are pretty damned nice"

Edit: Oh hello extremely old thread.